Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bare Fiberglass

Corvette
87 Callaway Cpe 87-070 & 68 Cpe 427, 4spd A/C
I want to repaint my car in the correct laquer. What are the opinions on getting off the old poorly applied paint and getting down to bare glass?
Media Blasting? Soda Blasting? any ideas. :ugh

i10fwy

Im getting ready to start on my body. From what I have learned, forget a DA sander. Its just too quick and can lead to disaster unless you are really experienced. A razor blade scraper is highly effective and surprisingly quick, but getting at door jambs etc can be tough. Soda blasting, I looked into this method. A good estimate is $500 in my area. Removes the paint in all the nooks and crannys. But, you need someone experieced to do it without damaging the body. Chemical removal. I'm not going down that road. Lots of guys have with good results. Its just not something Im going to do. Lastly, hand sanding using body boards. A lot of work, and time but sometimes slow is better.

Ill be using a razor blade when the time comes. Theres a video on youtube so you can get an idea on how it works.

...What are the opinions on getting off the old poorly applied paint and getting down to bare glass?...

You may not have to go to bare fiberglass. If the body is otherwise in good shape and if no panel repair appears to be necessary, you would probably be fine removing the color coats to the factory primer. Factory primer was baked. If the original stuff is in good shape, no sense removing it.

Are you doing the work yourself? If so, choice of method for removing the color coat is up to you. If you intend to have the repaint done professionally, talk over the entire process with your painter and follow his/her recommendations.

Good luck.

:thumb

Had a few beers with my friend who has owned a shop for 30 yrs. I thought he had a good idea. Get it, drive it, enjoy it. when you want to sell her then do the mechanicals first! After that. Soda Blast! In his opinion "the only way" But why spend the dough and drive it! Fresh resto's bring more $

Kind of like his thinking.

i10fwy

...he had a good idea...when you want to sell her then do the mechanicals first! After that. Soda Blast...

Six of one; half a dozen of the other. Some potential buyers want to purchase only the bling; others want the mechanicals out of the way. A third group is prepared to do both.

:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom