Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Another Kind of Corvette

Remo

Gone but not forgotten
Corvette
2001 Quicksilver Lingenfelter Convertible
Recent addition to the Swedish Navy. The SNV Visby - a "Corvette" class vessel. Small, fast attack ship - in this case designed with modern stealth technology. Equiped with surface to surface (RBS15) and surface to air (SAM) missles. Max speed 15 knots - capable of 35 knots over short distances. "No quarter mile figures available at this time.

Remo:cool
visbystor.jpeg

Speed data on ships is notoriously underquoted that ship can probably go twice as fast as stated or more.

I understand some of the USA's major nuclear warships can hit 60 knots (60 knots equals 69 mph, a knot is 6,080 feet vs. a mile at 5,280 feet) or better, including some aircraft carriers. Some of the more modern nuclear subs are also astonishingly fast underwater.

Sixty knots on water is very fast; I have a bass boat that will do right at 60 mph and it feels faster than 150 in my vette, or say 120 on my motorcycle.

My son-in-law just bought a new 48 foot Cabo that will do 50 knots and its optimal cruise speed is about 35 knots, and that is blazing fast for a yacht size civilian boat. Most big tournamnet fishing boats cruise at about 20 knots. Only $1.8 million by the way and requires a full time, year around crew of at least 2.

Oh, I forgot what I really wanted to say. My wife recently ordered a new Cadillac to replace her 2004 SLS and while she was looking a dealer tried to get her to consider a CTS-V. It has a hand built LS6 engine rated at 400 hp and a 6 speed manual, big wheels, huge brakes (like the Z06 Vette). The dealer said it was basically a Z06 Corvette with a Cadillac body.

It was a new holdover and he was offering it at nearly a $30,000 discount off MSRP.

She ordered a new DTS with the perfomance package (more hp, magnetic ride control, 18" wheels, bigger brakes, etc.) and the "Tehama" glove leather interior. I bet you didn't know the top of the line new Cadillac's had three levels of leather choices for the interior.

I hope GM is paying attention. I think that the surface to surface missle option would be a big seller on the C6.

Visby...crusingspeed 40 kn. Powerd by 3 huge diselengines with waterjet. I have been "driving" it:D

// Max

No, Hotwing, Sweden doesn't throw up its hands and surrender. Sweden has its own military, of course. It's just that historically, Sweden has tended to remain neutral in world conflicts.

As for who who attack Sweden, well, I understand there are still many European countries harboring a grudge for all those years in the middle ages of being assaulted, pillaged, plundered and humiliated by Vikings. So its either Sweden field it's own military to forestall these attacks, or find a way of blaming the whole Viking thing on Finland.

-Patrick

Hotwing,

Yours is a widely held misconception. I spent 13 years in the employ of a Swedish company, 9 years of which were in various management and senior management positions. Over the years, I made many trips to Sweden, and came to have a fairly good understanding of their culture.

Do not mistake their neutrality stance with being wusses. They are as proud of their military (especially their naval forces) as we are of ours. The sea is a big part of the Swedish mindset. How many places in the world would it be reasonable or possible to board a private pleasure craft, and after a short journey, dine in a neighboring country (e.g., Finland, Åland)? As for their other military branches, remember that Saab was an aircraft company before they became an auto producer. To this day, Saab and Ericsson jointly produce the EriEye system, which is their version of AWACS.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Navy

Mr. Lucky..you are right and thanks...

Hotwing...you should know that the US Navy/Government has rented a Sweden Submarine for 2 years now. It is in San Diego. Why, do you think, they do that?

I have proudly served in the Sweden Navy for 35 years.
// Max

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom