Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Any forum members used/or have muffler eliminators - your thoughts?

bobavett

Corvette
1986 C4 AUTO Torch Red Tan & Black Interior Coupe
Hi all :)

I'm half way through my 86 coupe rebuild and am now looking at the exhaust.

Have any forum members used muffler eliminators before or currently?

What are the PRO's and CON's ....????:confused

I have seen some on YOUTUBE and they sound great .... my only concern would be resonance and cabin noise :eek:hnoes

as always your comments and input will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Darren

Darren, I tried a pair on my 1988 a few years back. They didn't stay on for long. Resonance was annoying and they produced poping noises on deacceleration. A rear y-pipe with balance tube didn't help. They did offer some performance improvements over the stock mufflers, which on 2.59 autos, has only one working tip per side. I ended up going with aftermarket mufflers that had four open tips. Performance was better than stock, louder from the rear, and just a little increase in interior decibles. Now I own a 1989 auto with 3.07, which came stock with 4 fully opened tips. I replaced those with the same aftermarket mufflers with 4 open tips.

Darren, I tried a pair on my 1988 a few years back. They didn't stay on for long. Resonance was annoying and they produced poping noises on deacceleration. A rear y-pipe with balance tube didn't help. They did offer some performance improvements over the stock mufflers, which on 2.59 autos, has only one working tip per side. I ended up going with aftermarket mufflers that had four open tips. Performance was better than stock, louder from the rear, and just a little increase in interior decibles. Now I own a 1989 auto with 3.07, which came stock with 4 fully opened tips. I replaced those with the same aftermarket mufflers with 4 open tips.

Thanks for that TedC :)

I forgot to mention that I am running a completely stock system ....

Sounds like the cat converter would act as a muffler .... but I take your point (and experience) that your current setup is probably the way to go ....

All I want is a slight note from the rear without comprimising cabin noise .... there are just so many options for the C4 on the market ....

I think Mid America and Ecklers offer rear duel mufflers that are almost factory with a slight improvement internally.

This might be a good first step.

Here in Australia, there are not too many places that have dealt with Vetts and I don't like the idea of someone messing with the system ..... :mad

Kind regards

Darren .... :D

the cat converter would act as a muffler....
Yes, it does, to some extent.

Also, there are many threads on muffler choice, including some talk of eliminators. It sounds like you don't want that raucous of a sound though. Flowmasters may be a bit too loud, too :w

Yes, it does, to some extent.

Also, there are many threads on muffler choice, including some talk of eliminators. It sounds like you don't want that raucous of a sound though. Flowmasters may be a bit too loud, too :w

Your right ....

I just want that magic 'note' to let people know it's a 350 V8 CHEV .... I guess that's the 'holy grail' of exhaust for me! :w

two threads

Just to get you started,

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62065&highlight=muffler
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100534&highlight=muffler

I had a set of pipes that a guy gave me. I cannot remember the name, but he'd bought them for his wife's car and they were so loud that they came right off. Heck, I'll try about anything that is free, but they came right off my car, too, as the performance sucked and THEY WERE TOO LOUD. How could that happen?

They looked like these: http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?pf_id=27925&dept_id=1329

Well, the TIPS looked nice. :boogie

Thanks for that I'll check it out!

Regards

Darren

I put muffler eliminators on my 96 CE LT4 when it was about 3 months old. I like the throaty sound. It sounded like a Chevy small block should.

I put up with the cabin noise and the resonance until early 2006. I put on a Magnaflow 3" x-pipe in place of the front muffler and Magnaflow 3" polished stainless steel mufflers with Magnaflow resonator tail pipe tips. The Vette has more power and is very quiet inside now. When I open it up, folks know you are coming!

SAVE THE :w

Sounds like a nice setup that you have .... I've decided AGAINST muffler eliminators based on the feedback you guys have given ....

Alot of exhaust places in my area just recommend a couple of turbo mufflers with biggers pipes .... problem is, they treat a corvette like a local Australian performance car like a commodore, monaro, Holden Special Vehicle or Ford Performance Vehicle .... they have limited experience with US Muscle and/or sports cars.

I think my best option may be to import (into Australia) a performance system that gives me the sound without resonance ....

Thanks foryour input ....

My friend has them on his 1990 6 speed vette. I think they sound great! a little on the noisy side but hey it's a vette and should sound healthy. I got the oppurtunity to use the car for 2 weeks and love driving it and running the car up through the gears and listening to it.

My friend has them on his 1990 6 speed vette. I think they sound great! a little on the noisy side but hey it's a vette and should sound healthy. I got the oppurtunity to use the car for 2 weeks and love driving it and running the car up through the gears and listening to it.

Thanks for that. I must say nothing sounds better than a Chev V8. I think I'll give them ago.

The Vettes I have heard on YOUTUBE sound awsome:beer

Looking for better sound and more umph for my LT4

I put muffler eliminators on my 96 CE LT4 when it was about 3 months old. I like the throaty sound. It sounded like a Chevy small block should.

I put up with the cabin noise and the resonance until early 2006. I put on a Magnaflow 3" x-pipe in place of the front muffler and Magnaflow 3" polished stainless steel mufflers with Magnaflow resonator tail pipe tips. The Vette has more power and is very quiet inside now. When I open it up, folks know you are coming!

SAVE THE :w[/Hey lt4.. I have the same 96 CE LT4...Do you know the model #'s of the magnaflow components you used ? ...I checked their catalog and see that they make resonators with double round tips, not with the rectangular stype as is original... for about $650...Is that what you used in addition to the x-pipe? :cool]

Hey lt4.. I have the same 96 CE LT4...Do you know the model #'s of the magnaflow components you used ? ...I checked their catalog and see that they make resonators with double round tips, not with the rectangular stype as is original... for about $650...Is that what you used in addition to the x-pipe? :cool

For the tailpipe tips I used Magnaflow part #35175. It is called a Rolled-Oblong-Round Angle tip.

You will notice it has an entrance diameter of 2.25in. The rest of my system is 3in. from the converters back.

My exhaust man explained to me when the tailpipe tip is so far removed from the engine, you can use a smaller diameter tailpipe tip.

He is not kidding. With the 3in. Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the OEM resonator, I picked up 10hp. This number has been verified by a chassis dyno.

Hey lt4.. I have the same 96 CE LT4...Do you know the model #'s of the magnaflow components you used ? ...I checked their catalog and see that they make resonators with double round tips, not with the rectangular stype as is original... for about $650...Is that what you used in addition to the x-pipe? :cool

For the tailpipe tips I used Magnaflow part #35175. It is called a Rolled-Oblong-Round Angle tip.

You will notice it has an entrance diameter of 2.25in. The rest of my system is 3in. from the converters back.

My exhaust man explained to me when the tailpipe tip is so far removed from the engine, you can use a smaller diameter tailpipe tip.

He is not kidding. With the 3in. Magnaflow x-pipe in place of the OEM resonator, I picked up 10hp. This number has been verified by a chassis dyno.

Thanks for the PN's...I'll take your advice and check with my muffler guy...with your system, any objectionable noise or resonance at highway cruising speeds?

My original system was keeping all the OEM and using muffler eliminators. The sound outside was awesome. The sound inside was just barely tolerable.

When I designed the new system, I was looking for power and quiet in the cabin. Just like everyone else, I wanted the best of both worlds. The x-pipe, in my estimation, was the single most important part of the new system. Even tho I am running a 3" exhaust all the way from the converters thru the Magnaflow straight-thru mufflers, I can now hear myself think in my Vette! The sound is still there, just not as deafening!

I have quite a few bolt-on mods on my engine. If you are running mainly stock, perhaps sticking with a 2.75" size would do you best.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom