Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Battery tender

PAULIE B

Corvette
2007 sliver, 02 sold ,87 sold
I know this has been said time and time again. Haven't started the car in two weeks. Was nice out on saturday and it wouldn't start. Jumped it and started right away. It is covered (2-covers) so i don't start it all the time.(during the winer too cold) Had the car a month and a half now. Do i need a battery tender and what does it do and how should it be installed? I am mechanically inclined.
Thx
Paul:w

HI, When I store I dis-connect the battery. I charge once in the spring and I'm good for the summer. If I let the cars sit for prolonged periods I again dis-connect. I do not like energized systems in auto's that are un-attended, like my Vette's that are not daily drivers. I know that there are a ton of Battery Tenders out there, I just don't want my Vette's plugged into 120 Volts. Stuff happens and I have seen how a Vette burns. Jusy my opinion...If it's a 6SPD I understand that it should be parked in reverse to prevent more of a parasitic drain.

HI, When I store I dis-connect the battery. I charge once in the spring and I'm good for the summer. If I let the cars sit for prolonged periods I again dis-connect. I do not like energized systems in auto's that are un-attended, like my Vette's that are not daily drivers. I know that there are a ton of Battery Tenders out there, I just don't want my Vette's plugged into 120 Volts. Stuff happens and I have seen how a Vette burns. Jusy my opinion...If it's a 6SPD I understand that it should be parked in reverse to prevent more of a parasitic drain.

Correct ,this is what GM recommends in the owners manual .I use a battery tender only on occasion and I never leave it on for more than 8 hrs and most of the time I disconnect the negative cable .:thumb

I have had a Battery Tender on my 1989 Corvette from the day i brought it home almost 22 years ago. The first battery lasted 14 years. It has never failed to crank over. :)

:wThis topic is timely for me.
Mine is parked outside and used occasionally.
I just had my battery die and I think it froze so i got a new one.
It is not installed yet.

My question is what is needed when I reconnect. Do I have to recalibrate tpm or some computer related item?? Is it a problem to leave disconnected for a while?:beer

It is not installed yet.

My question is what is needed when I reconnect. Do I have to recalibrate tpm or some computer related item?? Is it a problem to leave disconnected for a while?:beer
I'd remove PDQ as you may end up with an acid leak which would be a major problem . No you probibly will not have to re-program a thing . Good luck

It is not installed yet.

I live in Massachusetts and my Vette lives in Florida. I'm fortunate enough to visit it 6 or 8 times a year, and I disconnect the battery every time I return to Massachusetts. You will lose the programed radio stations, the memory seat positions ( mine are the whole way back so it doesn't matter), the programed mirrors (I'm the only driver, so it doesn't matter), the programmed telescopic steering column, and if someone has programed the radio for anti theft, you'll have to enter the unlock code for that as well. The "computer" will also lose it's stored information, but will "re-learn" everything within 20 miles, or so, of normal driving. Been doing this for 5 years to my Vette, and so far no problems.
Andy :w

Battery logic !

The C5 corvette has a 20 ma draw on all the time. So your battery is constantly being drained. 20MA is really a tiny draw, but it's still there. In your case though, it seems like a weak battery along with the parasitic 20MA draw. I use a battery tender called "Battery-Minder" made in the USA by VDO electronics, which is sold in Northern tool stores for $39.95 and the cool part about this tender/ or float charger is it only charges your battery if the voltage drops below 11.6 volts and it only charges it up to 12.5 volts and then it turnes itself off charging mode, but it starts a process called desulfation which is the plaque or crud that builds up on the batteries lead plates inside it. This is in an effort to keep your battery in top shape longer. I Have a Optima RedTop and I put the float charger on when ever I'm not going be using the car for ten days or more. Is it overkill? Perhap's ! :w

Battery Tenders Do The Job

I'm with killian and Toms01. Because of where I live mine is down for six months every winter and I've always used a battery tender. The battery is now 10 years old.:cool

And when I do replace the battery it will be with an OEM Delco not one of those "trendy now" jobs.:L

hi
my battery tender has been on all the time.
no problems.
great item.
billy:w:thumb

I've got battery tenders on both of mine for the winter as well as during long periods of inactivity in the warmer weather. My biggest concern about disconnecting the battery on a regular basis is the wear and tear on the battery post and internal structure when re-attching the cables. Most of the battery failures I've experianced were due to internal connections in the battery. I know that using a torque wrench and proper procedures will minimumize the risk, just saying...

I used a Deltran Jr. tender on my C4 for five years during the winter and any long periods in the summer on the battery that came with the car and never had a problem. I am using the same tender on my C5. I wouldn't use a continuous trickle charger that never alters the charge vs. one that monitors the battery and turns itself on and off. I also use one on my John Deer lawn tractor and boat lift battery and never have had a problem.

Here's a link:
Battery Tender Junior 12V @ 0.75A - Automotive - Batterytender.com

I Use 4

I've got one in the garage for the race car/quad battery, one on the vette and two, one for each battery in the trailer. They are designed to keep your battery active coming on when needed, shutting off when not. Never had a problem but battery tenders can go bad too so it pays to test an older one.

I've got battery tenders on both of mine for the winter as well as during long periods of inactivity in the warmer weather. My biggest concern about disconnecting the battery on a regular basis is the wear and tear on the battery post and internal structure when re-attching the cables. Most of the battery failures I've experianced were due to internal connections in the battery. I know that using a torque wrench and proper procedures will minimumize the risk, just saying...

The Tender that I use came with a 'pigtail' that attaches to the battery terminals and then the tender itself has a plug that just plugs into the pigtail. I never have to clip the charger onto the battery directly.

The Tender that I use came with a 'pigtail' that attaches to the battery terminals and then the tender itself has a plug that just plugs into the pigtail. I never have to clip the charger onto the battery directly.

:thumb That's the way I do it too. No messing with the battery terminal posts. I've considered using the lighter plug that my battery tender came with, but I prefer just to drop the cable between the engine and the frame and come out behind the tire. The interior stays "sealed" that way

My tender is from Harbor Freight, which will scare some of you die hards, but it's never failed me and keeps my battery charged like a champ! Alot of the local vette club guys around here use the same one with no problems. About $5-$10 normally.

Good luck

Battery tenders.

My tender is from Harbor Freight, which will scare some of you die hards, but it's never failed me and keeps my battery charged like a champ! Alot of the local vette club guys around here use the same one with no problems. About $5-$10 normally.

Good luck

There's a lot of tenders on the market, Ctek, Battery-minder, Sears, and so on. But the only thing that's important is that what ever one you pick, make sure it's a 1.5 amp float charger. The one I have only starts to charge if the battery in the car drops to 11.7 volts, then it charges the battery till it gets up to 12.6 Volts, then it shuts off the charging and starts a 'Delsulphasion' process. (It is a cleaning process withing the battery were it cleans off the plaque that builts up on the lead plates or for a Optima the coils)

But the tender just is a good idea to keep the battery on "Ready to go status" I put my car away in November and I'll start it in late March. The C5 has a parasidic drain of 20Ma so it just helps the battery to exten the batteries life. A lot of folks start to have Battery problems after they've added all sorts of stereo or amps, and sound systems, any one could have a ground's flaw and then you have starting problems.:w

I use "original" tenders made by Deltran on my y2k vette, my earlier 81,harley fatboy,and even my john deere tractor in the shed.

during the winter months,usually November 1 thru early April.

Never had an issue,and they always start in the Spring.

... I use a battery tender called "Battery-Minder" made in the USA by VDO electronics, which is sold in Northern tool stores for $39.95 ...

I also use the Battery MINDer and highly recommend it! :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom