Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

been working on my car today...

Flared69

Corvette
1969 350ci #36155
Ok, today I decided to do a compression test and everything worked out consistantly for that. Then I decided to change the spark plugs and the distributor wires (if thats their correct term ie. the wires that go from the distributor to the spark plugs).

Now, the car runs smoother, but I still have a problem or two.

1) The engine, when I switch it off, still seems to tick over for about 2 seconds. What could be doing this? I thought it could be a damaged head but the compression is all satisfactory (??).

2) Maybe it was this winter, but the headlights seem to be a little bit more unreliable? Is there any difinitive guide on repairing the vacuum/whatever for the headlights?

3) My wiper door still doesn't work, but that never really bothered me as the car doesn't get driven in the rain. But I would like to fix it for peace of mind just in case I do get caught in the rain. I'd expect that its yet another vacuum problem?

4) I noticed, after this winter, it appears that I now have stress cracks on the fins of the front fenders of my car? Are these common place? Are they something to worry about? I noticed them on a few cars that I was looking at before I purchased my vette about 6 months ago, and steered clear of the ones which did, but now mine has them!

Any help is appreciated.

My car is as follows:
1969 4 Speed Stick
L46 350 with sports cam
Edelbrock Performer RPM 427 intake manifold
its been switched down to a 600cfm carb (next two weeks a holley street avenger 770cfm is going on it).
Extractors/headers
Sidepipes

Cheers in advance for any help
smile.gif
I'll be watching this thread closely.

Hey, I can't help with lots of your questions but I am pretty sure that the problem with the engine running a little after you kill it is the timing, check and make sure you are right on with the timing, that should slove that problem.

Did the 69 have an antidieseling solinoid on the carb?

i too thought the timing was not right on my car because it did the same thing. then one day it dawned on me that it may be spark knocking from not having high enough octane. so i went and put some amoco 93 octane in it and never again has it done this. are you running too low of an octane?

stress cracks

was the car freshly painted?? seems odd for the cracks to show up after 6 months, when the car is 35 years old. seems like someone used spot putty instead of doing a proper repair to the fiberglass.mike

For the vacuum problems you're referring to, I'd be tempted to call Doc Rebuild and get a new set of hoses for the whole system. The headlights are bad enough, now you throw in that wiper system... :Roll

Vacuum tests are easy enough, but you'll need to go through the system one hose or section at a time. Also don't forget to check the vacuum holding tank under the right (I think it's the right) fender as these get rusty and are prone to leaks, especially after 35 years. In fact, I'd probably start there and work my way out.

Hope that helps. :)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom