Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

awesome "Merlin" auctioned @ B-J

Status
Not open for further replies.
A sportscar is about much more than "the strip". More than anything, it's about driver/owner fulfillment. If Steve got even a portion of his desired fulfillment, that's all that should be required.

Drag strips, road courses, gymkhanas, rallys, performance driving, concours d'elegance, Top Flight, Bloomington Gold, the local cruise-in, wash & wax in your own driveway, etc.............there's room for everyone without having to meet any other person's requirements for glory.

As long as the person whose name is on the title/ownership is satisfied, that's all that matters.

67HEAVEN said:
A sportscar is about much more than "the strip". More than anything, it's about driver/owner fulfillment. If Steve got even a portion of his desired fulfillment, that's all that should be required.

Drag strips, road courses, gymkhanas, rallys, performance driving, concours d'elegance, Top Flight, Bloomington Gold, the local cruise-in, wash & wax in your own driveway, etc.............there's room for everyone without having to meet any other person's requirements for glory.

As long as the person whose name is on the title/ownership is satisfied, that's all that matters.

Agreed...

John Z said:
The dead-stock restored '68 L-71 right behind it brought $30K more.
And that's about $50K more than it's actually worth.

67HEAVEN said:

I also agree 100%

The original name of the project (if I recall correctly) was Project Insane Asylum, and yes, it was interesting to follow the progress of the car.

My feeling is you had to be in the 'other' forum at the start of the project and follow it along. I never commented, but, I felt Steve was an arrogant jerk. I didn't mind his talking about the car, but his statements of wealth really turned me off.

I remember one of the forum exchanges between Steve and a fellow from Texas who commented upon the build. Steve said he would drive to Texas and drag race for pink slips. I don't think Steve put 200 miles on the car, from his reports, due to the overheating problems. Ya, he was going to drive to Texas!!

To the new owner of Merlin, all I can say is, watch out for Steve's Ferrari. As usual, anything that Steve has is much better than anyone else has, had, or ever will have.

BTW, which ever later owner posted as to the dyno results, a copy posted on the Forums would silence a lot of critics.

A fool (Steve) and his money are soon parted.

Perhaps it would be better to keep the topic on the car and not on the owner.

After all... this isn't jerkactioncenter.com :)

I think the car is cool.

-Gööney0

67HEAVEN said:
Then, why say it here?
Agreed!
Note that the Glen242 has just 2 posts as of right now. Probably someone that ran into the previous owner on a different forum, caught wind we were talking of it here, and just wanted to throw in his "2¢"

67HEAVEN said:
Then, why say it here?

Agreed!

Just trying to set the record straight and defend the 'other' forum. Were any of you actually there during the dog and pony show?

Evolution1980 said:
Note that the Glen242 has just 2 posts as of right now. Probably someone that ran into the previous owner on a different forum, caught wind we were talking of it here, and just wanted to throw in his "2¢"

Ya, that's why my forum join date is August, 2004. I knew back then that this discussion would take place in February, 2005.

I'm often long-winded ... but I'll just say this ... the vast majority of CAC members neither post or appreciate disparaging personal remarks. Much to their credit, CAC's moderators & admins do a good job maintaining decorum. Here at CAC, we routinely disagree with other members ... but by being here we've agreed to disagree without getting personal ... and recognize our participation here is a privilege and not a right.
JACK:gap

Merlin was built for the owner, not for the benifit of an entire forum. When you've put all of your time and effort in to a project you DO NOT want to hear about how someone doesn't like it. Remember, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything.
Merlin had a lot of very nice work done to it that I loved. There were some things that I would have changed if it were my car but rather than rant about those things I choose to look at the things that I liked about his car and see if they fit in my vision for my car.
If I say that your wife is ugly there's going to be a fight isn't there? Have you noticed that every time this car is mentioned a verbal fight breaks out?

Jack said:
I'm often long-winded ... but I'll just say this ... the vast majority of CAC members neither post or appreciate disparaging personal remarks. Much to their credit, CAC's moderators & admins do a good job maintaining decorum. Here at CAC, we routinely disagree with other members ... but by being here we've agreed to disagree without getting personal ... and recognize our participation here is a privilege and not a right.
JACK:gap

What Jack said...nicley worded!

glen242 said:
Ya, that's why my forum join date is August, 2004. I knew back then that this discussion would take place in February, 2005.
Yeah, congratulations. I noticed that too before I posted my words. I also have a login on the other forum from years ago and probably enough posts to count on one hand. My intent was that you seem to be posting about something personal when the thread is about the car. I don't think I've ever used the other forum just to make personal statements about someone. As for the actual statements I said here, I stand by them.

Evolution1980 said:
Glen242 has two posts (at that time).... TRUE
Probably someone that ran into the previous owner on a different forum... TRUE
Caught wind we were talking of it here... TRUE
And just wanted to throw in his 2¢... TRUE

And as of now, my only replies in this thread will be about the car, as that's what this thread is about. I don't like to hijack threads.

Lemme see, I spend $250,000 on a car that is my dream, can not drive it very far because of overheating, sell it for a loss of over $150,000, without getting the problem fixed, bad mouth and threaten people who tried to point out problems early on, but I am a rational person?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom