Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Audio system noise

Ken88C4convt

Corvette
1988 red corvette convertable
Hi to all, Great site,great people, Have a question on engine noise (alternater) whine coming through Boise radio, I have had all the speakers redone in Longwood Fl,was doing great untill this problem came up,Is there a noise suspressor that can be put in place to fix this problem. hate to have to get new audio system, I don't think it is a Amp problem
Thanks ahead of time for your reply Ken 88 convt red 18k org miles

Is the noise coming from all of the speakers or just one? In the Bose system the speakers are amped not the head unit.

Actually this sounds exactly like an amp problem, once the capacitors on the printed circuit board start going out, you get all kinds of engine interference. You can either have the amps rebuilt by Bose or replace them with parts from the catalog guys.

Hi to all, Great site,great people, Have a question on engine noise (alternater) whine coming through Boise radio, I have had all the speakers redone in Longwood Fl,was doing great untill this problem came up,Is there a noise suspressor that can be put in place to fix this problem. hate to have to get new audio system, I don't think it is a Amp problem
Thanks ahead of time for your reply Ken 88 convt red 18k org miles
When you say you had the "speakers" redone, does that mean just the speakers or the "amp / speaker" modules?

As Ugolino said, if you did not have the amps reworked, then they could be the source of the noise. If everything is working as designed, an aftermarket noise filter is not needed. There could also be a problem with the head unit as well. Please give us more information / history of the problem.

CG

Bose Speakers

Actually this sounds exactly like an amp problem, once the capacitors on the printed circuit board start going out, you get all kinds of engine interference. You can either have the amps rebuilt by Bose or replace them with parts from the catalog guys.
Thanks for the Reply,Ill go back to the place that rebuilt the amps and have them check the system out,They give a 100% warranty on there work,

Speakers

When you say you had the "speakers" redone, does that mean just the speakers or the "amp / speaker" modules?

As Ugolino said, if you did not have the amps reworked, then they could be the source of the noise. If everything is working as designed, an aftermarket noise filter is not needed. There could also be a problem with the head unit as well. Please give us more information / history of the problem.

CG
Purchased car last Jan at show in Kissimmee,13k mileage,Bad news on audio system,found this place in longwood (Factory car stereo repair inc)they checked out the system and rebuilt the rear speakers, sounded great for awhile now this engine noise,not bad but annoying I want to keep car original guess I'll head down and see what they have to say.This is a very touchy and expensive system and have had alot of opinions ranging from bad plugs,bad wires,and so on, problem is car runs great and don't need to start replacing things unecessary.

Purchased car last Jan at show in Kissimmee,13k mileage,Bad news on audio system,found this place in longwood (Factory car stereo repair inc)they checked out the system and rebuilt the rear speakers, sounded great for awhile now this engine noise,not bad but annoying I want to keep car original guess I'll head down and see what they have to say.This is a very touchy and expensive system and have had alot of opinions ranging from bad plugs,bad wires,and so on, problem is car runs great and don't need to start replacing things unecessary.
I have a couple of 89's and have had some experience with this. I have had the entire system restored in both Vettes (by me) , meaning , everything has been sent to Dr. Dons for refurb. Before Dr. Dons, I bought NEW amps from Nissan dealer (same amp as in older Maximas with bose, they have the universal connectors)...they worked fine but they popped on turning audion system on, so make sure you are using OE Corvette amps. But as far as the radio noise, I am having this trouble too in my other 89. The system has always had that noise for over five years now. I have replaced the head unit, all four amps rebuilt (twice) to rule them out, replaced the antenna, even took the head unit out and plugged a universal antenna into it check for bad antenna wire. Used two brands of noise suppressors, including the GM part# called for on the TSB for this problem from 198* . I have tried both the stock Bose/Cassette player and the upgraded GM CD player that I normally run. The CD or cassette plays with no alternator noise at all, only comes through when using radio tuner. So this tells me it a ground or antenna issue NOT the amps. Gorden Killebrew suggested cleaning and replacing the battery terminals - this actually helped for a while but might have been my imagination. Next, I am going to check the distributor shielding. I cant figure this out either but wanted you to know what I have tried and we can keep comparing notes. Email me direct at
corvette95@charter.net
Chris

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom