Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Barrett Jackson to Offer First Saleable 2009 Corvette ZR1

Jay Leno was inaccurate in stating that it was the paint that cost $60,000 per gallon.

What cost $60,000 per gallon is actually the protective coating that goes over the carbon fiber body panels where the carbon fiber is actually exposed to direct sunlight such as the roof and front air splitter.

Why? Because over time, carbon fiber body panels where the cloth is actually exposed to the sun will yellow with time. That protective coating prevents that from happening and if I'm not mistaken, I heard that the protective coating is guaranteed for the life of the automobile.

It's gonna' be a bugger at the body shop, though. But, if you've got the pockets deep enough to front a ZR1, you can surely eat the collision damage.

Wow, it’s 1990 all over again... at least money is going the UW.

B17Crew
:w

1990 Indeed. Nobody can deny the new ZR1 is one hot machine but so was the 1990 ZR-1, King of the Hill.
The 1990+ ZR-1's have taken a serious knock in resale. I dont know why collectors would expect a different outcome with the new ZR1.
Chevy looks to be doing a replay and I would expect, just as the LT engines made the later ZR-1 irrelevant, new Corvette improvements will leave buyers of the new ZR1 dissapointed. That said; If one can afford 100K+ for a car, what does re-sale matter??

I totally agree, and there were only like 480 ZR1s made per year at a $30k premium. I've also got an 04 Z06 Commemorative Z16, 2025 made and its struggling to maintain $40k in value with very low miles. I can wait for a used one. Maybe...

What a beautiful car that is. I still can't figure out how the paint could cost $60,000 dollars a gallon.

Who is that guy who bought it? They said he has the #3 1953 vette as well. Its amazing the money flying around that place this weekend.

The UV inhibitor that is mixed into the clear coat is what costs $60,000/gal

barret jackson

how much did bareret jackson get there grubby hands on

I watched the auction and I never heard anyone say that the car was not included in the bid. Who did you hear say that?:eyerole

I understood them to say though that everything OVER sticker price would be going to charity...so I took that to mean that the car would be paid for first, then everything left goes to charity. However we understood or interperited the auction, I'm sure Mr Ressler knew the detials of the auction...then again, to raise your own bid from 900k to 1 million, he may not care what it takes to get it!

btw...I'd be pretty wicked excited to get to check out that mule too! :L

if you heard them talking about it, they said that the will get 001 in Lemans Blue when it rolls off the line. it WILL be the only one of its kind. Meaning it hasnt even been produced yet. the one they were showing was a JSB Mule car and wasnt for sale. the one that they showed has no serial numbers on it. they said that who ever is the highest bidder gets the first allocation. which would mean that he still has to buy the car, he has just bought the allocation to it. their will obviously be no mark up in the thing and he will really get it for alot cheaper, but the car isnt free cause he donated a million to a charity. you have to read about the auction, they really didnt explain well on the show. just like how Jay leno said that the paint cost 60k per gallon... he was wrong, and was just wicked excited to see the car.
Hope this helps.
Thanks,
~joshua

I know the feeling! they would have to call security and a detail guy if I were there, first security to keep me away frmo the car, and the detailer to wipe up all the drool :boogie!!! Not ashamed to admit it.

You might be right. I could have mistaken it to mean something else...hehe I guess Mr. Ressler could care less either way.:beer

Been there.....when I saw the prototype camaro in atlanta at the big yearly Fbody convention I think I was drooling so much it looked like I must have been sucking on a whole bag of lemon drops! That beast sure was impressive to see in person, and in pictures I wasn't even sure I liked it at all.:)

I wish they'd put it into production just like it is...but I know that won't happen, this was the real deal silver prototype with a pretty mean sounding LS2 in it.

Here's a couple of the shots I took of it...I swear in person this car looked like it was a living beast, I kept waiting on it to growl or walk around the room all by its self!

CIMG0464.jpg

CIMG0466.jpg

CIMG0468.jpg

CIMG0474.jpg

CIMG0470.jpg

That said; If one can afford 100K+ for a car, what does re-sale matter??

Very true, if you’re purchasing a 100K+ Corvette, resale value is probably not going to be the first thing on your mind.

I’m glad to see Chevy continue with it’s ability to release a car that delivers such an incredible punch and will compete against cars costing two to three times as much.

B17Crew

Me too!
I cant wait to get our first one in! they are gonna rope it off so i cant drool all over it... :boogie jk

I’m anticipating seeing it in person. I’ve seen the images of the ZR1 in the magazines and on the net, but seeing it in person is where you begin to get a feel for a car. The lucky ones are going to be the ones who actually get to drive it!

B17Crew

This is where i wish we did test drives.... Thats all right, I know one of my customers will take me for a spin once they have reached 500 miles... Ill put it in the contract...hehehe :rotfl

That would definitely be worth adding in...

B17Crew

Its Official....im doing it....lol
jk... :chuckle it would be nice to do,... but most of my customers make the offer for me to go with them anyways. they know how much I enjoy corvettes and our customers are our friends. I had one of them try and have me take his wifes cooper S out for a hell ride! I so wanted to do it too but I was so busy. Next time!

Good position to be in, I’d make the ride in the Z a long one!

B17Crew

Club member puts deposit on ZR1

A member of our club, Corvettes Limited, in So Cal said he just put a $20,000 depost on a ZR1. Says he should get it in September of this year. I didn't ask what he paid but I am sure I will find out soon enough.

The guy is a very aggressive driver. Not sure if it is the car for him for safety's sake.

Vito

Janet Jackson

Hey, did you hear that Janet Jackson bought out the Barret-Jackson auction house? She is going to keep the name but change the spelling to: Bare It Jackson.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom