Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are C4 prices still falling or rising yet?

Greg Gore -

I'm amazed at the prices on the mid-60's to early 70's muscle cars, especially the Mopar vehicles. And I agree that although the C4 Vettes seem to be a buyer's market, it's most important to "buy right"... meaning all C4's (example '96 CE's) are not created equally.

By the way, even though we have the same avatar image... you're headed west and I'm headed east. I think that makes it alright.

B17Crew - your photo images from the McDorman show are extremely well done.:BOW

rising prices

Here is a post from B17CREW from the C4 owners its our turn Thread. This is the magazine info. I was refering to, hopefully it continues to rise.

Corvette Magazine does a market report on all generations of Corvettes. September 2006 Volume 27 focused on Sting Rays, December 2006 Volume 29 focuses on the C4.

Pages 57-62 have the Corvette Market Report, Generation Four. Nick Pon and Bob Kroupa are the authors. I’m not going to type out all of the info, there is just way too much content to do so. What I can tell you is that they track prices over a year to see if they are going up, holding steady or tanking. The values are calculated by A&B Investments, publishers of The Vette-N-Vestment Corvette Price Guide.

Four conditions are presented with appropriate pricing for each condition. The four conditions are: Show-Ready, Good, Average, Needs TLC.

When looking at the column that has the One-Year Change, 3% is listed multiple times, seven to be exact. The highest percentage of increase for several C4s is 5%. There are only six negative percentages, not bad.

They break it down for each Corvette model, ie. Coupe, Roadster, Collectors Edition Coupe/Convertible, Grand Sport, etc.

Is this a bible for Corvette pricing? May be, may be not, but the price guide is published in a respectable magazine with proven, reliable writers. It’s a good place to start educating ones self if they are in the market to either buy or sell a Corvette. You have to start to gather your info somewhere no matter what side of the title signing you are on.

There is much more to the Corvette Market Report than I have posted here. When the December issue hits your favorite news stands, pick up an issue, peruse it, and see what you think.

RockyQ

CHECKERED FLAG CORVETTE CLUB

save-the-wave:w

I agree with Gregg Gore.I think if you keep them original, and clean and keep the miles off them as well they will appreciate quite nicely.they are a very unique automobile.

Keep that polo LT4 B17Crew, she's a beauty. Here's my polo LT1....

IMG_3951.JPG

I have to change the “My Corvette:” in my avatar back to what it was!

Several months ago I had my LT4 sold, but at the last minute the deal fell through.:duh I pulled my LT4 off the market because I’m in a position where I don’t have to sell. I’ve decided to keep it and not deal with the car selling market, my free time is pretty limited.

I was selling because I put a little over 200 miles on it in the past year and work has been rather demanding. It’s mint and as stock as can be with extensive documentation. I plan on keeping it and buying another Corvette to go beside it. It may be a vert or a ZR-1, I’m not sure at this point. I considered a beautiful Comp Yellow ZR-1 GS Diva had listed, but I would’ve had to finance part of it, I like being debt free, so I’m either going to keep saving for such a Z, or find a moderately priced vert to tinker with.

Here’s my LT4!

IMG_0405.jpg

B17Crew
:w

Hi, rapril.
Nice Polo Green coupe you have there! :beer
Once shined up, the Polo cars are truly beautiful.
I intend to keep my C4 now, I’m glad I didn’t let her go!

B17Crew

Should be Ashamed

Some of you should be ashamed. I bought my 85 8 years ago for 10K. When I got it, I soo loved being a Vette guy. Then it had no compression in 2 cylinders and I had to rebuild. Now after lots of work, and help from CAC, I have a great car that has under 60K on it. I still rub it with a diaper. You talk about too many C4's were made, the kid down the block use to have 5 or 6 GTO's in his yard that he worked on and would sell them for a couple of grand back in 75-76. Now try to get one. I just picked up my 69 Vert (82K),orginal 350, before the prices were too high. In 5 years I will have that one paid off (but still be putting money into both the 85 and 69), and then I will buy a "cheap" C5 when my C4 goes up. If you look at the cycle, prices go up 2 to 1 1/2 generations behind. C2's are a 2nd morgage and C3's are closing in. C4's will be up there when the C7 comes out. My C4 is still my 1st love and I feel bad my 69 is getting all the attention right now. I think another RTE 66 trip in the C4 is in order.

Some of you should be ashamed. I bought my 85 8 years ago for 10K. When I got it, I soo loved being a Vette guy. Then it had no compression in 2 cylinders and I had to rebuild. Now after lots of work, and help from CAC, I have a great car that has under 60K on it. I still rub it with a diaper. You talk about too many C4's were made, the kid down the block use to have 5 or 6 GTO's in his yard that he worked on and would sell them for a couple of grand back in 75-76. Now try to get one. I just picked up my 69 Vert (82K),orginal 350, before the prices were too high. In 5 years I will have that one paid off (but still be putting money into both the 85 and 69), and then I will buy a "cheap" C5 when my C4 goes up. If you look at the cycle, prices go up 2 to 1 1/2 generations behind. C2's are a 2nd morgage and C3's are closing in. C4's will be up there when the C7 comes out. My C4 is still my 1st love and I feel bad my 69 is getting all the attention right now. I think another RTE 66 trip in the C4 is in order.

I’ll comment on that since I’m one of the posters that wrote that there were a “large” volume of C4’s produced.

Any Corvette that is OEM and well taken care of will do well (resale value wise). Will any C4 ever reach L88 pricing, probably not, but maybe in 100 years, who knows.

The closet thing I can think of that would relate to the C4’s high volume in the Corvette family would be the ’79 model year, 53,807 coupes. Even with that kind of quantity, ’79’s that are in OEM condition will bring a higher dollar than a “driver” that has long since lost it’s St. Louis installed OEM parts.

At this time, I see C4’s listed at reasonable prices, my humble opinion was that I think they’re still on the downslide excluding models like the ’96 GS’s, ’95 Indy PC, and, some low mile ZR-1’s. I write this because the original poster asked if we thought C4 prices are still falling or rising yet? From what I have personally seen, C4 prices have not risen all that much for the standard C4 Corvettes.

When it comes down to it, the best thing we can do with our cars is enjoy them. Thinking of Corvette’s as investments scares me. I’d rather rely on stocks/mutual funds/401-K’s for dollar appreciation, not my Corvette.

B17Crew

I don't think many of us seriously consider these cars as investments. Probably what most are interested in here is after doing all the things many of these cars always seem to need to restore and or maintain good condition and spending a ton of money it is nice to see the cars appreciate a little. Maybe it's a small consolation for spending all that money that we don't seem to mind plowing into our cars.

I don't think many of us seriously consider these cars as investments. Probably what most are interested in here is after doing all the things many of these cars always seem to need to restore and or maintain good condition and spending a ton of money it is nice to see the cars appreciate a little. Maybe it's a small consolation for spending all that money that we don't seem to mind plowing into our cars.

Well said.
Like anything you invest time in, or money for that matter, you expect some type of return. With a Corvette, that return for every owner will be different.

As for mine, it’s my decompression chamber, I can take the top off, leisurely cruise along and watch the sun sets colors on that nicely shaped C4 hood. It’s more than just a car. The Corvette is rich with history, heritage, and automotive accomplishments.

I never take my Corvette for granted, I often feel lucky for owning one. During my ownership of Corvettes, I’ve run into people that are still dreaming of owning one. You’ll meet them as your filling up with gas, you’ll meet them as you are getting out of your car to go to your favorite restaurant. You’ll have a dad in a minivan hollar a compliment over to you at a stoplight. Once you obtain your dream Corvette that you’ve worked so hard for, worrying about the prices rising and falling will be the last thing on your mind.

B17Crew

I'm pretty sentimental about my 96 C4, its my first corvette and I'll be taking good care of it and keeping it for a long time, so I'll have it when the C7s come out and maybe longer. I'll find out where the long-term price goes but I don't really care, I bought it to drive and enjoy. By the time the C4 is old enough to be worth a lot like a 1967 is today, the car will likely be a throwback to the days when all the cars ran on gasoline. :cool The C4 will be valuable in the future for its simple and elegant body contours which will never go out of style. :beer

By the time the C4 is old enough to be worth a lot like a 1967 is today, the car will likely be a throwback to the days when all the cars ran on gasoline. :cool

That is probably very true.

And just to quickly throw in, my angle on this subject had little to do with trying to figure out if the C4 was a good investment. I was moreso curious when my dollar would go the furthest, because if prices were going up, I had better get mine ASAP!

Great discussion on the thread guys.:upthumbs

I think what attracted me to the C4 was the fact that I bought my first Vette in 91.

No, seriously, I do have a cogent thought about the C4.

When the C4 was introduced, it was leaps and bounds ahead of any car out there regarding technology. From 1984 until 1996, Chevy did a great job improving the vehicle. Every year there were many improvements. Suspension upgrades, drivetrain upgrades, electrical upgrades, tire upgrades (Goodyear kept designing better tires!). The list goes on and on.

No matter what year C4 you are interested in, there are dozens of things that set that car apart from other C4s.

I am on my third new C4. I think I am going to keep this one. Maybe I will get into a C6 shortly.

SAVE THE :w

That is probably very true.

And just to quickly throw in, my angle on this subject had little to do with trying to figure out if the C4 was a good investment. I was moreso curious when my dollar would go the furthest, because if prices were going up, I had better get mine ASAP!

Great discussion on the thread guys.:upthumbs

It’s fun being in the market for a Corvette. You will find that there are many excellent C4s in the market place to choose from. Don’t settle for any C4 other than the one you’ve been wanting, it’ll make the Corvette experience all the more enjoyable.

B17Crew

RE: C4 Values, without repeating all of the VERY accurate opinions mentioned up to this point, I thing C4s have ALMOST bottomed out. As each month, year passes, more of the old C4's die and go to the junkyard. There were so many built that it will be another (4) years before they start to become more rare. I just bought my 91 convertible with 82K miles on it for 10K. I wanted to tinker with it and have a Sunday Driver convertible. I'm not a motor head or a racer and figured I'd keep it for about 4-5 years until I get tired of it or want more of a collector car. They are a really good VALUE, a lot of car for a little money. The ZR-1, GS, Calloways will shoot up in value. The run of the mill C4's will hold their value and increase if the miles stay well under 100K and condition is above average to excellent.
Happy shopping.

Your's is well said also B17Crew! I can certainly agree with all of that. I remember a while back a friend dropped his red on red 64 roadster off for me to fix a miss in the engine. I found a rocker arm that had a pushrod sticking through it, replaced them and road tested it down to the corner convenience store for a Coke afterwards and will always fondly recall when several cars followed me in off the road to get a better look at it and talk Corvettes. I think it was about 45 minutes before I could leave! I guess the downside to C4 prices rising happens when you want to get another one. It occurred to me you don't see as many on the road anymore as you did just a few years ago. Saw a white 96 up ahead in traffic yesterday and I tried to catch him to get a better look at it but he got away!

Well said.
Like anything you invest time in, or money for that matter, you expect some type of return. With a Corvette, that return for every owner will be different.

As for mine, it’s my decompression chamber, I can take the top off, leisurely cruise along and watch the sun sets colors on that nicely shaped C4 hood. It’s more than just a car. The Corvette is rich with history, heritage, and automotive accomplishments.

I never take my Corvette for granted, I often feel lucky for owning one. During my ownership of Corvettes, I’ve run into people that are still dreaming of owning one. You’ll meet them as your filling up with gas, you’ll meet them as you are getting out of your car to go to your favorite restaurant. You’ll have a dad in a minivan hollar a compliment over to you at a stoplight. Once you obtain your dream Corvette that you’ve worked so hard for, worrying about the prices rising and falling will be the last thing on your mind.

B17Crew

Your's is well said also B17Crew! I can certainly agree with all of that. I remember a while back a friend dropped his red on red 64 roadster off for me to fix a miss in the engine. I found a rocker arm that had a pushrod sticking through it, replaced them and road tested it down to the corner convenience store for a Coke afterwards and will always fondly recall when several cars followed me in off the road to get a better look at it and talk Corvettes. I think it was about 45 minutes before I could leave! I guess the downside to C4 prices rising happens when you want to get another one. It occurred to me you don't see as many on the road anymore as you did just a few years ago. Saw a white 96 up ahead in traffic yesterday and I tried to catch him to get a better look at it but he got away!

A red ’64 will definitely attract enthusiasts for sure. I stopped a guy in a local grocery store parking lot and quizzed him on his red ’65 vert. He had only owned it for two months! He was driving his ’65 all over, I saw him a few days later in the same area cruising around with the top down.

I’m constantly on the lookout for Corvettes when driving. I see a good number of C5s and C6s. Fewer C4s and even fewer C3s. Time flies, it seems like yesterday I was in the local Chevy showrooms looking at new ’96 C4’s!

B17Crew

It will be interesting to see whether the C4 values rise mostly as a group or whether the early C4s will begin to rise first as the later C4s continue to depreciate. Early C3s began to appreciate and later C3s are only beginning to catch up. There were more later C3s made and more early C4s made so the C4s have a better chance of appreciating as a group. I'd like my 96 to not go all the way down to around $5,000 like some 84s are today. For the C3s it seems collectors tended to mostly favor the older cars initially but the C4 may be different, the cars in the best condition with lowest miles will be more valuable. As for when to buy, now is a great time in my opinion to scoop up an 80s C4, so what if you paid $7,500 for the car and it drops another $1,000 before moving back up in a few years. Personally I'd like to see more early C4s restored, how often do you see a pristine 84 looking as clean as a perfectly restored 67?

Well this has been a great discussion. I think everyone is in agreement. The C4 is an awesome car and I will keep mine forever. The 82 and 84 got a bad rap because of the crossfire engine, but then again so did the 68. In reality my 85 could be valued at $500 and I would still love it, people would still say "Wow, you have a Vette, I wish I could have one" and it will still carry me from Chicago to LA.
I think this thread really shows that those of us with C4's truely love the car, and that alone will keep the value high no matter what. I drove a friends C6 last year, and it was nice, but I smiled with the Targa off and the Bose blasting all the way home in my 85

Next month I'll advertising my 1996 C4 Polo Green, 76K miles in excellent interior/exterior condition for sale in Germany. Asking price $14,500 - In Germany someone will pay within $1K or the asking price. Recently I've purchased a 2007 C6 Coupe.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom