Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Another Key Fob Question

I havent had time to deal with getting a new key fob from the dealer, so I've been using the #2 fob. Now the #2 fob is acting up. That would seem to indicate that it is not the fobs that are the problem, it is the car. Guess I'll be going to the dealer sooner than I wanted. :eyerole

Is there a buliten or something about reprogramming the RCDLR? Would it show up in my car's service history if it had been done?

Jason

Jason,

Look at C4C5's website (see his signature above).

Under the C6 Forums there is one for "Recalls - Campaigns - Bulletins". Search for a thread named "07260A Keyless Access System inop".

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Save The Wave,
John

Thanks John.:thumb Found the recall. My car's VIN is not in the window given, but it describes exactly what is happening with my car.

Guess I'm making an appointment at the dealer for next week.

Jason

So I took my car into the dealership today. I gave them a copy of the bulletin and told them that is exactly what my car was doing. I gave them both fobs and told them that it happens most with the #1 fob.

Of course they were unable to duplicate the issue. The service tech did check my car's history though, it says she has the fixed version of the key fob module and the up to date software.

I have not been able to nail down a sure fire way to duplicate this issue. Did GM ever figure out how to duplicate it, or was it always a intermittent issue?

Jason

I do not know the build date of my car, and short of buying a build sheet from the NCM I don't have any ideas on how to find out. Anyone know another way to find out the build date?

Jason

I posted my VIN and I was told by another member that my build date was 5/29/2008. Someone here should be able to get that for you.:thumb

Great Zagooks Batman this thread is better than Desperate Housewives!!!!!!

make sure you don't have a cell phone near-by or on you and that you are trying to start the car with the fob in the open. mine does what yours is doing if I do not keep it in a certain pocket or out in the open. does your car ever beep at you 3 times when you get back in after leaving the door open? if so, the car is not recognizing the fob due to interference or the "dead" zone which your dealer said was not an issue.

When I fill up at the gas station, I usually leave the door open. Once I'm done, I'll get back in and close the door. That is the only time she's honked at me, and that is because she detected the key fob after the door was closed.

It's been 3 weeks since I took her to the dealership, and I have not had any issues. The dealership says they did not do anything. :confused Oh well, I'm not going to complain.

Jason

I Have Had Similar Problem Several Times

When I fill up at the gas station, I usually leave the door open. Once I'm done, I'll get back in and close the door. That is the only time she's honked at me, and that is because she detected the key fob after the door was closed.

It's been 3 weeks since I took her to the dealership, and I have not had any issues. The dealership says they did not do anything. :confused Oh well, I'm not going to complain.

Jason

Hi,
See you've tried everything! I have a 2008 and recently had this happen. I, as you did, had a long distance check of the panic alarm and it worked well. Since the car is about a year old I thought I would check the battery anyway. Did that with a good battery checker that puts a load on the battery. It was fine.
It happended again the other day with "no fob detected message." I took the key out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder. Started fine.
It is unusual for me to put the key Fob in the same pocket as my cell phone but in this case they were both together. I wonder if the signal from the cell phonce can confuse the FOB signal?? For now I will test that postulate and track any errors. I also just purchased a CAN OBD II and ckecked to see if I generated any trouble codes. None were shown.
If the dealer every gives you any suggestions let me know.
Jerry

Jerry, since I went to the dealer, I have not had any issues with the car not recognizing the key fob. I've been using both fobs (I grab the closest one in the morning), and no issues.

My dealer says they didnt do anything, other than verify my car was running the correct software version. Apparently that is all it needed. Good luck with your troubleshooting.

:thumb Jason

Here is another type of FOB question. Got 2009 vette and it's imposible to get the key out of the FOB. No matter how hard you push the button, the key will not release. I have an appointment with dealer in the morning for a couple of minor warranty items so will add this to the list. If I learn the trick, I'll post it here. I have a Lexus and a Mini Cooper S with FOB's that have a key and they come right out without any effort at all.

Hard to Remove

Here is another type of FOB question. Got 2009 vette and it's imposible to get the key out of the FOB. No matter how hard you push the button, the key will not release. I have an appointment with dealer in the morning for a couple of minor warranty items so will add this to the list. If I learn the trick, I'll post it here. I have a Lexus and a Mini Cooper S with FOB's that have a key and they come right out without any effort at all.

Hi,
Mine was very hard to remove the first time as well. Had to push hard on the little button on the side, then pull with a lot of effort. Took several tries before it came out. I would let the dealer try. If they break it with a plyers they buy the new one!
Jerry

Thanks Jerry. There is no way this should be this hard. Believe I'll just take both fobs with me in the morning and let the dealer work with it. I have pushed and pulled as hard as I can. Thanks for your response.

Thanks Jerry. There is no way this should be this hard. Believe I'll just take both fobs with me in the morning and let the dealer work with it. I have pushed and pulled as hard as I can. Thanks for your response.

I put a key ring on the fob and that made it easy to pull. Now the key comes out with no trouble. When it loosens up a bit, I can take the ring off.

Validated My Previous Finding

Hi,
See you've tried everything! I have a 2008 and recently had this happen. I, as you did, had a long distance check of the panic alarm and it worked well. Since the car is about a year old I thought I would check the battery anyway. Did that with a good battery checker that puts a load on the battery. It was fine.
It happended again the other day with "no fob detected message." I took the key out of my pocket and put it in the cup holder. Started fine.
It is unusual for me to put the key Fob in the same pocket as my cell phone but in this case they were both together. I wonder if the signal from the cell phonce can confuse the FOB signal?? For now I will test that postulate and track any errors. I also just purchased a CAN OBD II and ckecked to see if I generated any trouble codes. None were shown.
If the dealer every gives you any suggestions let me know.
Jerry
July 2009,
Have validated the above previous post made months ago. Have gotten the "No Key Fob" message 3 or 4 more times. Everytime the Key Fob was in the same pocket as my cell phone! Took it out of the pocket and all was fine! It has not happended other times whn it was not in the same pocket. Could be a coincidence but statistically it is becoming a more valid assumption!
Jerry
Decided to google to see if my postulate had any validity. Found a comment about a warning in a 2007 Nissan owners manual which reportedly said "Do not keep the electronic key together with products emitting electromagnetic waves such as a cellular phone." Looked in our 2009 Nissan Morano owners manual but no such comment.
However this is what I found in my 2008 Corvette Owners Manual page 2-5 in regard to having problems with key fob; "Check to make sure that an electronic device such as a cellular phone or lap top computer is not causing interference." From this I have to assume under certain conditions having the Key Fob and Cell Phone in the same pocket could casue intererence.
Jerry 7/25/09

Same here. My FOB was in my pocket with and behind my iPhone. Once I took the FOB out of my pocket the car started fine.:upthumbs

I Was Starting to Wonder If It Was Me!

Same here. My FOB was in my pocket with and behind my iPhone. Once I took the FOB out of my pocket the car started fine.:upthumbs

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. Surprised we haven't seen more posts on the subject. Glad you observed the same thing. Perhaps these posts will help others. As the GM Owners Manual says the system works at radio frequences.
Jerry

Battry for keyless entry - help!

Can anyone tell how to change the battery in the fob? In the manual it says there are opening slots on side & bottom. I don't see them. Looks like you'd have to take a pocket knife to it. Don't want to do that. Has anyone done this?:confused

Can anyone tell how to change the battery in the fob? In the manual it says there are opening slots on side & bottom. I don't see them. Looks like you'd have to take a pocket knife to it. Don't want to do that. Has anyone done this?:confused
Hi,
First pull out the key. Manual doesn't say that but you can then use a screwdriver to pry the two sections apart. If you don't you would need a shape knife with a stong blade.
By the way in support of my other post on not keeping the key fob and cell phone in the same pocket-just had the same experiance with my wifes 2009 Murano! Got a no key message. Pulled out cell phone from the pocket that also had the key fob and all was fine!
Jerry

Opening Key Fob for Battery Replacement

Thanks. I did pull the key out of the fob, but it sure is a tight seal. Could not find the "slot" they mention in the manual. I tried a strong pocket knife, but it wouldn't budge and I didn't want to break it. Do yiyu know where these supposed slots are?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom