Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery Question

kingman

Corvette
2002 Torch Red Coupe
Hi

During the winter l only drive my 02 maybe once every 2/3 weeks because of the weather and l don't want to clean it.
It is the orig battery and still seems to hold a charge, l never had a starting problem.
Should l have it tested when l bring it in to my dealer to have the oil changed or should l wait until l notice something?

One thing to look for is leakage... The battery is over the BCM and can cause havoc in the computer and it is not cheap to replace.

As for having it checked, it certainly wouldn't hurt. You could also leave a battery tender hooked up to it to keep it topped off. A tender only charges when the battery falls below a certain voltage. The battery is spec'd to go for about 21 days or so without needing charged when it is left hooked up in the car.

No short cuts

Hotwing\

Your probably right, when my vette goes in next Fri for an oil change l will have the batt checked out and if it's not perfect l will have them replace it. Even though l still have a GMPP warranty left for another 3 years l feel if the dealer changes the battery and something goes wrong they will do the right thing. If l have somebody else do it then they can come back with all kinds of nonsense.;shrug

Thanks

Alan:beer

Does the GMPP cover the Battery?
Barrier

I decided to pass on the tender!

It's easier to just take it out every two weeks for an hour or so to juice up the battery.

thanks

Hotwing\

Your probably right, when my vette goes in next Fri for an oil change l will have the batt checked out and if it's not perfect l will have them replace it. Even though l still have a GMPP warranty left for another 3 years l feel if the dealer changes the battery and something goes wrong they will do the right thing. If l have somebody else do it then they can come back with all kinds of nonsense.;shrug

Thanks

Alan -

What exactly do you think they are going to check? If the battery is holding a charge (load) and not leaking or showing signs of obvious damage its fine.

You are taking much more of a chance by having the dealer touch you car in the first place than anything the battery will cause. Get a battery tender, as suggested above and keep the dealer away.

Good luck at any rate.

Your probably right

Hi Warren

Long time no hear. I still didn't do anything with the blackwing yet.

The only thing that l did was get an extended warranty from GMPP for another 3 yrs and 24,000 miles.

How's your vette running?

Hey there -

Running fine, As ususal, the Vette has been in the garage under the covers since November. I generally stop driving it when it becomes to cold wash. I could have taken it out a few times when it was in the 60s in December but just didnt feel like it. I just passed the 30,000 mile mark.

I guess you are still drving yours? Lucky so far- no road salt....yet.

WS

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom