Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Anyone know a good online Tire Supplier

bobfil

Corvette
1972 convertible
I am looking for 255 75 R15

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Bob.

Hey buddy- I have a 72 and I wanted alittle bigger tires in back. Do you think the 75s are to big for the back?

I think they may hang out your fenderwells a little to close for comfort.
I like the symetrical look that a set of matched front and back give.
It makles a big difference in handling too.
I originally had 275/60/15 rear and 245/50/15 fronts on my 82.
It looked cool, like a hotwheels car, but handled like poop! Bounced up and down a lot like a pogo stick in the rear.
I put 255/50/15's all around, and the road feel is great! All four wheels move with the road together now, instead of the front and rear doing their separate things.

Give Tire rack a call, they can help you out with the applications end of it.

Wasnt planning on going that extreme but I know what you mean. I am thinking about putting 25570R15s on. BFGOODRICH T/As. What kind do you have on?

I have the Goodyear Eagle GT2's 255/50/R15, but with only 200 HP, my needs are limited. They are very sticky tires though, and work very well even in the rain.

I'll have to look around, that site looks pretty good though and the prices seem good also, $15 cheaper than walmart, have you ever bought any tires from this site?

12 tires for 1 car and 2 Vettes and counting.
48Hr. delivery time from Delaware warehouse to Rochester via UPS.
Craig Autometrics, behind the Little Theater off East Ave. is where I get them mounted and Roadforce balanced.
They can be shipped directly to them, as they are one of their preferred installers.

Well thanks alot for the information and the website. Enjoy the Rochester weather.

bobfil, just to make sure we are keeping things straight here... you initially said "255x75x15" tires. Then someone else chimed in about 275x60x15.

The first number is the width. The second number is the sidewall height (sometims referred to as the 'series' number.) The third number is the rim size.

You don't want 75 series tires on your car. From the factory, at most they came with a 70 series, such as a 225x70x15. This is not a performance size tire.

There's also 275x__x15 tires, but those won't fit inside your wheelwell.

I'd suggest no more than a 255x60x15 in the rear. That's what I have on my car, and I got them from TireRack. However, check locally for the same tire. After you pay for shipping and mounting, sometimes it's just cheaper to get it all taken care of locally.

If you just burble around in your car, you could go to a slightly slimmer tire for slightly better tracking and gas mileage, such as a 225 width.

Thanks for the help. I have another question, I'm thinking of getting bigger rims maybe like 16 or 17in rims. But dont want to go to big and have them hit and rub. What size rims do you recommend and what size do you have?

Bob

Thanks for the help. I have another question, I'm thinking of getting bigger rims maybe like 16 or 17in rims. But dont want to go to big and have them hit and rub. What size rims do you recommend and what size do you have?
Bob, are you asking me or the general audience?
I have 15" rims on my car. 255x60 in back, 245x60 up front.

I've considered going to 17" rims, but in the past there's been two things holding me back. 1) No raised white letter ("RWL") tires above 15" and I really like the look of RWL's on the car. 2) Up until just the other day, I couldn't find any 17" rims besides TorqThrusts that fit the native backspacing on our cars. Any rims I did find would've been custom made and $$$$ dollars.
However!...I just saw over at MidAmerica they have some 17" for $700 that look pretty nice and I'm seriously considering. I still couldn't get RWL tires, but I'd take that hit in exchange for getting some actual performance tires on my car for the first time ever!

As for 16-17" rims rubbing, that wouldn't be a concern as the series of the tire goes down, thus the overall circumference of the tire stays about the same. In other words, if a 17" rim is essentially 1" longer on each side (1" on a radius, 2" on a diameter), then the sidewall height of the tire goes down by approx 1". Like going from a 60 series tire to a 45-50 series. (I'm making very broad generalizations for the sake of explanation and example.)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom