Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are C4 prices still falling or rising yet?

A few of you guys are brutal on the c-4's. Ive had a ton of fun in mine, and enjoy the feel of the road better than in my c-5. A totally different driving experience, and i think prices will recover in a few years.

Only the good will have a worth!!!!!!!!

Keep one thing in mind no matter what year we are talking about a low mileage cream puff will always have a worth. When altering a stock vette do it for yourself not the next guy because by then it will lower the price a great deal.

If you have to repaint your vette you might as well drive it as an everyday car because the worth again tanks.

What is low mileage under 25,000 miles no matter how new or old the vette is. The saying" well it's low mileage for the year" is meaningless.

The only vette that will hold it's value except special editions and not CE's are "garage queens" period. Or some special whatever if in outstanding condition.

And if you have a garage queen keep it that way so somebody down the road will buy it from your estate and really enjoy it by driving it. We need garage queens.

And by the way except for the c1 & c2's and maybe a couple of c3's they are only vette's and not Ferrari's so enjoy them and drive them and forget about the worth.

With all of the crying there wasn't a year except maybe 1975 thru 82 that l wouldn't own and love to drive.

Alan:beer

All original low mile garage queens are nice because they are accurate records of what GM put together and called a Corvette on that particular day in time. This gains more importance as the years pass by. Recently someone wrote in with a question on whether they should buy a 5K mile 85 that they recently discovered that turned out to be completely factory original including the tires. He said the car drove fine except for tire noise from the flat spots. Many folks wrote back convincing him of the historical value of the car and I think last word was he decided to buy it and try for an NCRS Duntov award. Of course this pursuit would not interest everyone and many others advised him to either pass on it due to the seals will all probably start leaking to load it with mods and start driving the heck out of it. Fortunately they built enough of 'em to supply the diversity of interest but as time goes by there will be fewer of the nice ones still remaining. Something to think about if nothing else.:beer

well I know mine is practically worthless.... this week the odometer clicked over 200k... but I decided to drive it till the wheels fell off... then drive it some more.... I am wondering how long it will take me to get to 300k..... :)

well I know mine is practically worthless.... this week the odometer clicked over 200k... but I decided to drive it till the wheels fell off... then drive it some more.... I am wondering how long it will take me to get to 300k..... :)

That’s GREAT!

It would be another thread but, man, I’d love to hear what your experiences have been with what parts you’ve had to replace (if any).
In an issue of Corvette Quarterly I have, a owner of a ’93 40th vert had over 275,000 miles on his. He uses it to commute from to and from work. I think he had to eventually replace the cam around 275K miles, he opted to just drop in a new LT1 engine.

B17Crew
:w

That is very cool! Do you do all your own work? It would make an interesting thread to learn of your car's maintenance and repair history on the way up to the 200K mark and owner experiences with other high mile cars.

That’s GREAT!

It would be another thread but, man, I’d love to hear what your experiences have been with what parts you’ve had to replace (if any).
In an issue of Corvette Quarterly I have, a owner of a ’93 40th vert had over 275,000 miles on his. He uses it to commute from to and from work. I think he had to eventually replace the cam around 275K miles, he opted to just drop in a new LT1 engine.

B17Crew

I use it to commute everyday... 35 miles one way, mostly interstate miles.... it had 75,000 miles on it when I bought it... I have replaced the opti and the waterpump..... a few sets of tires, and brakes... other than that... it runs fine... it is not burning oil, and my mechanic said the compression is still very very good.....

That is very cool! Do you do all your own work? It would make an interesting thread to learn of your car's maintenance and repair history on the way up to the 200K mark and owner experiences with other high mile cars.
I use a mechanic here in my area... he only works on vettes, has his own shop... maintenance has been minimal.... as I said the main thing was the opti and water pump, but that was the first major thing in like the 5 years (at the time) that I had to spend money for..... like I said, tires, and brakes, as well as oil changes were routine stuff...

I use it to commute everyday... 35 miles one way, mostly interstate miles.... it had 75,000 miles on it when I bought it... I have replaced the opti and the waterpump..... a few sets of tires, and brakes... other than that... it runs fine... it is not burning oil, and my mechanic said the compression is still very very good.....

Way cool!:cool

...if you have a garage queen keep it that way so somebody down the road will buy it from your estate and really enjoy it by driving it.

Man, that's a fate worse than death... you die PLUS someone else gets to run your pampered pet in the ground, too.

A large part of the value of these vehicles is intrinsic... what price can you put on something that brings you pleasure.

If you want an investment with maximum return for minimum risk, look elsewhere.:D

Let me be the first to say it...
A driven Corvette is a reliable Corvette.

B17Crew

If it's practically worthless, then can I give you 50$ to take it off your hands? :L I'm not too far behind you, just hit 145k on mine and I'm not about to keep it off the road.

Let me be the first to say it...
A driven Corvette is a reliable Corvette.

B17Crew

I've always thought of them similiar to thoroughbreds...you set'em out to run and excercise, they'll be able to run long and strong for quite some time granted with a few normal bumps and bruises over the years. Keep it locked up in a stall and it may be prettier to look at, but it won't be able to run the same.

I can understand someone with a car in mint condition and extremely low miles keeping it garaged as a collector item and show car... the true value in my eyes for the most of us though is in the pleasure driving and enjoying them. I'm with you Claborn, drive it until the wheels fall off...then put some new ones on it and drive it some more!

Right now it's spring and time to really start enjoying driving for the year, so here's to all of you wishing you open roads, keeping the painted side up and the rubber side down :beer

If it's practically worthless, then can I give you 50$ to take it off your hands? :L I'm not too far behind you, just hit 145k on mine and I'm not about to keep it off the road.

I've always thought of them similiar to thoroughbreds...you set'em out to run and excercise, they'll be able to run long and strong for quite some time granted with a few normal bumps and bruises over the years. Keep it locked up in a stall and it may be prettier to look at, but it won't be able to run the same.

I can understand someone with a car in mint condition and extremely low miles keeping it garaged as a collector item and show car... the true value in my eyes for the most of us though is in the pleasure driving and enjoying them. I'm with you Claborn, drive it until the wheels fall off...then put some new ones on it and drive it some more!

Right now it's spring and time to really start enjoying driving for the year, so here's to all of you wishing you open roads, keeping the painted side up and the rubber side down :beer

well since you put it like that, to me its priceless....:L and I agree with your other points totally..... I could never be a collector.... I like driving too much.....

C4s are at least 20 years away from being collectable, and given the absence of body changes during the model run(people who don't know C4s can't even pickout a ZR1)only a few models have much hope. Excluding the zero miles cars, I would think only low mileage LT4s and ZR1s have a shot at being worth a lot down the road. Prices are still falling for just about everything.
I actually can't believe the ZR1s aren't holding up a bit better right now, given the low production. Part of it has to be the impressive and plentiful used C5 market and the fact the new high end cars are the best performing ever. It didn't hurt chrome bumper C3 values that there was a decline in Vette performance that lasted almost 15 years.
I would not buy a C4 as an investment, but the fact is, with nice paint, nice wheels, and some motor work, any year can be a good performer and a fun car to own. Drive a mid year or early C3 a bit and learn to appreciate what a pleasure the non collectable C4s are in comparison.

I will agree about the driving a C-2 OR C-3. What a difference when I go from my 69 to my 88. I like them both but the 88 is alot more fun to drive.I really like C-4'S
THEY ARE EASY TO WORK ON WITH THE TILT HOOD. And what a good handling car.

What a difference when I go from my 69 to my 88.

I owned a '73 4-speed vert for 17 years... it was a hoot to drive out on the open road but was a handful in heavy traffic. My C4 is much more comfortable and more pleasurable to drive in any situation... no comparison.

:Steer

I agree, I like driving a C-4 better than any I have driven. We had a C-5 for awhile and I like my 88 better than that. I have not driven a C-6, I don't know that I will, don't care much for them.

Before I took the plunge on a new C6, I think I'd look at that Cadillac XLR with the retractable hardtop. I haven't seen many on the road but when you see one, it's a real head turner. As I understand, they're made on the same chassis (and assembly line) as the C6's in Bowling Green.

Man, I must be getting old... thinking about a Cadillac instead of a 'Vette.

Another Comment

I have to jump in again because this is a great thread, and the first really nice day so I brought my 85 out. Talk about being happy at work just from the short drive:rotfl I feel bad with every mile I put on mine, its at 67K, but I dont even think about that when I am driving, because the C4 is so great to drive. I agree with everyone, my C3 is neat, but I wouldnt want to take a long trip with it. The C4 is a comfortable car to drive. I drove a C6, while it was nice, the HUD was annoying and I didnt think the seat were as comfy. I love my C4, will continue to drive it, and if it holds or goes up in value, that will be an added bonus.

The C4 is a comfortable car to drive. I drove a C6, while it was nice, the HUD was annoying and I didnt think the seat were as comfy.

So far, the most comfortable Corvette seat I’ve spent time in is the ’94–’96 sport seats (my ’96 has the base power seats). Haven’t driven a C6 yet, but just from sitting in them in the showroom, they haven’t felt as supportive as the late C4 sport seats. Then again, the entry level C6 come off the showroom floor with 400 hp. ;)

B17Crew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom