Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Any difference between the Z06 pressure plate/clutch & stock pressure plate

Bill Boyle

Corvette
2001 Millenium Yellow Coupe
I will need to replace my clutch and pressure plate before the end of the year. Is there a performance difference between the Z06 and the stock clutch and pressure plate?

[ I realize this in not the standard mechanical clutch system but uses hydraulics to operate, nevertheless I must ask)

A few additional questions re the engagement/ disengagement location of the clutch pedal. Where is the proper adjustment position? 1) Is it the middle of the pedal travel? 2) Below it? 3) Above it? How does one adjust to perfect the adjustment?

So far 52 people have looked at this question and no one knows the answer as to the difference in the clutch systems. Is everybody driving automatics? :confused

So far 52 people have looked at this question and no one knows the answer as to the difference in the clutch systems. Is everybody driving automatics? :confused
There is no difference between the LS1 and LS6 clutches. If you are looking to upgrade, you could go with the LS7 clutch, it will handle everything your LS1 will ever give it... with a bit better feel. The system is self adjusting since it is hydaulicly actuated. My Z06 starts to engage about an inch off of the floor. Hope that helps...

BigJimZ16 -- Thanks for the informational response. :w

My clutch engages much, much higher in the pedal travel. I prefer it lower to the floor like yours. I've driven stick cars for 45 years and that's where I like it. ;)

Adjusting the hydraulics appears to be the solution--one that I'm not all that familiar with...yet.

There is no difference between the LS1 and LS6 clutches.
(snip)

I'm sorry, but the above statement is not correct.

There were actually two different clutches released for LS6 engines and both were different from the LS1 clutch.

For the 01 LS6 (385hp) a new pressure plate was released which had higher clutch pressure than what was used with LS1s. A second pressure plate was released for the 2002 engine (405hp) and it's holding pressure was further increased to 2475lbs.

Not only is the clutch different but the '02 LS6 clutch disc is different, too, having a thicker hub and higher rate damper springs.

The LS6 clutch and disc are an excellent performance upgrade for LS1s and the parts are bolt-on.

The clutch is self-adjusting. The clutch hydraulics are not adjustable.

If you want to make a significant change in the point at which the clutch releases, you need to go to an aftermarket clutch or consider one of the aftermarket clutch master cylinders which may be a different diameter and have a different stroke length. A change in cylinder diameter may change the release location but it also will change effort and the rate at which release occurs.

If there is air in your clutch hydraulics, you may be able to make a small change in release feel by bleeding the clutch. The instructions for doing that are in the Factory Service Manual.

(snip)

I'm sorry, but the above statement is not correct.

There were actually two different clutches released for LS6 engines and both were different from the LS1 clutch.

For the 01 LS6 (385hp) a new pressure plate was released which had higher clutch pressure than what was used with LS1s. A second pressure plate was released for the 2002 engine (405hp) and it's holding pressure was further increased to 2475lbs.

Not only is the clutch different but the '02 LS6 clutch disc is different, too, having a thicker hub and higher rate damper springs.

The LS6 clutch and disc are an excellent performance upgrade for LS1s and the parts are bolt-on.

If you want to make a significant change in the point at which the clutch releases, you need to go to an aftermarket clutch or consider one of the aftermarket clutch master cylinders which may be a different diameter and have a different stroke length. A change in cylinder diameter may change the release location but it also will change effort and the rate at which release occurs.

If there is air in your clutch hydraulics, you may be able to make a small change in release feel by bleeding the clutch. The instructions for doing that are in the Factory Service Manual.

Sorry guys, my error, my typing fingers (both of them) got ahead of my facts...

Learning--it's a good thing

BigJimZ16--Hib--

I'm quite familiar with automotive forums having run one myself for 12 years. I know it takes a lot to get people conversing about things to iron matters out.

I've always had an interest in Corvettes and owned a C3 before this C5. I also own a 4 speed 79 Trans Am--which is my hot rod. It sees little usage these days. I'm in the throes of restoring it a second time. It sports a CenterForce Dual Friction clutch system that is fully adjustable.

Anyway, the newer systems differ from the old iron I'm used to and it will take some serious study to get it all together. I appreciate the input and have learned something which I will explore further.

Much to learn about these newer Corvettes. :w

(snip)
(snip)

After some thought, I decided I'd better elaborate a bit. The clutch is self-adjusting but there is a "baseline adjustment" which the Factory Service Manual suggests be done, if necessary, during a clutch replacement. The FSM doesn't give specifics as to what would make an adjustment necessary nor does it suggest what the adjustement acomplishes though I suspect it puts the self-adjusting feature at the low-end of its "travel".. It might be possible that this adjustment procedure could change the release point of an existing clutch but I am not sure about that. There are two versions of the adjustment procedure, off-vehicle and on-vehicle. For further information see the Clutch section in the FSM.

Also, if you have air in your clutch hydraulics, you can change the clutch release point by bleeding the system. The procedure by which you do that is also in the Clutch section of the FSM.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom