Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Amps & crossovers where/how to mount ?

Corvette-Pilot

Corvette
1994 Black Rose Coupe
I'm on the verge of buying a new sound system for my 94 coupe. I went looking this weekend and noticed the 5.25 seperates use a crossover network that is the size of the speaker ! Where the heck do you hide these things??
Also was thinking of mounting the amp on the verticle wall just behind the seat. I didn't want to just drill holes. I have heard there is some sort of trick to put a wood board under the carpet and attach to that.

One other am option is to put it flat on the floor of the rear hatch area. I will go this way should I decide to add a sub and make a "false" floor and carpet it thus hiding everything under the floor.

Just wanted to know what you guys did to get around this.

Thanks

I have 2 Pioneer amps and 2 10 inch subs mounted in the back of mine as seen in pic. I got it like this otherwise I think I would have preferred to keep the limited luggage space I had before all this junk went in. No crossovers visible in mine I don't think, certainly nothing the size of a speaker...

RJSROCKET,
I have to say, that is what I am trying to avoid ! ;LOL

I did the killer systems thing back in the 80's-90's.
I am looking to upgrade the Blose Gold to something that I can hear with the windows open :Steer
I want it to be stealthy so when someone looks inside the car there wont be anything to see (except the HU)

The crossovers I was refering to go with the 5 1/4 front speakers.
Here is a link to one set from Kenwood.
http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=22&sortBy=price&productId=2429

Maybe those puppies could fit under the seat?? Not sure if they would get in the way of the power adj?

Finally! My cup of tea!

Ok here we go!

First I have an 85 and your interior is different so understand the differences and apply the info.

Im not sure where your door speakers are but on ours there is a large bose box in the door....remove it see ya tommorrow LOL

Now in place of the box insert a MDF 3/4 panel to fit the large square hole in your door. Cut a speaker hole into the panel install speaker...simple now as for the crossover simply attach it to the back of the panel as not to interupt the door panel.

Doing this will also allow you to use the factory looks so throw away those fancy speaker grills you got with the speakers.

As for the tweeters...mount them where ever you want.

Now as for the amps do NOT install them behind your seats!

They get very hot and the back of your seat are plastic. And if your a bigger guy like me you will end up with the seat right againts the amp....not pretty. Plus thieves can see it easily.

Heres what I did (I'll get you guys pictures I had to RMA an amp so its not the prettiest back there ATM) Take 2 2x2's and cut them in half length wise. (table saw is what I used) lay them down behind the rear door compartments. These will be your amp rack.

Now you can take regular 2x4's and create a "box" or "subfloor". The reason for the racks is so you can mount the amps permanently and ripping them allows amp clearance. (measure your amps height Mine was just under 2 inchs.

after you've got your box made and the racks in remove your compartment doors and throw em in the garage. Now your going to have two very large holes....speaker boxes?

simply put a board across the openings and install whatever speaker you choose voila! instant sub boxes (and they work trust me)

Now make a cover! I used 3/4 MDF with a piano hinge in the middle so I can gain amp access.

(Of course carpet all the above pieces)

You will see NOTHING from the windows and your stereo will look STOCK (Minus the deck) Its a very professional install look.

Ive had my stereo ripped off me 3 times and two of those were in the Vette since Ive done this nothing...Ive also downgraded my stereo quite a bit and used the money on my house Im building so when I post pictures please don't say anything about my PYLE amps LOL.

If you have any questions or concerns just PM or Email me Id be glad to help you.

Just give me a week or two.

I'll get my RMA amp back and complete the installation (Or reinstallation)

The gear Im using is a TAD smaller and lower end but WTH right.

Panasonic 5 Volt deck
Pyle 2 channel ethernal
Pyle 4 Channel ethernal (the RMA one Grrr)
Alpine Component's ( 5 1/4 )
JL 3 way 6x9's.....Coming out and Pyle Waves are going in later
All Phoenix Gold Quicksilver wiring (Pwr and Gnd)
Stinger RCA's (the Blue one way direction ones)
ProLink 1 Farad Cap.....If I can ever get it going (I had the diode stolen with the rest of the stuff in the car)
Stinger Ground distribution block
Phoenix Gold Quicksilver 2 way fuse block
"" "" Battery Inline fuse
2 JL 10" W0's

Pretty basic really except for the deck and the wiring, I toned it down ALOT from the theft and put the money into a down on our new house we're building next year.

I used to have a Sony 7557 Mobile ES with 2 Kicker 12's.

Cool part is I still have the massive aluminum plank for the amp and Im going to use it on the edge of the box mabe. The plank has light holes made into it I could use for something like a bass pulse monitor or better yet a power meter.

Who knows but I'll get some pictures quickly here.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom