Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BBC angle plug heads

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
I was looking at a set of hooker header side pipes for 2 of my vettes. I posted a similar post a few months ago. but now i have a different situation. I have a 454 with agle plug iron heads. They say in the item description that they don't fit angle plug heads is this true? If so, is there a way to make them work anyway?

The "strait" & "angle " plug heads are smallblock heads. I assume your 454 is a bigblock & not one of the Motown 454sb's.
You need to be looking at BB headers.

no, its not a motown that i know of. I honestly don't even know what a motown motor is. what are they exactly? This is def a big block chevy. 454 2 bolt and bored 60 over. It has angle plugs and the driver side plug angles in at the firewall and the pass side angles out at the radiator (I think). aslo what are frame stands?

Super Competition Sidemount Header, Side Tube, Chrome Finish, Wont Fit Angle Plug Heads, Require Part # 10922HKR To Mount Alternator/Generator On Passenger SidePart # 21021HKR, 21003HKR Are For 4", Sidetubes, Legal Only For Off-Road/Racing Use Chassis - Engine
  • Corvette
    5.7L, V8, Gas, 4 Barrel, VIN "J", Requires Big Block Frame Stands And Mounts From 68-72 Nova Or Chevelle Or 70-72 Camaro For Proper Header Fit And Location
  • Corvette
    5.7L, V8, Gas, 4 Barrel, VIN "T", Requires Big Block Frame Stands And Mounts From 68-72 Nova Or Chevelle Or 70-72 Camaro For Proper Header Fit And Location
  • With Factory Air Conditioning
    7.4L, V8, Gas, 4 Barrel, VIN "Z", Requires Big Block Frame Stands And Mounts From 68-72 Nova Or Chevelle Or 70-72 Camaro For Proper Header Fit And Location

I dont know what heads you have but they are not very good with most sets of headers. Some hot shots think flame travel or something like that is better with angles. I know I dont need them. My opinion of that is really not printable. Just put some more HP in the sucker with big tube primaries headers and a better cam with some tall dome pistons and go have fun. :upthumbs

"I dont know what heads you have but they are not very good with most sets of headers"

I'm not sure what you mean. ???

I ASSUME THAT YOUR 454 IS IN YOUR '69. I HAVE A 68 454 WITH HOOKER SIDEPIPES AND THEY FIT PERFECT. I DO BELIEVE THE ANGLE PLUG IS REFFERING TO A SMALL BLOCK. I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF A BIG BLOCK WITH ANGLED PLUGS. THERE ARE TWO DIFFERENT MUFFLERS AVAILABLE FOR THESE SIDE PIPES THAT YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF, ONE IS VERY RESTRICTIVE AND THE OTHER IS MORE LIKE A GLASS PACK. THE GLASS PACK IS QUITE ABIT LOUDER, BUT DEFINITELY INCREASES THE HORSEPOWER. THERE ARE ALSO BAFFLES THAT YOU CAN GET FROM ANOTHER COMPANY THAT REPLACE THE MUFFLERS. EVEN LOUDER, BUT EVEN MORE HORSEPOWER. IF YOUR INTERESTED IN THE BAFFLES I WILL HAVE TO FIND OUT THE NAME OF THE SUPPLIER, I JUST CAN'T REMEMBER IT AT THIS TIME, BUT THEY DEFINITLY DO THE JOB. THE COPS HATE THEM.

I have a 454 with agle plug iron heads. They say in the item description that they don't fit angle plug heads is this true? If so, is there a way to make them work anyway?

No such animal as "angle-plug" big-block heads; if you read the info closer, you'll see that they're talking about the headers not fitting SMALL-BLOCK angle-plug heads (which were never used in production - only as over-the-counter service replacements).

:beer

No such animal as "angle-plug" big-block heads; if you read the info closer, you'll see that they're talking about the headers not fitting SMALL-BLOCK angle-plug heads (which were never used in production - only as over-the-counter service replacement

johnz that is kinda what i was figuring at this point. thanx for the added info. just wanted to make sure don't wind up with the wrong set of pipes. hahaha

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom