Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto Climate Controls

glen3107

Corvette
1987 Black Coupe
For the last couple of days, my auto controls on my HVAC module have been going haywire. The temperature setting readout goes dim and then bright and changes from 72 to 75 then to 60. Also, while I'm driving the unit changes itself from auto to bi-level to heat and then back again.
I read the previous posts and disconnected the battery to see if the unit would reset itself. It did. Then I drove about 4 miles and it started acting up again.
Do you'all have any advice on what could be causing the problems that I'm experiencing?
Thanks

Auto Climate controls

You could try removing the unit from the dashboard and cleaning the contacts that make the connections. They are sort of like a printed (they are!) cirucit board contacts. Clean them with an eraser or something. That has been reported to have helped those intermittent problems. However I had to replace the head as you may wind up doing. It is pretty painless, except for the cost. :) Can't rember what a used one costs but I think it was about $100.00.

Hope this helps...........

I'm going to pull it out this weekend. By the way, where did you find the replacement?

Auto Climate controls

Almost any wrecking yard that handles Corvettes. In this area there is only one and it is Foster auto parts in Clackamus, Oregon. But I am sure you can find it in most Corvette used parts places. It is a common replacement part. When they work right they are pretty nice but when they start giving those intermittent problems they can be a real pain, as you have probably noticed. I replaced the one in my '86 and never had any more trouble with it. Fortunately my '85 is the manual type. :)

Good luck with it............

-

Climate Controller

Under the dash is the box where the VAC routes around...in that box there are 2 BIG power resistors...THEY GET HOT... and over time loosen up the solder connections ( cold joints ) you MIGHT want to pull the controller module out ( under the dash ) and inspect all the electrical connections ( re flow the solder joints) and put it back as a starting point.... THEN pull the head unit out and clean the edge connector.

Vig!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom