Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone every had a battery explode?

mick_s3

Corvette
1997 White Coupe
Anyone ever have a battery explode?

The battery that was in my '97 when I purchased it was an Exide. It had, and stress the word had there, caps on the top of it, so it was a "serviceable" battery.

It detonated today when I tried to start my car. I was in the parking lot of a BP, and everyone about hit the dirt. Sounded just like small arms fire.

Anyway, I was wondering, anyone ever have a battery do this?

I took the car to a dealer, not the one I bought it from, and the mechanics were great, the consensus turned out to be that the battery ran out of water, generated some hydrogen gas while it was hot, and when I hit the key bamo.

We took the time to check all the codes and cleaned the area with acid neutralizer thoroughly, even took out the battery tray and cleaned underneath it, and touched up the framerail with some paint, since there was metal showing through. Great job there, nice to meet some people who are competent and actually care.

Should I be worried about this? Is there a possibility that there is a short somewhere in the car that may have caused/contributed to this happening?

Is there some reason why this type of battery should not have been in the car to begin with?

Thanks,

Mick

Can't say whether it's the right battery but explosions are not that uncommon that's why the warnings are on the battery. Be grateful no one was hurt. I have heard rumblings that Exide was a problem but can't personally confirm that. I go with Delco batteries and have never had a problem. Good to hear positive comments about a dealer location. I don't hear many of them.

Carlo

we have only used seal batteries in ours but I would suggest checking the wires for any possible corossion in a few weeks. if the wire coatings start to go you will have an even bigger problem on your hands. just my 2 cents

My neighbors new Mitsubushi SUV did this also. They blamed it on an afermarket alarm/starter system they had the dealer install.

I had completely forgotten this happened to me over 30 years ago until I read this post. I was installing a Die Hard top post and while tightening the neg terminal the darn thing blew up. Luck on my side that day, had plenty of water nearby so I could flush my eyes and face. No damage done other than messed up BVD's Safety glasses have been the norm since that day. They figured it was a gap between the top post and plates, that arced during the install.

Me too. I had a 1981 280ZX. When it was 7 or 8 years old, same thing. I went to start it one time and Bang. I had been having some electrical problems for a while. My first thought was, my EX had had someone rig a bomb. :)
I too had to do a through cleaning and flushing. (especialy the drivers seat).
Never had another problem with it.

Had it happen in 1992 on a 1987 Chrysler Le Baron. Was the car's second battery. Turned the key in a gas station and bang. Sounded like an M-80. Put in new battery and it ran fine. Sold the car in 1995 no problems. I figured it was a defect in the battery that took some time to show itself.

I had an 87 Olds 98 with a fairly new *****battery in it that would occasionally act like it was flat dead and not crank the car. After repeated jump starts, I eventually noticed that just touching the battery posts with hot jumper cables would solve the problem and the car would start normally for a few days, then strand me again. We tried all the standard fixes including connections, cables, topping off, etc, and I finally had enough, and being out of town at the time, I drove to the nearest GM dealer and told them to put in a new battery. When the mechanic started the car to move it into the service bay, it exploded, blowing out a burst panel in the side of the case. It was louder than a gunshot and everyone dove for cover. Amazingly, there was absolutely no damage to the car or to anyone nearby. The consensus was that there was something wrong inside (obviously) causing Hydrogen gas and an internal spark, and the new battery (which had immediately become a 100% warranty deal so that they could send the old one back to *****) completely solved the no-start problem. I'm glad I didn't have an A**i or V* with the under the back seat battery!

We had a bad one at work here when a guy tried to boost a frozen loader battery, blew up big time.
I wouldn't want it to happen in my bros 68, the battery is right behind the driver's seat.

It happen to me on my first vette some 30 years ago. My battery in my 63 fuelie was dead. I hadn't noticed that it had been over charging and acid was on top of the battery. If you have ever seen where the battery is on a C3 you will understand why it can't be seen real good. It was in a dimly lit shop I was hooking up the battery charger when " BOOM ' it blew up . I was lucky wearing long sleves and gloves. You might want to check your altenator for over charging. It could cause you acid to boil out. The proper voltage is 14.5 volts.Better luck in the future....Bob Yates

Had this happen in an 85 Audi about 15 years back. The battery was under the rear seat with a vent line for evaporation from charging. It ran low on water and blew when I went to start the car at a shopping center. Left me stranded, but the M80 sound really got my attention inside the car and that close behind me! I routinely checked water level in the new battery after that. I wouldn't have thought a new sealed battery would do this.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom