Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Are there C6 Frame protection rollers made??

*89x2*

I have seen these for C5's but not C6's

Are they out there????

231_FattDaddy_Web_View_edited.jpg
FattDaddy

Frame protectors

Sure do.....

Do these rollers really do any thing. Just looking at the pictures it looks like they don't even come down as far as the front spoiler. Maybe I am expecting too much from such a small roller mounted on your radiator supports

Sure do.....

Do these rollers really do any thing. Just looking at the pictures it looks like they don't even come down as far as the front spoiler. Maybe I am expecting too much from such a small roller mounted on your radiator supports

If they work anything like they do on my C5, they are well worth it. Steep driveways and parking lot concrete blocks now don't make me cringe. A lot cheaper than buying new supports.

Chuck2kc5

Chuck2kc5,
Do you suggest the welded on type or the type where you drill one or two holes ( Ihave seen both types in various catalogs). Appreciate the input.

The C5 skid bars are made of steel, the C6 ones are made of aluminum and are also part of the radiator support structure that is a major project to replace. On the C6, drilling through the bar will weaken it, so will most welding. Even if you simply clamp the roller in place, it's clamped onto a relatively weak piece. I elected to not install them, fortunately the C6 has less tendency to hit the bars. This is one place where the C6 deteriorated from the C5.

frame rollers

The C5 skid bars are made of steel, the C6 ones are made of aluminum and are also part of the radiator support structure that is a major project to replace. On the C6, drilling through the bar will weaken it, so will most welding. Even if you simply clamp the roller in place, it's clamped onto a relatively weak piece. I elected to not install them, fortunately the C6 has less tendency to hit the bars. This is one place where the C6 deteriorated from the C5.
Jim, Thanks for the onfo. As a novice it just didn't look strong enough to support the 1/4 inch drilled holes through the radiator strut and I was naive to the fact that the C6 is aluminun anyway. Unfortunately this little town has raised lips on about every driveway to street exit. Oh well that why they are rubber/plastic and easily replaceable I guess. Thanks again---ray

darkstar;86460 ... Oh well that why they are rubber/plastic and easily replaceable I guess. Thanks again---ray[/quote said:
Are you referring to the small black fixed chin spoilers under the sides? If so, you are correct. Mine still look like new after 27k miles. So far I have lightly scraped just one side of the skid bars, I'm very cautious about parking curbs and those driveway lips. I always take them slowly and as much of an angle as possible. Then, make up the lost time when I'm on the street. :D

frame rollers

Are you referring to the small black fixed chin spoilers under the sides? If so, you are correct. Mine still look like new after 27k miles. So far I have lightly scraped just one side of the skid bars, I'm very cautious about parking curbs and those driveway lips. I always take them slowly and as much of an angle as possible. Then, make up the lost time when I'm on the street. :D
I don't know if we are talking the same parts. The radiator mounts are about a foot or so inward from the front sides along the air dam. I have seen metal skid pads for some models but I don't recall where. I have not scraped my radiator mounts as yet, but I have scraped the bottom of my air dam and license plate. I got one ( license plate holder) from the national corvette museum as it is very unnoticable and the price was right.

As we discussed, the metal (aluminum, painted black) skid bars/radiator mount are rather fragile and difficult to replace. Fortunately, some care when driving will normally prevent any scraping. The black plastic chin spoiler has a spring-loaded center section which is designed to scrape occasionally and is fairly cheap/easy to replace if necessary. The side pieces of that spoiler are fixed in place but are flexible, so they are pretty durable. The bottom of the front bumper/nose piece can easily be hit against parking curbs and occasionally when going onto a sloped driveway. All told, the front end of the C6 is much less prone to scraping than the C5, only problem is that you really want to avoid hitting the skid bars on a C6. I think you've got it figured out...
Enjoy!

Chuck2kc5,
Do you suggest the welded on type or the type where you drill one or two holes ( Ihave seen both types in various catalogs). Appreciate the input.

I drilled and mounted mine at least 5 years ago and have never had to adjust or tighten them. I figured they would have broken by now or at least have come loose but they are just as solid now as they were when I put them on. I'm sure I would have had to replace the supports by now if I didn't have them on there.

Chuck2kc5

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom