Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Auto shift kit

I looked into a shift kit for my 81 before and I had several people recommend against them. They said over time it would cause wear and tire on several components on the car just because this old car really isn't used to functioning with those hard shifts. I don't know the truth of it, but I avoided it and left well enough alone; I focused on some other areas of need instead. Although I must say it is fun to drive a car with a shift kit in it.

A shift kit is a good thing for making an auto trans last. IT raises the line pressure and provides better lube for all the internals. The exception is if the kit is setup for extreme performance (race). then the shock load on the planetary gears and driveline goes up.

As far as street driving, a shift kit will make the shifts more positive- and it's the gentle slide into gear that kills the trans.

I would install a Trans-Go kit. I use them when I rebuild any of them. For the 350, I think the kit works best when setup at Level 3 per the directions. Not full out race stuff, but it'll bark the tires with a WOT shift. Well worth the money.

Just for a point of reference- I built a 350 some 10 years ago for a bubby that races a 67 GTO every weekend. He's running a 455 and 4:11 gears with slicks. He changes the trans fluid once a month during the season- it's still nice and red, and the trans has never slipped. I also did a 400 for a guy with a 496 Camaro- He put down a 10.20 pass and they told him to put a cage in the car or go home and stay there. Both cars had the Trans-Go kits installed..
Hope this helps.:beer

How about the ratchet shifter for in the car? Do they make one to fit the vette?

I doubt that a ratchet shifter will be a "bolt-in" . Sfter seeing them in the catalogs and at Summit's store, I think the console will need some work to get it in. you may be able to bolt it down on top of the console and then put a cover over it. The cable will allow variation in mounting location.

hmm yea i was hope'n I'd be able to find something. No big deal, stock shifter will work OK

What I did in my 80 , after looking for a ratchet shifter was this.

1) Shift kit , stage 2 for real firm shifts
2) Got a governor weight kit and tuned the box to shift at 5500 at WOT
3) Set the kickdown to kick down earlier

I don't have the need for a shifter now , both on track and on street the car performs wonderfully , a huge difference for not much money

i agree with TimAT...the transgo shift kit is by far my favorite, i have one in the TH350 in my Trans AM and one in my 700r4 in my vette....i love it..

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom