Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Back Coolant Ports Capped off ???

cinci5

Corvette
1982 Red w/red leather int.
Why are the back coolant ports capped off and are they supposed to be both capped off or just one. The reason I ask is I just tore down the intake and put new lifters in and forgot if both or just one of the ports is capped off also why are they if supposed to be ??

I think your asking about intake gasket. No,,,, water is not to be capped off. Those tin sheets are used to block the exhaust crossover to heat carb & intake ,they should be placed in the center, Not water ports front or back. You should see a center port on heads carboned up from exhaust, Thats the place if you want to use them.

The rear coolant ports are blocked off on all SB Chevy intakes, but there are coolant ports at both ends of the heads so the heads can be used interchangeably on either side; coolant only passes through the intake at the front head ports. :)

Just to let you guys know I opened the gasket set and the back ports are capped off on the gaskets with molded in tin sheets in the back ports. The reason I wasn't sure was I had to order the gaskets and they were not in yet to check the package. When I took off the old gaskets the caps were stuck in the ports so I didn't think they were part of the gasket. Thanks for the info and replys.

both ports are supposed to be capped off, and for a couple of reasons. One of them is the designed coolant flowing route (I could go into detail but it's useless and not of interest) and the other is the most important. The manifold plenum floor heating up. You have an 82 right? The CFI manifold has a huge coolant passage under the plenum. If you have the rear ports capped off the coolant won't flow there unless you allow the coolant to exit at the rear...and that is when you have the heater turned on. Pretty smart eh :) turning the heater on also allows the manifold floor to warm up.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom