Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

being cheap & stupid

grumpyvette

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of my friends recently got hurt when a cheap 750lb capacity engine stand (LIKE THIS but not this brand)

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=776855&prmenbr=6970

tipped over,I build engines on a semi- pro basis, do yourself a huge favor and buy this engine stand,(BELOW) you can,t beat a 2000lb capacity for $80 and Ive got 4 of them in the shop now, you cant stop an engine if it starts to flip when your torqueing the bolts and if you get cought between the engine and the floor the damages to your body will cost thousands and months to repair , be smart and use the CORRECT TOOLS FOR THE JOB!

http://www.northerntool.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=19976&prmenbr=6970

And your correct about the high shipping cost if you order one but I live about 90 miles from a store so I just drove over and bought a few several times for myself and my friends, why not check if theres a store near you?
youll also need mounting bolts for the engine,4" grade 5 will work with a few washers installed on the bolts under the bolt head but 4" or 3 1/2" long 3/8" NC grade 8 bolts are what you should use,(4" will require a few spacer washers, 3.5" can only use 1 washer and still be long enough) remember the differance in cost between grade 8 and grade 5 is less than $2 and the grade 8 is several thousand pounds of shear strength stronger, your life could depend on that $2 worth of extra strength (its your choice but my butts worth $2 extra, I think youll be inclined to spend the $2 more if you think it over) BTW a little trick is to slide a washer onto the bolt before inserting it in the mounting head and slip a 2" piece of 3/8" fuel line over the bolt from the front on each bolt in the tool head after the bolts inserted , this tends to keep them from fallin out when an engine is not installed on the stand, which is how those grade 8 bolts get lost!

Your absolutely right on the money here ! I've used one of those cheap "bastages" before and you really have to be careful . They seem to want to tip . If you can't buy a good one , rent one ! Quality costs- but junk can cost more .

That applies to just about everything.

You hit the nail on the head. For years I would buy cheap stuff and pay for it in the end. My wife taught me that you get what you pay for, so pay for quality or spend more money later. We bought a BMW a few years ago and I wanted to get the 318 4 cyl to save a little money. My wife said, "Oh no! We should get the 325 with the 6cyl and be happy." That's my gal!

Guy

Your right! I took my wife on a 1st cheap date & been paying for it ever since!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom