Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

another oil change???

sorbet02

Corvette
2002 SPEEDWAYWHITE
im about to buy a set of raceramps so i can do my own oil change. but here is my ??.would it be the end of the world if i just drive it up the ramps on a level surface and drain the oil without jacking up the back??????:confused

lets say you took a bath. your done, the water is dirty, but you only drain half the water. next day, you want to take another bath, so you fill the tub back up,with half the dirty water still in it. would it be the end of the world? no, but you would not be clean eather. ;) I would jack up the back and do it right.

My driveway slopes slightly down toward the street. I put the ramps going down the drive, then when the car is on the ramp it is basicly level if not slightly nose down. So instead of using a level location, find a slope.

tom...

characters_trashheap.jpg

The Trash Heap Has Spoken!

I'm with the rest. Only if the car is level or the front is a little lower.
The drain plug is toward the front.

I usually end up jacking both the front and the back when I do it myself, but it is a good bit of trouble.

Last time I changed the oil I took it to a drive-over oil-change pit place - with my own oil and filter- and went down in the pit with them to make sure they did it right. Cost $25 (plus the oil and filter) but it was over with in 10 minutes.

Tammy

MsSchroder said:
I'm with the rest. Only if the car is level or the front is a little lower.
The drain plug is toward the front.

I usually end up jacking both the front and the back when I do it myself, but it is a good bit of trouble.

Last time I changed the oil I took it to a drive-over oil-change pit place - with my own oil and filter- and went down in the pit with them to make sure they did it right. Cost $25 (plus the oil and filter) but it was over with in 10 minutes.

Tammy

Tammy - I'm going to be good and not comment about anything on your reponse and I'll also reserve comment on the entire subject. Aren't I being a good boy?

Remo :cool

I found the fastest way to replace the oil properly is to jack the car up from the front driver side jacking point. With the car up I slide a jackstand under the front suspension, for safety reasons. If everything goes as planned the jackstand never touches the car. Just there in case the floor jack fails.

After I remove the drain plug I lower the car back down keeping the jack in position (don't forget the jackstand). After the oil is completely drained (about 10-15 min) I jack it back up and replace the plug along with a new filter. There is a suprising amont of oil that drains after the car is lowered, never measured it but it looks to be about 1/2-3/4 quart.

This whole process takes about 1/2 hour, with a good portion of the time waiting for the oil to completey drain.

Also, being I only use the car in warmer weather I decided to switch to 10W30 instead of 5W30.

RocketJ

The weight or viscosity of the oil is driven by two things, one driving conditions and engine clearances (main and rod), so be careful.
Just my .02.........:beer :w

sorbet02 said:
im about to buy a set of raceramps so i can do my own oil change. but here is my ??.would it be the end of the world if i just drive it up the ramps on a level surface and drain the oil without jacking up the back??????:confused
You must be one skinny guy if you planned to use just front ramps. I agree with the others.

Remo said:
Tammy - I'm going to be good and not comment about anything on your reponse and I'll also reserve comment on the entire subject. Aren't I being a good boy?

Remo :cool
I noticed you were very quiet on the subject. There I was, baring my soul with the admission that DIY oil changes are a bit of a pain, and you let me get away with it. I think this must mean... winter is officially over! :D

RocketJ said:
I found the fastest way to replace the oil properly is to jack the car up from the front driver side jacking point. With the car up I slide a jackstand under the front suspension, for safety reasons. If everything goes as planned the jackstand never touches the car. Just there in case the floor jack fails.

After I remove the drain plug I lower the car back down keeping the jack in position (don't forget the jackstand). After the oil is completely drained (about 10-15 min) I jack it back up and replace the plug along with a new filter. There is a suprising amont of oil that drains after the car is lowered, never measured it but it looks to be about 1/2-3/4 quart.

This whole process takes about 1/2 hour, with a good portion of the time waiting for the oil to completey drain.

Also, being I only use the car in warmer weather I decided to switch to 10W30 instead of 5W30.

RocketJ

exactly what i do.

cruzer82 said:
The weight or viscosity of the oil is driven by two things, one driving conditions and engine clearances (main and rod), so be careful.
Just my .02.........:beer :w

cruzer82,

I'm aware thar bearing clearances determine viscosity. I'm just following the owners manual. GM puts their blessing on 10W30 as long as you drive above 30 deg F. Being I store the car in the winter this should not be a problem.

RocketJ

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom