Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Bellhousing Dust Cover for 1 piece rear main seal?

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
Anyone converting to a crate motor with a one piece rear main seal... Where did you get a replacement dust cover/inspection plate to cover the bottom half of the bell housing for a 4 speed. The cover I have for the old 2 piece seal doesn't fit. I'm thinking of cutting it but was hoping there was an after market replacement.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Whiplash

You may need to cut it. I don't know if one from a later car model would work on the earlier bellhousing.

I ordered a new one because my old one well did not exist, so I cut the new one to fit, it was a very small modification.

Thanks,

Drew

Well now i know why my car doesnt have the dust cover installed.(GM 300 hp crate motor with M20,original motor sitting in "crate" in garage)

I ordered a new one because my old one well did not exist, so I cut the new one to fit, it was a very small modification.

Thanks,

Drew

Drew,

Thanks. Cutting it was my backup plan. I guess it's the primary plan now. Any hints of how much needs to come off? The bellhousing is bolted to the engine now and it would be good to have an educated guess of how much to cut so I don't have to go back and forth too many times. I'm also worried about it rubbing so I want to make sure enough comes off before I start the motor.

Whiplash

I honestly dont remember how much, but it was not much of a modification. I just held it up and cut back the area where it did not fit. More just a trial and error. Best of luck.

Thanks

Drew

I honestly dont remember how much, but it was not much of a modification. I just held it up and cut back the area where it did not fit. More just a trial and error. Best of luck.

Thanks

Drew

Drew,

Thanks. I cut the old dust cover and installed this weekend. The answer is 1/2 of an inch. I also had to cut a rectangular piece out to allow it to fit the new mini starter.

Whiplash

That sounds about right I new it was not much.
Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks,

Drew

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom