Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another example of the NCRS/eBay effect on parts

Viking,

The NCRS will let you go through judging with a state issued Vin.

Tom

This topic and auto theft has at least benefitted us somewhat where newer cars are concerned. While it will always be possible to build a fake, at least the manufacturer's are trying to make it harder, even if their purpose is theft deterrance or otherwise. Of the four cars (no Vettes) in my driveway, three have the VIN either stamped or on a GM hologram tear-apart sticker on every last body panel and major component under the hood and under the car. Heck, I had the seats out to shampoo and was amazed to find one on the inner seat track. Will there be fakes of today's cars in twenty years? Heck yes. But will it be more and more dificult to pull off? I think and hope the answer is yes.

As for Tom's hope that someday a light shines down from heaven and uncovers build records from St Louis. We konw it's doubtful and part of me hopes it never happens in a million years because it would rip the hobby to shreds, ruin friendships, and dare I say could result is a death or two (we are talking about amounts quickly approaching the mid & high six figures in some cars).

One big benefit to the NCRS is that as with any club, people talk (gossip) and once a person is branded a faker, that reputation will follow. As long as people investigate and ask the right questions about their sellers and ask the right people about the cars, at least there is some level of security. Is this a foolproof system? By no means, but it's the best we have and we just have to throw down the money and hope for the best.

Viking427 said:
..so when did the NCRS suddenly become the FBI ??? ..if so, exactly how does the NCRS determine which car is presently on the Feds stolen car list, attempting to conceal its identity and thus banned from judging
The NCRS has no access to any of that, as you know. NCRS Flight judging is about the appearance of originality, and the VIN and trim tag are the only parts on the car that document what the car was originally and is supposed to look like today - the car's DNA, if you will. State-issued VINs are accepted under the assumption that the car has been inspected and verified against its title either by frame VIN or paper documentation (or both), but all the VIN tells you is body style and (by derivation) when it was built. The trim tag, however, is the defining item that, in addition to matching the VIN, shows what the car was originally in terms of model year, build date, body style, body source, color and trim, and that's what the car is supposed to look like today in terms of judging its "appearance of originality" as it left St. Louis.

That's why a car can't be judged without a trim tag, or can do no better than Second Flight regardless of its appearance/scoring if it has a reproduction trim tag; in either case, there's nothing genuine left that defines that car's original configuration, against which to judge it. It's as simple as that. NCRS doesn't publish a list of known fakes or share that information with anyone; it just prevents a car from getting a Top Flight award that can't prove its original DNA.
:beer

magicv8 said:
Tyler - the word "driver" is a term that in automotive context and correct English usage describes the occupant of the car seat with the steering wheel before it. NCRS people use it in a derogatory sense, and it is resented by many. Please try to contain your disdain and at the same time use good grammar.
Huhhhh! I have 5 corvettes, 4 'drivers' 61, 66, 68, 90ZR and one 'ghost' 88 ZR1 that has 3,600 mi: its original down to the 'not for resale' tires. That car has 2 vins, no mso, a build sheet with all kinds of things scratched off and written in including the second vin(which is the one on the dash) and P number, a valid Fl title, a current Fl plate, the PAD build instructions, the engine build book that matches the engine and some day I am going to have it NCRS judged.
http://corvetteactioncenter.com/cgi-bin/archives/imageFolio.cgi?action=view&link=1984_-_1996/ZR-1/Prototypes&image=87_buildsheet.jpg&img=&tt=

Even my non corvette friends know what a driver car is and it is not a derogitory term to me or them.

Tyler

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom