Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Anyone Over 65 Years Old and . . . . . ?

Donne Trav

Corvette
1994 Blk/Blk
Anyone out there over 65 years old and driving a 6 speed? What year?
Who does the mechanics on your ride, you or a shop?
thumbsup.gif

Hi,

Yes, I'm over 65 (don't tell anyone!), and I still drive a 6-speed. I have a 2005 Z51 6-speed convertible. My husband is also older than 65, and he drives a 2002 6-speed convertible. We can't see ourselves in automatics...yet!

Corvette Mike New England (I sell Corvettes there) works on our Vettes.

Elaine

+1

67 going on 17, still rowing my 4+3...also still hit my own balls (golf,tennis), and put a 'glow' on my gf myself... maybe all those are 'work' to some but not to me.

turn all wrenches, everything except tire changes (balance by me, tho) on all my rides as better workmanship, much shorter shop time, and other benefits are 'priceless'...reduced cost is a bonus.

I'm still at it and will be as long as I own a Corvette .

I drive an 08 vert ,do my own general maintenance and GM Junkie does the rest .

Over 65 and driving a 2004 6-speed coupe.
But I do have a problem!!
I grew up on 4-speeds and haven't mastered the extra shifts yet. Now did I shift 5 times or 6 times, I don't remember!! :L

I do basic maintenance but go to dealer for more complex work such as wheel alignment and air conditioning service.

70 years young and still driving the corvettes, all three are 6 speed. Wouldn't have it any other way. As for the mechanic part, I do what I can, but I don't like crawling under vehicles anymore and I don't have the ceiling space for a lift (all of my cars are garaged). Fortunately for me, I have a Wordl Class Tech at my dealer who specializes in corvette, and the tech writer, who owns a corvette, always assigns him to my car. Plsu I get a senior citizen discount. The best part is that I get to go into the shop and watch him work close up. As for oil changes, the dealer in Colorado Springs who sponsors our corvette club charges $29.95 for a Mobil 1 oil change, so I don't crawl under the vettes anymore. Arrange my oil changes the day of the club meeting. Another great benefit given by our sponsor is that club members get a 25% discount on parts and labor, even if we buy the parts to do our own work. A member of our club owns Corvette Center south of the Springs (we had our car show and a demonstration for CF 07 at the facility). They do great work, but it is a long way to drive; they've worked on my corvettes in the past and are worth it.
BTW, keep driving as long as you can and keep the 6 speeds; they are much more fun to drive than autos (except in heavy traffic, but I rarely encounter heavy traffic now that I am retired).
Barrett

Never to old

68 just purcased a C4 1996 sports LT4 doing all my own work Love the car and enjoyworking on her just got my first speeding tcket 86 in a 65.

CIMG2044.jpgCIMG2019.jpg

Well really don't like letting this info out, but in feb. I will be 71, and the car isn't the average 6 speed, my friends in the cac know it's a callaway, 606 hp. People that don't really know me think i was a tad mental buying that car. They don't know what a blast it is to drive at high rpm...........................billy:):):):):):):)

One 6 speed, 2, 4 speeds, 2, 3 speeds and an automatic, do my own wrenching and now do maintance for the grand kids. Prefer body work but can't avoid doing the mechanics with that many car to maintain.

Remember WWII and hope to be able to remember it 10 years from now.

Over 65

70 in Feb, and on my 14th Vette.....BUT, sadly, two shot knees put me into an automatic 96 C4. Please don't hold it against me. :ugh

Anyone out there over 65 years old and driving a 6 speed? What year?
Who does the mechanics on your ride, you or a shop?
thumbsup.gif

I can't do a manual now since the drinker mangled BOTH of my sticks. So, that won't happen if I get another one (LT4 come only with manual???).

Only thing I've let garages do is tires and A/C gas recovery. The thought of a mechanic grinding a dirty bolt back into place with grubby fingers, gives me the heeby-jeebies... pb_smiley_shocked.gif :W

Some 65 y/o's can probably cover ground better than I can tho'...

70 in Feb, and on my 14th Vette.....BUT, sadly, two shot knees put me into an automatic 96 C4. Please don't hold it against me. :ugh

67 here and I was starting to feel bad. I thought I was the only one here driving an auto.:L

Well really don't like letting this info out, but in feb. I will be 71

My husband will also be 71 in March. He sure can't believe it!! :L And he still drives a 6-speed.

Elaine

I can't do a manual now since the drinker mangled BOTH of my sticks. So, that won't happen if I get another one (LT4 come only with manual???).

Afraid the LT4 is only a 6-speed manual...

Elaine

My 2008 coupe is a six-speed. It has paddle shifters, too.

True. Starting with C6 you need to state "manual transmission", or something like "third pedal shifter". :)

75 and doing my own work when I can. As you can imagine, I have a lot of wrinkles and enjoyed putting every one of them on my face.
I don't like/have the facilities to crawl under there any more. But otherwise I would do my own work. I have done a lot of wrenching in my life time, including a complete restoration from the bare frame up. A Chevrolet dealer does my regular maintenence and, yes, I know it costs a bunch. Got an '96 LT4 with a six speed and love it. It has 57K on it and it still has the new leather smell when I open the door. Can't imagine selling it.

Still shifting after all these years! Dealer does most work, but I watch them--closely. The Z06 is Vette #6 and the best one yet!! :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom