Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-theft Alarm System 1981

C

CHARMSLC

I have just recently purchased my 1981 vette and it appears to have an alarm system, I don't know how to activate it or where it is. I was told that my car's alarm was factory installed but some, but others say it not. Can you tell me how to use it or am I just going to have to disarm it? thank you

Not sure if your 81 is the exact as my 80 but the anti-theft alarm is armed using the left door lock or driver doors. It is armed at the same time you turn to lock the door by turning counterclock to lock. To disarm just unlock using the same door. Note if you have power locks and use them to lock the door this doesn't arm the system. The actual working for the alarm switch is in the door switch with the horn near the firewall in the left fender.

Hope this helps.

Anti Theft Alarm

Thank you i'll try it...
jimred75 said:
Not sure if your 81 is the exact as my 80 but the anti-theft alarm is armed using the left door lock or driver doors. It is armed at the same time you turn to lock the door by turning counterclock to lock. To disarm just unlock using the same door. Note if you have power locks and use them to lock the door this doesn't arm the system. The actual working for the alarm switch is in the door switch with the horn near the firewall in the left fender.

Hope this helps.

I have a Viper In my 81 and you turn the key in the driver side to activate and deactivate but I always seem to have problems with it not turning off all the way and the alarm goes off a lot, so I never turn it on.

Anti Theft Alarm

thank you very much for the info, i will try it...
Bender said:
I have a Viper In my 81 and you turn the key in the driver side to activate and deactivate but I always seem to have problems with it not turning off all the way and the alarm goes off a lot, so I never turn it on.

My anti-theft system is not working on my 1980. All of the parts seam to be in place. Does anyone have a suggestion for trouble shooting this system? Are there any parts that are likely to be bad? Can I buy pass different switches to help in locating where the problem could be? Any help with this issue will be appreciated.

My 1981 Corvette was stolen (in 1988) with the factory alarm on. What the car thiefs do is punch a hole in the side of the battery bay and cut the wire. You can defeat this by getting a piece of plate steel cut (Lowes, Home Depot) and placing it on the drivers side edge of the battery.

In getting my alarm to work, first try pulling out the door switches to check for loose ends also check the hood switch. I never pulled the switches located in the roof holes. I believe there is also a switch or relay in the console area by the shifter. Also try just connecting a wire to test the alarm horn found in the firewall area on the drivers side just in case the horn itself is the problem.

Thanks for the information.

I checked all the switches and they are ok. It looks like the horn is not working and for some reason there is 12volts to the horn all of the time. The 12volts is coming form the gauge and clock circuit not the anti-theft circuit. Because when I pull the fuss to the gauge circuit the 12volts goes away. Stay tuned.

All 80-82 models have factory alarm systems. The t-tops are tied to the system.

Read through your owner's manual. For 80, the alarm was set from only the driver's door. For 81 and 82, it can be armed from either door.

It's easy to test. Roll a window down, lock the doors and arm the system, flip the t-top latch. The alarm should sound.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom