Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BB valve guide seals?

67l36driver

Corvette
'67 convert
What style valve guide seals work the best on a big block? What valve job gasket set would include them? Felpro?;help

I have used the rubber style (on a Corvair) with the Teflon insert but the rubber gets hard and splits allowing oil to be sucked in. The all Teflon (Perfect Circle?) work fine (on Corvairs) because they resist the heat better but I've seen it mentioned that they are more for the racer type application.

I'm sick of 'Old Blue' sucking oil down the guides and it's time to cure the problem.

Wow -- I just went through this last year. I have a 427/425 and it had perfect circle oil seals. The engine was sucking some oil resulting in blue smoke at warm/hot startup. I had umbrella type rubber seals installed in addition to the perfect circle seals on the INTAKE SIDE ONLY. We had to look through several different manufacturers types of umbrella seals until we found one that fit properly. Problem seems to have been resolved. Note the engine had low miles since rebuild and the valve guides were redone at rebuild using the brass inserts. Personally after looking at the perfect circle seals, I cant see how they are able to stop any oil from running down the guide. You are correct in that they are more oriented toward race applications.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom