Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Homelink Install

bobs78

Corvette
50th AE vert - 25th SA - 54 Polo White
Here's another alternative for those who want to install a Homelink in there C5's w/o any major modification to there cars.

View attachment 9297

:upthumbs

good job!

We need details man......details!

Looks very good....I love this on my truck, does it work well mounted down there ( I ask this not knowing anything about the technology other than the uncluttered look it gives my sunvisor).

bossvette said:
What is a "homelink"? :confused

I have 3 buttons (factory) below my rearview in the overhead console that control my garage door openers. It learns the code and you can ditch the "clip on" door openers.
Don't know that much but I think you can train it to turn on lights, etc.....

I'll have to look into that, it beats carrying the opener from car to car :D

I got a Homelink unit on eBay for less than $30. Don't laugh it was for a KIA View attachment 9298 Here's another 4sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...3842&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

I drilled a 9/32 hole under the aux power outlet to run the two wires to it. The trim piece above the aux power plug on the console where the active handling switch is snaps off from the rear then lifts up.

The leads on the aux power outlet are pressed into the plug that attaches on the back. I pulled the plug off the back of the aux power outlet then pushed the wires out the back of the plug attached the Homelink wires and reinserted them back into the aux power plug.

To fit the Homelink in the console I removed two screws from the back of the to remove the cover. Cut down the tabs on the Homelink unit and trimmed the cover down to fit.

It works great...no problem with it being located in the console. :D

bobs78 said:
I got a Homelink unit on eBay for less than $30. Don't laugh it was for a KIA View attachment 9298 Here's another 4sale http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8028503842&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

I drilled a 9/32 hole under the aux power outlet to run the two wires to it. The trim piece above the aux power plug on the console where the active handling switch is snaps off from the rear then lifts up.

The leads on the aux power outlet are pressed into the plug that attaches on the back. I pulled the plug off the back of the aux power outlet then pushed the wires out the back of the plug attached the Homelink wires and reinserted them back into the aux power plug.

To fit the Homelink in the console I removed two screws from the back of the to remove the cover. Cut down the tabs on the Homelink unit and trimmed the cover down to fit.

It works great...no problem with it being located in the console. :D

Thanks I may be asking some questions once I do my install on "training" it but its bought and paid for much less then buying another remote, who knows I may do it to all my cars at that price.;LOL

bobs78 said:
Here's another alternative for those who want to install a Homelink in there C5's w/o any major modification to there cars.

View attachment 9297

:upthumbs

Don't you find it a PITA to open your console every time you want to raise your garage door? I mounted my conventionally to the visor.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious. I'm a big guy and it's a pain to try and get into my console while driving.

I bought an battery powered opener, about the size of a quarter and velcro mounted it just above the rearview mirror. Works great and out of site.

PreacherNutshot said:
Don't you find it a PITA to open your console every time you want to raise your garage door? I mounted my conventionally to the visor.

I'm not criticizing, I'm just curious. I'm a big guy and it's a pain to try and get into my console while driving.

First of all its all your fault..:mad I saw your post on installing the homelink and it got me started with these things.

Yea, its more of a PITA than on the visor or in the glove box on my '78 but I wanted the conveinance without any obivious outward apperance changes to the cars. Also the install on the 03, other than triming and painting the unit cover, took less than 20 minutes.

Thanks for the idea :beer

bobs78 said:
First of all its all your fault..:mad I saw your post on installing the homelink and it got me started with these things.

Yea, its more of a PITA than on the visor or in the glove box on my '78 but I wanted the conveinance without any obivious outward apperance changes to the cars. Also the install on the 03, other than triming and painting the unit cover, took less than 20 minutes.

Thanks for the idea :beer

Fair enough. :L

Should I share my pics if I install my seat warmers this winter? ;)

BTW: the fit and finish looks great!

PreacherNutshot said:
Fair enough. :L

Should I share my pics if I install my seat warmers this winter? ;)

BTW: the fit an finish looks great!

Thanks for the compliment :)

Seat Watmers ;LOL Hmmmm, we did have a freeze warning last night (first for the season) but only when down to 34...but nice and sunny and 63 today :cool

Maybe Seat Coolers for the summer when its 108 :mad

:w

bobs78 said:
Thanks for the compliment :)

Seat Watmers ;LOL Hmmmm, we did have a freeze warning last night (first for the season) but only when down to 34...but nice and sunny and 63 today :cool

Maybe Seat Coolers for the summer when its 108 :mad

:w

Go ahead, rub it in. It's 29 degrees and the wind's blowing at a steady 30mph. Damn - it just plain cold. brrrrrr.. :cry

[Where'd I put that heater kit?]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom