Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

auto or not to auto that is the question.

• Thread starter Thread starter Tanreall
  • Start date Start date

Auto or not to auto

• automatic

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • manual

Votes: 56 54.9%

• Total voters
Louis Bartay said:
Average driver, as there are the exceptions. And if you are not pulling my leg about Never missing a shift in 35 years you ROCK!
Actually I was just sett'n here Thinkin How Long it has been sense I Killed a Tranny or Clutch!! It was in my 68 L88 Vert it mite have been 33 yr. I know Bobby Treasure from Kirksville, Mo. my boss at the time and Long time friend taut me how to rebuild a manual transmission, and Took me out and taut me HOW to Drive one!!! Now you talk about a Man with a Arm!!:eek :eek As far as doing much Drag racing at a strip I did that a little with my 67 Shelby Mustang and I tore up 3 or4 tranny's in it before I got the vette!! Haven't tore one up sense the Vette!! As far as motorcycles I have a 1977 KZ1000 LTD Kawasaki with a Amercan Turbo Pak That I used to ride and Street Race, and could ride a pretty Long Wheelie. But about a year after I moved to FL. I realized a man could Die with them Old Blind People thinkin your a Bicycle!! Haven't ridden it in 18 year's!! I have through the year's run at a strip, But mostly Street Race'n and Fix'n every body's Broke Toy's!! I did try Class C Hydroplane after I moved to Florida but that wasn't much Fun after my boat came apart on some Heavy Chop!! I would rather Fall down a 1/4 mi Flite of Stairs!! Who Sez water is Soft!! :eek :eek I did Last summer get to Take a Friend's 74 Z-28 LT that I sold him14or15 year's ago, That he has Tubbed and built a tube chassis and Installed a LS7 454 in with a 4 sp. Down the Columbus Strip turned low 7's 1/8 mi, beat his fastest time by over .1 sec. and all's he could say was Fuzz how in the hell do you do it!!It was a Eye Opener Too!! That B*tch Hook's Up!! :Steer :lou junk!!

I bet you wish you still had that L88 Vette. Not too many of those are around now. I miss the days when you did not need a computer to find out why the car won't start. I older brother had a 62 Vette 327 Muncie 4 speed when I was 16, man I thought that Black Vette was so cool. I wish I had that Vette back as my Brother passed away a few years ago and it was him that made a HP junkie out of me. He had a Triumph 650 that was fast in it's day. I use to sneak it out and have fun beating the cars from red light to red light with it. Still fun to play on the street but now in Texas if you are caught speeding and you are at 100 MPH or more it's go to jail and they tow your ride. So I am really carefull where I play when I am on the Freeways.

Happy Holidays
Louis

Yeah, I wish I still had it!! It's the Only Vette that I really Loved that I don't still Have!! I've had a Friend in Gailesburg Il. Try'n to find it but he think's it got wrecked a couple year's after I left from what he can find out from the guy I sold it to. This and a few other Photo's is all I have left!! :cry :cry junk!!

nobody else is gonna hit my golf balls, or bring my skiis down the hill for me, or keep my gurlfrem smilin.

might seem like work but i enjoy it

like DRIVING

I had to get a stick in the LT-4 330 hp.
My mechanic says he doesn't use the clutch to shift because he knows what rpm is good to shift around in!
Engine rpm is 1500 in 6th gear and I'm going 60 mph

How the heck do you miss a power shift ? Only way I can see to miss one is if something breaks. I have broken linkage on a power shift but never missed one. ;shrug

Glenn
:w

jcdouglass said:
I had to get a stick in the LT-4 330 hp.
My mechanic says he doesn't use the clutch to shift because he knows what rpm is good to shift around in!
Engine rpm is 1500 in 6th gear and I'm going 60 mph
Glenn
It is easy to miss a shift when your clutch slave starts to deterotate.

JC

I assure that buy Not using the clutch every time he will not get the Full life out of his ZF 6 speed. I am 55 and I hve done this many times on a motorcycle but not too many times on my Vette. Eimail Bill at www.zfdoc.com and ask him that question, Do change the clutch slave every 20-30,000 miles and read about how to test your clutch slave on the ZF site. I have 70,000 hard miles on my LT4 and I have just know spent $2000.00 relacing the duel mass flywheel and O.E.M. cluch assembly and labor, Do change the clutch slave every few years.

Louis

G Winter said:
I have broken linkage on a power shift but never missed one. ;shrug

Glenn
Us Boy's from the Mid-West were Hard on Equipment, Like Shifters!! Huh Glenn ??;shrug
This is How I learned to Power Shift!!
1. Grab Stick Firmly with right Hand!! ("Like it's the Head of the MF'r that's Boinking your Girlfriend!!") :mad
2. Press Accelerator to 1900-2100 RPM's
3. Accelerator to Floor and Slide Step Clutch with left Foot!! (In other word's Drop the Hammer!!) :bu
4. Immediately Start Pulling Shifter toward 2nd!! (Like it's time to Rip that MF'rs Head Off!!) :mad It won't go till the RPM is Right, And Will Bang 2nd on it's own, Without letting off accelerator!! :bu
5. After It start's Diggn!(Not Spinning) Immediately start (Push'n that MF'rs Head towards that Brick Wall up by the center instrument Cluster!!) :mad It won't go till the RPM is right, and it Will Bang 3rd. on it's own,Without letting off accelerator!!:bu
6. Repeat Step 4. in to 4th!!!:bu

:lou :lou :lou :lou :cool junk!!

Are you shifting with out the clutch? If so I will pass on that as the ZF 6 speed will NOT take that kind of shifting for very long. I have 70,000 miles on my ZF 6 speed and just replaced the orginal clutch and I have power shifted ( not lifting the throttle, but useing the clutch) many times and it is time for a new clutch slave. Go to Zf doc.com and read all the information on the C4 duel mass clutch and the ZF tranny.

Yes Louis!! I don't use the Clutch with a 3 or 4 sp. and this is "Only if I'm Gett'n it"!! I do use Clutch Most of Time!! However I don't treat My 6sp. in this Manner either!! I do However shift it without the Clutch sometimes!! But not under Full Throttle!! Most 6 sp. are Closer Tolerances than a Old Muncie or Saginaw!! And they have a Different Synchronizer Material than the Old Tranny's(Not Brass) That's why they use ATF rather than 90 wt.!! :upthumbs junk!!

Glad to here it. ZF recommened that we use BMW M5 engine oil, I have been useing Redline GL5 75/90 every 25,000 miles. I am going to try the BMW oil next time and see if it shifts any smoother. Have you read all the informtion on the ZF site as it has some good advice on how to check you clutch slave, the major cause of syncro failure on the ZF.

Louis Bartay said:
Glad to here it. ZF recommened that we use BMW M5 engine oil, I have been useing Redline GL5 75/90 every 25,000 miles. I am going to try the BMW oil next time and see if it shifts any smoother. Have you read all the informtion on the ZF site as it has some good advice on how to check you clutch slave, the major cause of syncro failure on the ZF.
My 03 is still under Factory Warranty and is a MN6 in the rear of car and Call's for ATF DextronIII So that is what I will use at least till Warranty runs out!!:upthumbs junk!!

gmjunkie said:
Us Boy's from the Mid-West were Hard on Equipment, Like Shifters!! Huh Glenn ??;shrug
This is How I learned to Power Shift!!
1. Grab Stick Firmly with right Hand!! ("Like it's the Head of the MF'r that's Boinking your Girlfriend!!") :mad
2. Press Accelerator to 1900-2100 RPM's
3. Accelerator to Floor and Slide Step Clutch with left Foot!! (In other word's Drop the Hammer!!) :bu
4. Immediately Start Pulling Shifter toward 2nd!! (Like it's time to Rip that MF'rs Head Off!!) :mad It won't go till the RPM is Right, And Will Bang 2nd on it's own, Without letting off accelerator!! :bu
5. After It start's Diggn!(Not Spinning) Immediately start (Push'n that MF'rs Head towards that Brick Wall up by the center instrument Cluster!!) :mad It won't go till the RPM is right, and it Will Bang 3rd. on it's own,Without letting off accelerator!!:bu
6. Repeat Step 4. in to 4th!!!:bu

:lou :lou :lou :lou :cool junk!!

Oh how we drove our cars! In my 69 chevelle it was about to take the lead from a Road Runner , went for 3rd gear and snapped the arm off the factory shifter. :DMy arm was just to strong from pitching all those hay bales.;) They also didn't have a stop on the arm like a hurst. I was still under warrenty, the parts man at the dealer asked what I thought was a stupid question. " how did you do that?" I just lifted my eyebrows and looked at him. 50 K of hard driviing never broke a tranny in it .

Now people tell me I am supposed to use the clutch ??? I thought the ZF was supposed to be so tough.;shrug

Glenn

G Winter said:
Oh how we drove our cars! In my 69 chevelle it was about to take the lead from a Road Runner , went for 3rd gear and snapped the arm off the factory shifter. :DMy arm was just to strong from pitching all those hay bales.;) They also didn't have a stop on the arm like a hurst. I was still under warrenty, the parts man at the dealer asked what I thought was a stupid question. " how did you do that?" I just lifted my eyebrows and looked at him. 50 K of hard driviing never broke a tranny in it .

Now people tell me I am supposed to use the clutch ??? I thought the ZF was supposed to be so tough.;shrug

Glenn
Yeah, I know about the Hay Bales!! Seems Like when you grow up in the Mid-west, a boy learns about them!! And thous old Muncie shifters "SUCKED":W :W junk!!

ok this thread keeps showing up as Junk making a new post today. So , maybe if I make a post it will straighten out. Very vew small bales anymore.. all very large square or round now. Kids aren't gonna learn what real work is. ;LOL

Glenn

I have both an auto and a six speed and I wish I had a stick sooner.

Stick forever

If your wife/girlfriend/signifigant other can't drive stick, that's the way to go. That's what I did!

If your wife/girlfriend/signifigant other can't drive stick, that's the way to go. That's what I did!
In England,if you take your driving test in an auto you are not allowed, by law, to drive a manual. Another complete test is required. Roger.

Well, I have experience both worlds. My LT1 Camaro had a heavily modified Auto tranny (pretty much a drag racing 4l60E, minus overdrive) and that thing could outlaunch and outrun most manual cars of simlar power range, of course every time it shifted, it felt like it was going to rip the car apart. And now i have a 6-speed LT1 corvette, and i actually enjoy it more, i feel like i have better control of the car vs a auto, plus the mid-high twenties, potential 30 mpg on the interstate is nice with the 6-speed as well, also mountain road driving (with lots of nice twists and turns) is prolly better with a stick. All in all, i like the auto if its built up for racing (and consistency for bracket drag racing) but i think i prefer the stick for control, handling and just shear fun. so, its all preference, and by no means do i look down on auto tranny vettes, i do knotice there are alot more auto tranny vettes for sale out there then manuals though. Im keeping my 6-speed still though, love being in control in those twists and turns and extremely low rpms on the inerstate (about 1600 rpms going 75-80 mph in 6th gear)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom