Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Change

Green2000

Corvette
2000 Millenium Yellow MN6 Convertible
I want to change my original Delco battery to a Optima Red Top. What is the procedure to change without resetting radio codes, etc.?

I changed my battery a few months ago and didn't loose any setting; all I had to do was set the clock.

Hope this helps . . .

Later . . . . . .
6 Shooter

Be carefull when loosening/tightening the cables to the battery side posts. I dropped my 10mm wrench underneath the battery tray and had to take the whole thing apart to get to it (remove battery and battery tray).:ugh

Be sure you know what the unlock code is for the radio. You'll need it when you reconnect the battery. I just this past weekend installed a new Red Top on my 2000 Coupe after the OEM ACDelco corroded the positive terminal and bonded the battery to the plastic covering the power cable, screwing up the power transfer. Had reduced engine power message on the display and could only go 8 MPH to take it home. Had to use a Dremel to cut the battery piece loose and replaced the bolt.

This may help you.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]COMPUTER MEMORY SAVER [/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Plugs into any 12-volt cigarette lighter or 12-volt auxiliary port [/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Uses one 9-volt battery (not included) [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Protects engine drivability settings and codes. Also protects settings and codes for anti-theft radios, clocks, keyless entry systems and alarms when you disconnect power.

[/font]

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=2291&catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&TID=2024378

Where are you getting the battery? I've been looking all over trying to save on the shipping charges.
Thanks

bluecoupe said:
This may help you.

[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]COMPUTER MEMORY SAVER [/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Plugs into any 12-volt cigarette lighter or 12-volt auxiliary port [/font]
  • [font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Uses one 9-volt battery (not included) [/font]
[font=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Protects engine drivability settings and codes. Also protects settings and codes for anti-theft radios, clocks, keyless entry systems and alarms when you disconnect power.

[/font]

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=2291&catalogId=10101&storeId=10101&langId=-1&TID=2024378
I tried one of these and it didn't work. One of the Corvette vendors even has a disclaimer in their catelog that these do not work on C-5s.
PS - Only thing I lost was clock time and fob needed to be re-learned.
PPS - I never had my "anti-theft" active on radio, so it didn't lock up.

I got the Optima at my local Sears in southern NJ for $130.00. After I got the battery, I saw cheaper prices on the net but with shipping, etc., it's not worth the trouble.

red top battery

I got mine at a local speed shop.The cost was $100.00 plus tax

I just put an Optima in my C5. I reused/refitted the factory foam insulation, and painted the Battery black.

You have to "reset" your remote after also..... you just stand next to the car, and hold both "lock" and "unlock" buttons at the same time, till the horn beeps....it takes ~5-10 seconds.

Here's pic's of the installation, with the battery tender in place.

bob kissinger said:
I tried one of these and it didn't work. One of the Corvette vendors even has a disclaimer in their catelog that these do not work on C-5s.
PS - Only thing I lost was clock time and fob needed to be re-learned.
PPS - I never had my "anti-theft" active on radio, so it didn't lock up.
Well that's not good...Never mind.

Repalcing Battery on 2000 C-5 DELCO/vrs/OMTIMA

I want to change my battery because I am not sure how old it is. I took it out, and checked underneath, not much corosion or anything, just faint signs but I cleaned the try and etc. what I was wondering is should I get one of those mats for acid if I want to keep a DELCO in it? I am a stickler for OEM parts and did the original battery have factory foam around it? Mine hasn't got this but I bought the car used and I really think the battery is original. I keep a Battery Tendor on it in the off season. So I did want to buy a new DELCO, really looked to see if DELCO made a gel battery and from what I can find out they don't. I think the Optima is a good battery I'm sure; but like I said I don't like the looks of it and would like to keep mine original. By the way my battery was dead before I installed the Battery Tendor and when I took it out to check underneath it, and I don't know how long it had been dead, but I am sure over a month; the only thing that I lost as far as memory was I the key fobs, the seating, mirrors, radio channels and all was saved; I guess I was a little surprise because I thought I would loose all of this!

Thanks to all that may comment on this, any help or advised would be appreicated.

Thanks again,
Bill :w

66427-450 said:
I just put an Optima in my C5. I reused/refitted the factory foam insulation, and painted the Battery black.

You have to "reset" your remote after also..... you just stand next to the car, and hold both "lock" and "unlock" buttons at the same time, till the horn beeps....it takes ~5-10 seconds.

Here's pic's of the installation, with the battery tender in place.

2000C-5 Black Coupe Owner said:
.... I did want to buy a new DELCO, really looked to see if DELCO made a gel battery and from what I can find out they don't. I think the Optima is a good battery I'm sure; but like I said I don't like the looks of it and would like to keep mine original. .....

No, seems AC Delco dosen't make a gel anymore. i agree, the "red top" look ain't for me either...... that's why i painted it, and used the factory insulation. i think others make gels (other than Optima), but i felt the Optima was the best option at this point. (BTW: the paint i used was Satin Blk Krylon Fusion, #2421, it's that new type, that bonds to plastic/won't peel off).

It looked good in the pictures, would like to have a gel battery, seems like it would take the worry out of acid leaking problems and etc. But I can't quite get use to switching from OEM battery. I am going to think about it for a while, but I did consider painting it too if I went to the Optima or what every! Mine does not have this factory foam installation around it, do all C-5's have this or do you know? I am going to check the parts CD on this.

Come on spring time, can't wait to get it back on the road, WINTER SUCKS!
Take care,

66427-450 said:
No, seems AC Delco dosen't make a gel anymore. i agree, the "red top" look ain't for me either...... that's why i painted it, and used the factory insulation. i think others make gels (other than Optima), but i felt the Optima was the best option at this point. (BTW: the paint i used was Satin Blk Krylon Fusion, #2421, it's that new type, that bonds to plastic/won't peel off).

..... Mine does not have this factory foam installation around it, do all C-5's have this or do you know? I am going to check the parts CD on this.

i believe they all came with it (the new cars i looked at had it anyway). i think most people/mechanics threw it away when replacing the bat.

That is probably what happen to mine at some point I would say. Do you think I should put it back; what does it do you think? Have you every had the battery mount or base plate removed from your car, and if so how big of a deal is this? Thought it might be a good idea to undercoat it for corosion or something like that; what do you think?

66427-450 said:
i believe they all came with it (the new cars i looked at had it anyway). i think most people/mechanics threw it away when replacing the bat.

I want to change my battery because I am not sure how old it is. I took it out, and checked underneath, not much corosion or anything, just faint signs but I cleaned the try and etc. what I was wondering is should I get one of those mats for acid if I want to keep a DELCO in it? I am a stickler for OEM parts and did the original battery have factory foam around it? Mine hasn't got this but I bought the car used and I really think the battery is original. I keep a Battery Tendor on it in the off season. So I did want to buy a new DELCO, really looked to see if DELCO made a gel battery and from what I can find out they don't. I think the Optima is a good battery I'm sure; but like I said I don't like the looks of it and would like to keep mine original. By the way my battery was dead before I installed the Battery Tendor and when I took it out to check underneath it, and I don't know how long it had been dead, but I am sure over a month; the only thing that I lost as far as memory was I the key fobs, the seating, mirrors, radio channels and all was saved; I guess I was a little surprise because I thought I would loose all of this!

Thanks to all that may comment on this, any help or advised would be appreicated.

Thanks again,
The Delco Platinum (7 year) battery is a "spill Proof" AGM design. There was a (big) problem on the early C5s with the lead/acid batteries leaking. In 2001 GM switched to a leak proof AGM design. GM later learned that the problem was with the side terminals being over tightened causing the battey to crack not really a problem with the (wet) lead acid battery itself. They switched back to a lead/acid battery using (stronger) top terminals in the later C5s. If you want to stick with a "stock" spill proof battery you can switch to an AGM.

read these:

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_batt_plat_main.htm

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/8_00_e.pdf#search='delco%20agm%20battery'

I really appreicate this information; I looked at DELCO's web site and couldn't figure it out. I assume to use this battery I would have to change the cables to the top post style or use the top post to side post adapters at least, right? I haven't looked at the links you sent yet but I am going to now. Just exacly what I was looking for, I really apprecate you sending me this info.
This is just a perfect example of what makes :CAC the best on the net, and the members are what makes it the BEST!!!

Thanks again,

bluecoupe said:
The Delco Platinum (7 year) battery is a "spill Proof" AGM design. There was a (big) problem on the early C5s with the lead/acid batteries leaking. In 2001 GM switched to a leak proof AGM design. GM later learned that the problem was with the side terminals being over tightened causing the battey to crack not really a problem with the (wet) lead acid battery itself. They switched back to a lead/acid battery using (stronger) top terminals in the later C5s. If you want to stick with a "stock" spill proof battery you can switch to an AGM.

read these:

http://service.gm.com/gmtechlink/arcv_pdf/8_00_e.pdf#search='delco%20agm%20battery'

I really appreicate this information; I looked at DELCO's web site and couldn't figure it out. I assume to use this battery I would have to change the cables to the top post style or use the top post to side post adapters at least, right? I haven't looked at the links you sent yet but I am going to now. Just exacly what I was looking for, I really apprecate you sending me this info.
This is just a perfect example of what makes :CAC the best on the net, and the members are what makes it the BEST!!!

Thanks again,

The Delco (AMG) Platinum is does come with side posts.

bluecoupe,

Just wanted to let you know that I called 1-800 ACDELCO today and the battery you are referencing below is discontinued; they do not offer it anymore and they told me they did not have enough sales for it. Now after that I called a local dealer to see if he possibly had one in stock left over or knew how I could get one. Well he told me that ACDELCO quit making the battery because they did not perform the way that they said, he had to adjusted quite a few of them with other Delco Batteries; and he had also replaced a number of other gel type batteries as well. So I guess I am just going to buy the HD Delco for my C-5, he said the only leaking problem he has had with them that if you overtighted the bolts on the side terminal type that he could and has cracked the battery in that area and that was the only leak problem he has ever had with them. So there you go, this is currently the situation. This dealer told me that interstate Batteries offered a gel type battery; but again he told me he has not had that much problem with DELCO's and leaking, at least no more than any other kind of battery. So this is the latest as of this morning; and THE REST OF THE STORY as they say!

bluecoupe said:

read these:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom