Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

auto or not to auto that is the question.

Auto or not to auto

• automatic

Votes: 46 45.1%
  • manual

Votes: 56 54.9%

• Total voters
Vettefan87 said:
My brothers 4Runner has one, and I did not say anything about the converter, re read my post then comment. What don't you understand about NEWER cars, I don't consider C3's C4's new.

Anytime you wanna go MB, and I can guarantee you won't end up in front of me, just ask the bro:D :lou:)

Remember that I said in equal cars and in equal cars I or gmjunkie will stay with you every time while keeping our cars together. How is that, you say, that these old coots could outrun me with my youth? The answer to that is VERY simple. The answer is EXPERIENCE.

Have you ever heard the term "practice, practice, practice?" I don't know about junkie, but I have 42 years of high performance driving practice. How much do you have?

Have a great day,

Who said New??

My 96 is old in my standards even close to a classic. 2005 is new, maybe 2004, but definitely a 2006.

There is nothing we can do to slow down our own age less an automobile. The only thing that can slow it down is money and l mean a lot of money and at the end it would wind up being cheaper buying a newer one.

Alan

Vettefan87 said:
My brothers 4Runner has one, and I did not say anything about the converter, re read my post then comment. What don't you understand about NEWER cars, I don't consider C3's C4's new.

Anytime you wanna go MB, and I can guarantee you won't end up in front of me, just ask the bro:D :lou:)
Exacute Me!! Sorry I'm such a Old Coot, but I consider 1972 and Older; Old Car's and 1973 up Newer Cars 03 ,04, 05, 06 I consider new car's!! :D junk!!

MBDiagMan said:
Remember that I said in equal cars and in equal cars I or gmjunkie will stay with you every time while keeping our cars together. How is that, you say, that these old coots could outrun me with my youth? The answer to that is VERY simple. The answer is EXPERIENCE.

Have you ever heard the term "practice, practice, practice?" I don't know about junkie, but I have 42 years of high performance driving practice. How much do you have?

Have a great day,
I've had my share of Competition Sports,at the ripe age of 9 My older brother's strapped My azz in a 1962 Dart Kart with twin Mac 30's and Live axle.Hauled my fanny all over N.E. Mo.,S.E Ia.and mid central Ill. to dirt and asphalt Track's!! Since then I've just been a crazy Bastard all my life!! ;LOL junk!!

I did not vote because this is your choice not mine. Totally your call on this decision. If you are looking for performance the automatic set up properly will run as well as a manual shift. I went with an automatic due to traffic in Houston. Holding in the clutch in in ruch hour traffic at 5 miles per hour for long periods is not my idea of fun. Shifting is fun but not necessarily faster than an automatic.

miken said:
I did not vote because this is your choice not mine. Totally your call on this decision. If you are looking for performance the automatic set up properly will run as well as a manual shift. I went with an automatic due to traffic in Houston. Holding in the clutch in in ruch hour traffic at 5 miles per hour for long periods is not my idea of fun. Shifting is fun but not necessarily faster than an automatic.

That depends VERY MUCH upon who is doing the shifting. Besides, it's not speed that most manual trans fans are looking for, even though since the man trans car doesn't have the slippage found in the torque converter of an automatic car, it offers the speed as well. Most man trans fans, and certainly myself, drive a manual trans car because we love to drive a manual.

I have spent PLENTY of time driving a manual in stop and go Houston traffic and it is absolutely no problem. With adequate manual trans skill, you simply ease out the clutch a little with the engine idling and move forward, then slip the trans in neutral until you can move the next 20 feet.

Have a great day,

MBDiagMan said:
That depends VERY MUCH upon who is doing the shifting. Besides, it's not speed that most manual trans fans are looking for, even though since the man trans car doesn't have the slippage found in the torque converter of an automatic car, it offers the speed as well. Most man trans fans, and certainly myself, drive a manual trans car because we love to drive a manual.

I have spent PLENTY of time driving a manual in stop and go Houston traffic and it is absolutely no problem. With adequate manual trans skill, you simply ease out the clutch a little with the engine idling and move forward, then slip the trans in neutral until you can move the next 20 feet.

Have a great day,

For everyday driving a manual may be up to the task. However, when racing from a dead stop an automatic the better choice, from a performance and from the maintenance perspective. I used to replace the M22 in my Baldwin Motion 454 SS at least monthly. It could not hold up to the shock of a modified LS6 on slicks. From the 70 454 SS I moved to a new 1984 1/2 5.0 Mustang and I broke five or six of those weak a$$ gear boxes under warranty before the dealer installed an SVO gearbox. However, during the same period of time(70 Chevelle & 5.0) I had a 64 Chevelle SS that I installed a 70 LS6 in front of a junk yard turbo 400 and I never broke that tranny. I am talking hundreds if not thousands of smoky burnouts without drama from the car (broke the 10 bolt twice before installing a 12 bolt). (Although there was plenty of drama from the local PD).
My experience is no different from many others, read the threads on the other site about broken 6 speeds and the expense of the dual mass flywheel. So if you want to dig off of the line Auto, if you want to canyon run/autocross you may want a M6.

Mike

The older C4 with the L98 engine and the auto(R400) ran a little hotter in stop and go traffic during the hot summers, second the older C4's had the 4plus3 manual trans and they did not hold up to drag racing. I would buy a 91-96 with the LT1(auto was a stronger 4L60E ) or the 96 with LT4 6 speed option. The Zf 6 speed is tuff enough with stock tires but if you use slicks you will be spending big bucks having it fixed and the duel mass flywheel and clutch is expensive but they will last about 70,000 miles of hard street playing ( I just had my clutch replaced) Good luck and have fun.

I'm 55 and I've never owned a stick, and probably have driven one a total of ten hours in my entire life, until I bought a 94 with the ZF manual. I've put on 12,000 miles in eight months, probably 4,000 in bumper to bumper Miami traffic and I still love the stick. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Its great fun driving the vette and for me, its great fun experimenting with the stick, attempting to improve technique.

andrewc4 said:
I'm 55 and I've never owned a stick, and probably have driven one a total of ten hours in my entire life, until I bought a 94 with the ZF manual. I've put on 12,000 miles in eight months, probably 4,000 in bumper to bumper Miami traffic and I still love the stick. One of the best decisions I've ever made. Its great fun driving the vette and for me, its great fun experimenting with the stick, attempting to improve technique.

Have fun, as I am 55 also and I love my 6 speed LT4 but you will pay the cost $2000.00 parts and labor for a new duel mass flywheel and clutch assembly. But I don't care I bought this Vette to play with and have fun. My older brother had a 62 Vette 327 4 speed Black I was 16 when he got it in 1966 and I had a blast driving it while he was in the Air Force ( I kept the battery charged) so I have been hooked on vette's every since then. If you ever have problems with the ZF go to ZFDoc.com there is great on info about what oil to use and often to change it.$4000.00 to have them make it stronger so be easy on the Power Shifts ( not lifting the throttle when you shift as fast as you can)

Maybe it's just me but I dont think anything is better than rollin thru the first few gears and watchin the ricers dissapearing into the distance behind me. My choice is a six speed all the way...

jldecke said:
Maybe it's just me but I dont think anything is better than rollin thru the first few gears and watchin the ricers dissapearing into the distance behind me. My choice is a six speed all the way...
:upthumbs :upthumbs :upthumbs :upthumbs :upthumbs junk!!

Louis Bartay said:
Junk? Care to explain?You are kidding right?
Yeah, Thumb's Up!! I'm a manual Shift Kinda Guy!!:D junk!!

gmjunkie said:
Yeah, Thumb's Up!! I'm a manual Shift Kinda Guy!!:D junk!!

My LT4 is a ZF 6 speed manual and I like it too, but I guess you have Never missed a power shift. In stop and go heavy traffic an auto is easier to deal with. But I put up with it as I like the extra HP that a standard has.

Louis Bartay said:
My LT4 is a ZF 6 speed manual and I like it too, but I guess you have Never missed a power shift. In stop and go heavy traffic an auto is easier to deal with. But I put up with it as I like the extra HP that a standard has.
No,I don't normally do many Power Shifts in stop and go traffic!! But Actually I haven't missed a Power Shift in 35 year's!!:Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou Guess that's what separates The Men from the Boy's!! :upthumbs junk!! ps Haven't Exploded a Clutch or Ragged a Synchronizer either!!

gmjunkie said:
No,I don't normally do many Power Shifts in stop and go traffic!! But Actually I haven't missed a Power Shift in 35 year's!!:Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou :Steer :lou Guess that's what separates The Men from the Boy's!! :upthumbs junk!! ps Haven't Exploded a Clutch or Ragged a Synchronizer either!!

I did not say Power Shifting in traffic, see the perriod after the word Shift. I guess you think you comment about me being a Boy is Funny. I am 55 and have been Drag Racing since the mid 1960's and No ONE races for 35 years and NEVER misses a gear. LMAO Your comments speak like a Boy but do have fun.

MBDiagMan said:
For those who must change clutches and synchros frequently, you should indeed drive an automatic because you are not proficient with a manual transmission.
Doc Stated it Best!! :Djunk!! ps Sorry about the period (Louis) I missed it!! My eye's are getting bad!! But my Lt. foot and Rt. Arm work as good as they ever did!!

gmjunkie said:
Doc Stated it Best!! :Djunk!! ps Sorry about the period (Louis) I missed it!! My eye's are getting bad!! But my Lt. foot and Rt. Arm work as good as they ever did!!

No problem, at 55 I am no kid either. But I do like it like a kid and do it like a Man :) I Drag race motorcycles with my son (26) he has my old 1998 ZX9R (Ninja)and I have a 2000 Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa. I too am blessed with good reflexes, try the high 9's at 140 MPH or so in the 1/4 mile sometimes on ONE wheel until the 1/8 mile mark. We spend a lot of time at The Texas Motor Plex Drag Strip and when they have bracket races it seems the winners are usually automatics as they are more consistent with the Average driver, as there are the exceptions. And if you are not pulling my leg about Never missing a shift in 35 years you ROCK!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom