Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Automatic to manual shift knob converter

forkliftman79

Corvette
1991 bright red coupe
Has anyone seen this kit that allows you to put a six speed style shift knob on your automatic shifter installed. If so how does it look does it look ridiculus or ok? Thanks

Does it come with a "turbo tape" .... ??

You know the tape you can put in when you do "cruise-nite" and play it and it makes cool "turbo noises".

Why would anyone want to do that? I mean it is ... what it is .... ain't no shame driving an auto is there?

I mean, I would be more embarrassed if someone was riding shotgun or wanted to drive or something and I had to "esplain" why I had ....

My work partner actually showed me an ad for the "turbo tape" ..... ;LOL

And how would they deal with the lock out knobbie thingie???

I was just wondering if it looked alright, I would like to change the shifter knob on my automatic, but can't find a nice looking one for auto's all the nice ones are for sticks, I wouldn't put anything that has a six speed shift pattern embossed on it that would be tacky.

I was telling my wife the other night about a shift knob I had on my 63 Corvair turbo (Bill Thomas .. pretty quick for a "Vair") ....

Got it out of a Jag in the junkyard for about fifty cents ... and I think it came from a place called "MG Mitten" .... they were the cats meow in goodies back in the 60's.

It was soooooooooooo good lookin' with the baked enamel (growling cat) emblem and the walnut. This new stuff is so sterile looking compared to that real wood.

If someone came out with a line of real wood replacement parts I'd be first in line. :cool

So its basicaly holding the wood while you drive that you like right :rotfl

:chuckle Got me!

But can you change hands between shifts and never miss a ... :)

Glad to see so much support from members to a simple question. Since when did personal choice leave the fourm?

I have not seen the adapter in use, but would consider it.

My impression is that the entire shift knob would move down instead of just the center part
of the stock shifter knob. I've seen some really nice ones out there, as well as some really
"un-nice" ones as well. I've been thinking about this mod for a while now, and it really makes
sense if you've installed a 2 cup holder in your C-5. Not much room left to maneuver the
lock button. If the whole shift knob was used to get out of park instead of just the center part,
it would be a lot better for me. Someone who has done this, please post up your experiences.
Thanks in advance for any info that anyone can provide on this mod.....
Andy :w

Please note that I was also poking a bit of fun at myself. :eyerole

We all try to make a "personal statement" out of our cars ..... but the knob in the middle would pose a bit of a problem would it not ..... ???

It eplaces the knob and you push the whole shifter ball or knob down to engage the travel. I was hoping someon would have done it and could show a pic of it before I order one.

If you want to see what it looks like, go to Mid America site and look at there install instructions for there adapter.

I have what you are looking for. I have had it installed for a little over a year now. I really like it and it works great. I had a custom shift knob painted and needed this adaptor to get it to work. It does sit higher then the stock one so make sure you will be happy with that before you spend the money.

1998Corvette-0358.jpg

Thats exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I like the way it looks.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom