Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Balancing Exhaust

jdjernegan

Corvette
1987 Coupe
Just installed 2.25" stainless steel dual exhaust with flowmaster mufflers. Would it be better to put a X-Over pipe closer to the motor or a "balance" pipe nearer the mufflers.

Thats a good question. I'd go with an X pipe. What do you mean by a balance nearer the mufflers? An H behind the dana? Not sure if that can be done.

BTW, if you just got a new dual exhaust, why do you want to go back in there??? Is it a true dual, or a catback?

Thats a good question. I'd go with an X pipe. What do you mean by a balance nearer the mufflers? An H behind the dana? Not sure if that can be done.

BTW, if you just got a new dual exhaust, why do you want to go back in there??? Is it a true dual, or a catback?

It is a true dual exhaust.
I saw an item in a catalog (can't remember which one) that offered a pipe meant to go in front of the mufflers and behind the differential, they called it a balance pipe.

Install a X crossover as close to the engine as possible, It has been found it makes better horsepower.

Ideally the x-pipe should go at the hottest point of your exhaust (usually closer to the motor). The easiest way to find this is to let the motor warm up and use a infrared temp sensor to find the spot. If you don't have one of those you can spray some regular low temp paint along a stretch of your pipe and watch for the first area where the paint burns off. That's where your x-pipe should go.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom