Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto or Short-Throw Manual ?

Automatic or new short-throw manual ?

• Automatic

Votes: 51 29.3%
  • Short-throw Manual

Votes: 123 70.7%

• Total voters
I don't mind auto ( in a daily driver) but when the time comes when you want to put that pedel through the floor, with an auto your really just along for the ride, with a stick your part of the car :lou

at least the manual is not an extra cost item anymore :D

I agree with you. With my hip and back problems I would love this alternative to my automatic. Plus rush hour was a real pain with a stick. Literaly as well as figuratively.
Zippy said:
I'm having a tough time with this decision.

The last 6 Vettes I've owned all had 4-speed or 6 speeds, but I'm seriously thinking of ordering my C6 with an automatic....now, before I put on my flame suit, let me add this. Last summer I've had several occassions where my left calf muscle just tightened up on me while driving the Z06. Doc says it's a normal side effect of the meds I'm taking. Another consideration is a off/on lower back pain that extends down my left leg.....so, I'm looking at the convenience of an automatic. BUT, I've always felt a sports car must be a manual, and the improved short throw of the 6 speed along with the Z51 performance handling package makes me lean towards the MN6 option.

Zippy :confused :confused

My 2003 CLK430 has a 5 speed automatic transmission that can be shifted manually.It does have it's limitations and for the most part it is used in "D"
When wanting to change gears all I have to do is either tap the shifter to the right for a higher gear or tap it to the left for a lower gear.

It takes some getting used to but I like it alot.I can't wait to see what GM's version in the Vette is like.

If Formula 1 race cars drivers don't "row" anymore why the heck should I

;LOL

Why an automatic

mad47 said:
What's an "automatic" ? :Steer :Steer :cool

----I have always enjoyed any kind of driving and I have always had manual shifts. To show my age, my first new car was a '68 MG. My present car is a '99 Mustang Cobra and there have been about 10 manual shift sports cars in between - C6 is on it's way (or so I'm told). A stick shift is just a necessary part of the experience.
----BUT, now I am an official old guy who has had two surgeries on his feet and has chronic foot pain. I can not drive a stick any more because the clutch hurts like ____. Cobra must go. The automatic is for me and I'm hoping the paddle shift is going to be a lot of fun.

JBsC5 said:
Short throw Manual's a blast...for the street or the road course type work...

Automatics rule for consistancy at the strip..

Personal choice would be a dual clutch sequential that even has Dave Hill interested for Corvette's future..DUAL CLUTCH SEQUENTIAL THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS

Automatic transmissions are for girls (but even real women drive manual trannies).
So, what is this dual clutch sequential I've been reading about???
Gersh

Although the poll clearly shows the manual out-pacing the auto by 2 to 1, I think actual sales numbers state otherwise so there is a lot of BS here....;LOL

I have a 2004 CTS-V as well as my 2007 coupe with 6 speed. As I'm aging (57) the auto looks a lot better. Just completed a 1,000 mile trip in the V and caught myself thinking at times the paddle shift auto with faster shifting in the 2008s would be really sweet. Even 5 years ago I would have driven a standard with a broken leg before getting an auto, now I can appreciate the comfort of the auto.

MN6 vs A6

I have an 07/vert/mn6/z51, after two weeks and 1750 miles, shifting is like breathing, I don't even have to think about it, muscle memory is easy to establish. I would not drive a high perf car with an auto, the stick is so much fun and is very easy to use. Clutch is light as a feather, and stretching the gears can give you an adreline rush at lower speeds. I love to stretch 1st and 2nd, then shift to 4, to 6, and just cruise with traffic. Awesome car!!

I have an 07/vert/mn6/z51, after two weeks and 1750 miles, shifting is like breathing, I don't even have to think about it, muscle memory is easy to establish. I would not drive a high perf car with an auto, the stick is so much fun and is very easy to use. Clutch is light as a feather, and stretching the gears can give you an adreline rush at lower speeds. I love to stretch 1st and 2nd, then shift to 4, to 6, and just cruise with traffic. Awesome car!!
Good guys drive white,real men drive std.;)

Good guys drive white,real men drive std.;)

Does that make me bad because my stick-shift Corvette is black?
:confused

-Patrick

What is a "short throw manual?
The measurement between 1st and 2nd ---3rd and 4th----left to right gates.

Example might be I drove a crane the other day .The distance from 1st to second seemed like the shifter travel was three feet.I'd call that long .shifted from second to third,up and over another two feet. Short throw in a vett (newer)is guaged in inches.Now in older vetts 67 back (?) you had options long and short throw.The long wasn't that long and short was prefered for performance.;)

Automatic transmissions are for girls (but even real women drive manual trannies).
So, what is this dual clutch sequential I've been reading about???
Gersh
Dual clutch sequential tranny in EVO X, nissans GTR, Mercedes new SL63 and upcoming in Maserati's new Gran Sport, BMW's new M3 and M5, M6 and porsches upcoming PDK ..for 911, caymans.

Its the best tranny out..

I buy the macho BS of the manual although I enjoy driving one myself.

If the vette offered DSG I would have ordered it in my 08 C6 Z51 instead of the manual.

What a silly question since you have the choice. If you wanna sluch box get a Kia or a Prius.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom