Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Benefit from MSD 6AL or not?

F

Fiddler's Gold

I am currently running what I would call a standard AC-Delco HEI type distributor (blue cap with brass terminals with ignition coil on top big blocky black piece) - funny thing is that the cap has these spring-held screw with clips built in the end to hold them down to the distributor itself. Tried to go buy a new set of cap & rotors & plugs and found out that my distributor will not accept any bolts or screws, apparently just caps with those springy notch screws that push out, spin and hold to the base of the lip of the distributor. What is this called and is this normal????

The question:
Previous owner (yeah that idiot again) decided to not hook up the MSD 6AL properly (insert at all here) and I was wondering if I should upgrade my distributor and coil system to an aftermarket high-performace like MSD etc (MSD Pro Billet with Blaster coil) or is this just a waste of $$$? Should I try to hook up my MSD 6AL again or will it actually help things at all? Please give me some advice and thanks!!! :)

Fiddler

The MSD offers a much greater gain on an open chamber engine. I doubt that you would realize much gain on one of these small chamber motors.

I have one on an old smog era pickup with open chambers and it makes all the difference in the world.

Good luck,

LarryBible Man

Can you define what you mean by open chamber engine and my small chamber motor??? You mean because it is not a Wildcat 455 or a 1974 454?

:)

Fiddler

Once the "smog motors" came along in the early seventies, the compression ratios had to be lowered to prepare for low octane unleaded fuel (this was the result of the massacre of '68 which started all the emmissions concerns that ruined our high performance engines for a while.)

To lower the compression ratios, the SBC got cylinder heads with much larger, or "open" combustion chambers. The smaller, wedge shaped chambers gave higher compression ratios, but also more efficient flame propagation.

When the L98's came along, they were able to raise the compression ratio again and went back to the 57, or so, CC wedge shaped combustion chambers. Because of the increased combustion efficiency, the multi spark does not offer as much advantage as it does with the less efficient large chamber heads.

What you were referring to was the buzzword use of the term open chamber as applied to the early seventies "Open Chamber 454." This was an advantage because the Open Chamber was used, but it was used with a domed piston to retain the compression ratio, while improving the breathing capabilities.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the wonderful and insightful information, Doc!

Wow. Thanks.

I think I will try to hook it up since it is already mounted and installed, just needs to be properly hooked up! Thanks!!! :)

Fiddler

Dude I didn't read the last posts but I saw the thread title...

USE THE MSD!! They are wicked! You'll notice a HUGE difference in acceleration and a good increase in fuel mileage!

The 6AL has a Rev limiter built into it (Thats interchangable for different RPM) this is really nice for racing.

The 6AL makes 60% more spark and fires the plugs 3 times each stroke. Therefore you do not waste ANY fuel and your fuel ignition is MUCH faster.

So you got more power as a result and better fuel mileage.

I love mine! (I have the 6A) I want to get the 6AL or Digital 8 so I can have the Rev limiter hehe!

Thanks for the kind words! I mean COOL words of advice! hehe

Thanks!

Hey, How did you hook up your distributor to it? I have the a blue cap with brass terminals and I am assuming a somewhat stock type AC-Delco distributor system with the black ignition coil (HEI) built in the top of the cap and some type of aftermarket red (like the MSDs) rotor. I have the wires going to BAT and the other connector for the TACH. I d/l'ed the 6AL manual but I am still a little clueless on the proper installation. (and I am a senior engineer) hehe :crazy

Thanks for any and all input and thanks for the words of encouragement!

:)
Fiddler

I also have the 6AL and Blaster 2, it has made an improvement in mileage and bottom end performance. Next will be a move to the tpi system.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom