Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are breaks "do it your self"

S

Silver97

I have a 97 coupe and I will need breaks really soon. I know nothing about replacing the pads but my older brother says he can do them for me? Should I let him or should I go to the dealer for the break job?

Suggestions?

It is not hard. All you really need is the right tools. As long as your rotors are still good all you have to do is pull the calipers off and install the new pads. Remember to grease the pins that attach the calipers. Be careful and watch the fluid level when you press the pistons back into the calipers as this will sometimes overflow into the engine compartment. Also remember to use Loctite on the bolts that secure the calipers to the pins and on the mounting brackets.

I would have the rotors turned at least a minimum amount . Cliff

Don't forget to use a torque wrench on the lug nuts so you don't over-torque them and warp the rotor. I believe the torque # is in the manual.
One of the tips I learned in this forum :D

Brett

Over the years I have discovered that "breaks" are always easy.:D On the other hand, "brakes" aren't that difficult either.
I'm getting ready to do mine myself. Wish us luck.:)

Spiderman :w

Thanks for the tips,

Spiderman, I am not to good at english, it is my second language but thanks for the feedback.

I have decided to let my brother fix them for me :)

Thank you

Don't forget to take a break every now and then while your're fixing your brakes!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom