Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

auto or not to auto that is the question.

• Thread starter Thread starter Tanreall
  • Start date Start date

Auto or not to auto

• automatic

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • manual

Votes: 56 54.9%

• Total voters
pvtpilot said:
Just like the old saying "All Corvettes are RED, the rest are mistakes".. :-) I think the same "mistake" label applies to automatic Corvettes.
That says it all for me. I just think that performance cars need to have manual transmissions. It may be an old fashioned idea, but that is the way it is for me. I had a '97 A4, then traded for a Z06. The '97 was a better bracket racer, but the Z06 is more FUN!

Tanreall said:
Ok so I'm just about ready to buy my vette it will be either an 89 or 90 but I'm not sure if I should get a manual or not. I do like to race around and give a little rev here and there at the ricers, so give me your input.

Thanks in advance
If you have to ask this question, I think you'll be more happy with an auto. A stick driver knows what he wants and wouldn't be asking this question. That being said, and what I'm going to say does not apply to the newer Corvettes - when looking for my first corvette back in '73, I had no intention of getting an auto. I looked at a lot of cars and came closest to buying a '69 350/350 stick but while I had an offer in, it was bought out from under me. When I saw my '69 in the previous owners driveway, it was beautiful. It was an auto and a convert. (and I wasn't specifically looking for a convert), with air, and all power accessories. It also had a 3.08 rear! I was never sorry I bought that car - and to prove that point, still have it now. What a cruiser! 80 mph at 3000 rpm. Drove to Key West from NY twice in it getting close to 20 mpg. A pleasure to drive on the interstate. No fuss, no muss. Just bring it up to speed and go. Can't do that with my '67. 327/350, 4.11 rear and the CR 4 speed. A blast to drove locally but I get blown off the highway. Cranking 3 grand at just 55 sounding all mechanical. The newer Corvettes get that all sorted out with the 6 speed. Now only if the Richmond 6 speed would fit!

I think a lot of us would be more satisfied with the auto if we had one more gear to really get the rpm's down with a steep rear gear like the 6 speed.

Last six vettes were manual, orderd an Auto for the new c6, and love it!

Getting a stick vs an automatic seems to be dependent on the person's idea of driving and not necessarily what type of car it's in. I've had nothing but manual in my vehicles (cars and pickups) since 1967. I just totally enjoy going thru the gears and enjoy the engine sounds more. For me, it just makes it more fun to be behind the wheel. My next Vette will definitely be a 6-speed.
I did have to buy automatics for two different wives. Both the wives and the auto shifts are long gone.

I have a 1996 A4Q that's a 5spd, I would never go back back to driving a auto ever! My 1987 L98 is an auto and I hate not having the same feeling of control. Sure auto's are faster at the track, but I would never give up my stick for a few mph's faster at the track. On the street there's nothing better than shifting through gears. I say go with the stick.

I think you have to think about the type of driving you do, or intend to do with the car. If it's a daily driver, and you're going to spend a lot of time in traffic jams - auto is the only way to go. If it is a weekend cruiser, and you drive a lot of windy roads - no doubt a manual. If you want to drag race, or beat everything around at every stop light - auto. If you autoX or road course type racing - manual. I have both right now, and they are both fun to drive.

My C4 is an auto that I drag race with, the ECM has been tuned to shift a specific points, the best possible shift points for WOT - this can not be beat by manual shifting, the best possible senerio is for a manual tranny car to nail it perfectly, I do it every time, so the only thing I have to worry about is wheelspin off the line, and when it is shifting from 1-2. If I race a Z06, and beat it off the line, race over - he can't catch me (of course my car has some engine mods). Point is, I' not bragging at all, that the consistancy of the auto will win drag races, wheather bracket, or Mano-e-Mano. The flip side is I also autoX the same car, and get my butt kick every time by the same manual tranny cars that I beat at the drag strip.

All the above remarks have hit all the salient points perfectly, but you have to ask yourself one other thing. What is on the market when and where you're looking?

If you can get a great deal on a low mileage 88 with a 700R4, or a higher mileage 89 with a manual which are you going to buy? What are you going to drive the car for?

By all means, don't jump on the first thing that you see... Look with a jaunticed eye. Checking every thing slowly and deliberately. If you know someone who has a corvette, and an afternoon to donate, (you may have to pony up a meal and a bottle of scotch), ask for an unbiased eye to assist you while you are looking at individual vehicles..

Keep us all informed as to your pursuit!

I solved the problem with owning both at the same time. Whatever hankering you feel like today!

Auto for me. I drive it everyday and pretty much anywhere within 30 miles. I went with auto since I'm using it for a daily driver with some occassional, unsanctioned friendly competition. :D

Skant said:
No automatics on the speed channel. Race cars don't use auto trannies. The vette is a street legal race car. Therefore, it shouldn't be auto.

If you're looking for a cozy automatic sedan to get from point A to point B, why are you buying a vette?

I don't mean to bend anyone. I realize I have an opinion on the extreme here. Obviously, others will disagree. But my personal feeling is... well, I'm actually a little bothered that automatic vettes even exist... much less outnumber the manual vettes. To me it's missing the whole point of a vette.

Just my opinion.

PS: I live in the bay area... home of gridlock. That doesn't stop me from loving my 6 speed. Sure, an auto would be easier when the traffic is at its worst. But I don't drive a vette for a superior enjoyment of gridlock.
I agree with you skant a slush box belongs in a Buick or a socker moms mini van but not in a sports car. For the real die hards a vette is not a true sports car because it has power seats power windows and some have a slush-omatic and to those people it is not a true sports car

Skant said:
No automatics on the speed channel. Race cars don't use auto trannies. The vette is a street legal race car. Therefore, it shouldn't be auto.

If you're looking for a cozy automatic sedan to get from point A to point B, why are you buying a vette?

I don't mean to bend anyone. I realize I have an opinion on the extreme here. Obviously, others will disagree. But my personal feeling is... well, I'm actually a little bothered that automatic vettes even exist... much less outnumber the manual vettes. To me it's missing the whole point of a vette.

Just my opinion.

PS: I live in the bay area... home of gridlock. That doesn't stop me from loving my 6 speed. Sure, an auto would be easier when the traffic is at its worst. But I don't drive a vette for a superior enjoyment of gridlock.
Skant, You are of course forgetting that most pro dragsters use a manually operated automatic. I still stick with the idea of what you are using the car for, if it's drag racing the auto is much more consistant, which is what drag racing is all about.

I don't think your truly driving a car unless it is a manual. Automatics are great, especially for around town driving. But if I'm on the highway and I want to dance with a 300hp foriegn go-kart I would prefer the manual.

I have had both, manual and auto transmissions. I to could not decide which to buy when I bought my 95 vette. I finally decided that the manual was fun for short periods of time but it got rather old fast in traffic, so I bought my auto in May of last year and have put 15,000 miles on it so far and have not regretted getting the auto.

Gooseit.

automatic or not

My '87 is an automatic with 3:73 gears and many other mods.
With the exception of those who have strokers (383s) in them
I have performance-plus. It is really an animal.
So, you can have performance and comfort.
I also have a 4-speed.....different by a little less comfortable.

To see the '87, go to http://members.cardomain.com/bobcorvette

in my past 25 years of driving, i've had ONE automatic car and I hated it. In fact so much so, I got rid of it after only 8 months. I didn't buy my vette to race, I bought it to drive. Therefore it was a no brainer for the ZF6. The loss of fun factor by putting up with the boredom of an auto is a killer & show stopper, for me at least.

ratorto said:
My '87 is an automatic with 3:73 gears and many other mods.
With the exception of those who have strokers (383s) in them
I have performance-plus. It is really an animal.
So, you can have performance and comfort.
I also have a 4-speed.....different by a little less comfortable.

To see the '87, go to http://members.cardomain.com/bobcorvette

I liked your Cardomain site all except for the Mustang....:L Your vette is sick looking, nice work you've done to it. Got to love black :D.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom