Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Antique???

Robertwav1

Corvette
1993 Blue
I have a 93 coupe and I thought as the car reaches it 25th year I could get an antique tag but, looking on the DMV here in Florida it has to be 30 years old. Just curious if other states are different and recognize 25 years as old as dirt for a car. No biggy, just thought I could save a little on car insurance. I can't believe I had that car for 25 years! It's looks as good as the day I bought it.....my my, how time flies!

I have them on my '90. It's 25 years in Illinois to be an antique. But Congrats anyway!

I also own an '05, which is much faster and more refined, but the C4 is more of a Brute. Totally different personalities.

Wow....lucky you on the 05. I would own another vette if I had a place to put it. Garage is full and so is the driveway....too many vehicles for another car. I need a building....lol!

I need more room too. 2.5 car garage with 3 cars,..Somebody's sitting outside (and it isn't either of the Vettes.) Either! The C6 was a post-holiday, "From me to us," kinda thing.

Last edited:
Can't remember if OH is 25 or 30. But they do stipulate that the plates are only for going to car shows or club meetings. They aren't supposed to be used for daily drivers. Some do it anyway. Just like here you aren't supposed to drive with your handicap placard hanging from the rear view mirror, it's supposed to be when you are parked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea same here with the antique plates. Antique car insurance limits my yearly mileage to a 1000 a year too.

You might look into Grundy or Hagerty insurance for the '93. Their prices are pretty low.

Elaine

Even better. Check out American Modern Ins. Co. I have them on my '90. Their rates are way lower than Hagerty (who I previously had,) with the same limits and services. I was paying $480 at Hagerty and now pay $260. at American Modern.

Thanks all, will check into the insurance. I did have hagerty at one time for an agreed value but the prices kept going up and up so I went back to my regular insurance company. I'll check out American though....

Even better. Check out American Modern Ins. Co. I have them on my '90. Their rates are way lower than Hagerty (who I previously had,) with the same limits and services. I was paying $480 at Hagerty and now pay $260. at American Modern.

I have Nat'l Corvette Museum insurance. Full coverage at a quarter of what I was paying Farmer's

I have a 93 coupe and I thought as the car reaches it 25th year I could get an antique tag but, looking on the DMV here in Florida it has to be 30 years old. Just curious if other states are different and recognize 25 years as old as dirt for a car. No biggy, just thought I could save a little on car insurance. I can't believe I had that car for 25 years! It's looks as good as the day I bought it.....my my, how time flies!

Mine is a '90. 22yrs in Michigan.

I went to a local car show and learned some states (at least NC) offer transporter tags which limit personal property tax to $500 in NC. From what I was told, there is an advantage over antique tags; again at least in NC. It's one one of those YMMV, but worth looking into....

25 in NJ ,but "anything" below a 96 is state inspection exempt now.No more tail pipe emission tests also. My 96 F-150 super cab XLT 4X4 still has to go, as long as the CEL isn't on & it works it pases , Still has OB1 so it cant be pluged in. My 08 & 09 Pontiacs get pluged in. State insp good for two years.

25 in NJ ,but "anything" below a 96 is state inspection exempt now.No more tail pipe emission tests also. My 96 F-150 super cab XLT 4X4 still has to go, as long as the CEL isn't on & it works it pases , Still has OB1 so it cant be pluged in. My 08 & 09 Pontiacs get pluged in. State insp good for two years.

Just before I left NJ in 2013 they gave me a real hard time with emmissions. The Ox sensors were a little lazy but they worked fine. These C4's are starting to get old like me. Plan on passing her down soon and hope it's kept in the family for another 25 years or maybe longer. It's been really a great ride and still thrilling to drive....I need to get er out a little more often. Interesting posts on the insurance thing and I will be sure to check them out.

Just before I left NJ in 2013 they gave me a real hard time with emmissions. The Ox sensors were a little lazy but they worked fine. These C4's are starting to get old like me. Plan on passing her down soon and hope it's kept in the family for another 25 years or maybe longer. It's been really a great ride and still thrilling to drive....I need to get er out a little more often. Interesting posts on the insurance thing and I will be sure to check them out.
Ya,thats when Christine Withman the then Gov adapted the CA type of emission tests/ on the dyno & thay were run by State employees,waiting times were outrageous,now its privatized & a lot faster.
Another thing on QQ historic plates,NJ is cracking down on them.Guy in work bought a 100% org 56 Bird,got the QQ's with no problem.Another guy tried with a early 80's stang BUT he put on a small hood scoop , he was denided the plates because of that scoop.the scoup wasn't outragous,just a stang2 king cobra type. I got the Q's on my old 78 before I did any mods to it.

Last edited:
We're pretty conservative here in Kansas.

• Vehicle (auto, truck or motorcycle) must be at least 35 model years old or older, and not be altered or modified from the original manufacturer’s model, except for safety components. (Vehicles which are 35 years old and have been made into street rods and/or hot rods are no longer antique vehicles).

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom