Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! BATTERY CHARGER

ed1655

Corvette
1971 WAR BONNET YELLOW TT
i have the nasty habit of leaving the interior light of my '71 on. what happens then is that it sits for 2 weeks and when i go to start it..... big surprise. most of the time i can jump it with my DD (also a v8, baby!), but sometimes it's so dead ;shrug... it needs some more ;help. i'm looking into getting a charger so that i can just plug it and leave it in case this happens again. i'm kinda lost though. first of all, do our sharks operate on a 12v system, like most cars (since the 50's, at least)? also, any recs on what type of amperage to get? if we ARE 12v, this link gave some examples of what's available.

http://www.automotivepartsnetwork.com/store/pc/viewCat_P.asp?idcategory=123

basically, seems like i can get anything from a 6 amp version to 40 amp version depending on how much dough i need to cough up.

any advice, guys?

TIA,
- Evan

Charger

I have a similar problem on my 81 except that I think there is a problem with the alternator that constantly keeps the battery from recharging after start. I haven't had any time to check the problem out just yet. Anyways I just recently recieved a charger for it for christmas :) and have had it plugged in for almost three weeks now and i just leave it plugged in. It was picked up at a local auto parts store for probably a very reasonable price (not sure exactly how much) around $40-60 most likely. I just leave it set on 12V and it keeps her charged. So far It's been great and I haven't had any problems. I'm by no means an expert on chargers but I'm sure someone with a little more knowledge will chime in.

thanks cstarr, - a charcoal '81. sounds nice! well, that helps me out with step one: i guess our cars ARE 12v. now, something that i have learned in my recent research which may help YOU out is to be carefull with keeping that thing plugged in all the time :nono... that's a great way to ruin your battery unless it automatically turns itself off once the charge is full. good luck! :pat

All Sharks are 12 volt negative ground. A trickle charger is a handy item to have, but you'd be ahead of the game if you took a look at what's causing the courtesy lights to stay on.

:)

[you'd be ahead of the game if you took a look at what's causing the courtesy lights to stay on.

:)[/quote]

um.... that'd be ME. alot of times when i come home late/tired/whatever and turn the headlights off, i accidentally turn the interior lights ON b/c it's so easy to turn that knob ever so slightly. since i and/or my wife usually open the door simultaneously, i don't notice that i have actually switched them on. it sounds stupid, i know, but it's just one of those things that has already happened twice, and i just KNOW that it's bound to happen again at some point. just want to be prepared the next time instead of having to call roadside assistance like a big fat LOSER. :bash

Get yourself a fully-automatic "Battery Tender", "Battery Minder", or CTEK battery maintainer; keeps the battery fully charged when the car just sits for long periods, and won't fry the battery like a cheap "trickle charger" or regular battery charger will. I've used the "Battery Tender" on my toys for many years, and haven't bought a battery in ten years. :)

Alternators do NOT like having to charge a dead battery after a jump-start; they're designed to MAINTAIN charge level, not pump massive amps to fully charge a dead battery.

:beer

John,
Can the battery have a dis-connect on the ground post and still use the kind of charger that you describe?
Regards,
Alan

Get yourself a fully-automatic "Battery Tender", "Battery Minder", or CTEK battery maintainer; keeps the battery fully charged when the car just sits for long periods, and won't fry the battery like a cheap "trickle charger" or regular battery charger will. I've used the "Battery Tender" on my toys for many years, and haven't bought a battery in ten years. :)

Alternators do NOT like having to charge a dead battery after a jump-start; they're designed to MAINTAIN charge level, not pump massive amps to fully charge a dead battery.

but with those "tenders".... what do they attach to? just the battery? or to a wall? and would i have to leave the tender in every time i leave the car?

Battery tenders need to be plugged into a standard 110V outlet and connected to the battery. To solve the problem you're having, you'd have to connect the battery tender every time you park the car. Sounds like a pain. A different option is to install a battery disconnect. Then each time you park your car, you just open up the battery compartment and disconnect the switch. It would be much easier and cheaper too. Do some searches here, you may find some pictures or info, I know others use them.

thanks guys. i think i'm gonna go with a charger for now and look into the cutoff thing... still kinda confused about the whole dry cell/wet cell thing. i hear you're not supposed to use a charger with a dry cell. is this true? if so, how do i know if my battery is a dry cell or a wet cell?

but with those "tenders".... what do they attach to? just the battery? or to a wall? and would i have to leave the tender in every time i leave the car?

You can either use the clamps that come with it on the battery terminals, or they also supply a hard-wire lead with an insulated quick-disconnect plug that you leave on the battery all the time, and just connect to the mating plug on the "Battery Tender" instead of fooling with the two clamps. I've used the hard-wire approach on my Ferraris, as their batteries are REALLY hard to get to.

This is my $10 cure for the battery blues on my '69. Cheap, clean, effective and oh so easy to use and install.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...emType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=1388&keyword=25053

10 bux. I can leave the car sit for months. If you have a modern radio you'll lose the presets.

THANKS! i'm all over that! any idea why this one is 5 bucks more?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/...?itemID=1373&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=1373

it *looks* like it does the same thing. did you have any issues fitting that apparatus in your batt compartment?

Mine is actually a bit different than either, but it fits fine. I just reach around behind my seat when I park and give the Knob a spin. My battery never seems to burn out anymore either.

Aside from accidentally leaving something on, the clock will kill your battery in a couple of weeks. The battery shut off knob works great!

10 bux. I can leave the car sit for months. If you have a modern radio you'll lose the presets.

The same company makes a second version with a fused bypass to feed keep-alive memories while the main circuit is disconnected; about three bucks more. :)

Install a master cut off switch in a easy to reach inconspicuous place. Makes it great for working on your car too no digging in the batter box with wrenches to undo cable. A little more theft deterrent too.

%5BSPC%5D010+010-PL.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom