Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

B&M shift improver kit

LanceB

Corvette
Hello everyone been awhile since I have been here! Has anyone installed one of these on a 400 trans? I am about ready to re-assemble on the 77 (which has been sitting on jacks for months) and just have some basic questions about this kit. The instructions seem pretty straight forward but now I am scared to torque down on the valve body bolts because I broke a bolt last time we worked on it. Luckily the bolt came out pretty easy. I also put a drain plug in the pan. I am getting all new bolts (since I am sure these old ones are work hardened, we should have replaced in the first place).

The biggest question with this kit is the removal of the accumulator spring. Has anyone done this set up before?

No trick. Push the accumulator piston down- caution- it's going to spit the oil in the accumulator up at you- remove the "E" clip, and release the pressure on the piston- the existing spring will push it back out. Installing it, just be sure to not cut the seal on the OD of the piston..

As far as the valve body bolts, just make sure you pull them down evenly so the valve body doesn't get cocked (one side higher than the other). Snug them all, then do the final torque.
Easier than slipping in the bathtub.:w

Shift kit vs. manual valve body

Hi Lance B,
Back in my high school days I had a camaro with a TH400 out of a C3. It had a fully manual valve body and 3000 stall speed converter. Fun to drive (but not as much as a 4 speed). You could put it in any gear and it stayed there. You could also shift up or down any time. The reverse pattern always freeked out the passenger.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for consideration next time you mod your ride.

Jabby

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom