Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anti-Theft Device

brian7836

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige
I am considering buying either a brake lock or a column lock as a theft preventative. Any opinoins or experience?

-Hello Brian: -good question, -the other night some drugie broke into my nice ol'70/VW-bug (covered in front of my office) and was so hep't-up on Meth. he used the arm-extension of the steering-wheel Bar-lock as a lever to actually break the Bar and badly bent the steering-wheel, then ripped-out a dozen wires trying to hot-wire her; -only to finally be defeated by the factory steering-wheel ignition-lock which he was working on when I apparently scared him off (he left so quickly that he did'nt take his handtools, --but unfortunately did do $500-damage now repaired)! Thus, although the steering-wheel Bar is most convenient to install, --it apparently only discourages amature-thiefs, while the type of security-device which essentially "hooks between the steering-wheel and brake-pedal" may be much more effective (nothing is 100%, --but let's see what others think about it)... ~Bob vH
;shrug

All you need is a simple Kill Switch that the thief will have a hard time finding. A simple mini toggle switch hid inside that kills the starting circuit works fine; costs hardly anything to do, and will deter the thief from spending time tearing apart your car to find out how you did it so he can start the car. Bars across the steering wheel are no good cause the steering wheel can be cut with a hacksaw in 10 seconds or less.

I use the AutoLock. It's locks my Clutch Pedal. You have to press the clutch down to start the car. I also keep it in 1st gear, so towing will be tougher. I know it can be bypassed, but Not too EZ...:gap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom