Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Any Input on 84 Exhaust Systems?

JohnGrawcock

Corvette
Claret 82, Light Bronze 84, and Black 69 Vert
The rear y pipe on my wife's 84 finally gave out. Time to replace and upgrade the exhaust. Just thought I'd ask your options on what I'm planning to do.

We've only had this one a couple of years. It still has original 84 factory exhaust with the turned down tips well short of the rear bumper. This of-coarse results in lots of interior noise and the dreaded drown at highway speeds.

I'm looking to go with something that flows a little better, results in less interior noise, and has tips extending out to the bumper. I've also noticed that a lot of the after market mufflers you see on C4's hang very low and are visible below the rear quarter. I'd like to achieve something closer to the factory look of an 85.

Here's what I'm considering: Upgrade CAT from Magnaflow, new stock 84 y pipe, and Walker Quite Flow mufflers for an 85.

Anybody ever mate 85 mufflers to a stock 84 y pipe? Will the mufflers come out positioned correctly?

Anyone tried these mufflers? Do they have a decent exterior sound and reduced interior noise as advertised?

Any comments on other mufflers? How well can something like Flow Master be fitted with tips that come strate out rather turning down and then out like the original 85? Any comments on interior noise with other mufflers?

Thanks for your input.

If you want quite definitely avoid the Borla! Very loud but I like it since it hides the usual rattles.
I prefer upgrading to a stainless Y pipe but I havent seen any with a cross over pipe that would be best for balance. Many seem to have the 86 and later round pipe catalytic convertor connection. However, any shop can weld the square flange from an 84-85 cat to the pipe...pretty simple job.

I dont see why adding any muffler to the stock pipe would be difficult.

My 84 vette has a walker rear y-pipe($130) and muffler eliminators($199), they don't hang down like the stock mufflers and have a great sound. I also installed a random cat(About $400) but they are pricey. My 85 has no cat(test pipe from ebay $50) and a 3 inch rear y pipe stainless from borla with 3.5 inch stainless B&B mufflers. Both systems sound great. But the ZR-1 B&B mufflers are pricey. Both the 84 and 85 vette have the same exhaust setup except for the turn down tail pipes on the 84.

My 84 vette has a walker rear y-pipe($130) and muffler eliminators($199), they don't hang down like the stock mufflers and have a great sound.

What are and where can I get "muffler eliminators". My 84 that I just bought has them or a homebuilt version. I love the sound, but they have a couple of rust holes at the split from one tail pipe into two -and the two are covered at the end with a SS LT looking rectangular cover.
Thanks, Glen

muffler eliminators are pipes that replace the mufflers, one single pipe split into 2 pipes. You can get them from ebay, mid america, ecklers, corvette central, zips, the last detail, corvette america, or just type it in on google.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom