Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best Exhaust Sound (Drone?) Deadener

Brian Smith

Corvette
1993 Viper Red Coupe
I installed a "Sweet Thunder" chambered exhaust system (with H pipe) on my 1993 Lt1 Coupe. It had original stock everything. Got the cats from Summit. Everything, all told, from manifold to new exhaust tailpipe tips, it cost around $600. Did what welding was needed my self so the wasn't any cash outlay there. And it really sounds great!

However under load and acceleration it is fairly loud inside the car and rather than admit that it's too loud to the wife I figure that when I replace the interior this winter I will apply sound suppression material.

I've done some preliminary research and found Dynamat, FatMat and any number of other solutions. Since it seems we are all kind of cut from the same cloth it is logical that someone else has experimented with this problem and the solution. Perhaps a consensus could be reached as to the best way to reduce the interior noise. I know none of us have the sound level meters to conduct before and after reading so I am relying on your subjective input.

In several vendor info the mention sound reducers and vibration reducers used in conjunction. Pardon my cynical engineers brain but that seems a fine way to buy two products to do one job. Your thoughts?

Having been in the military my hearing is trashed anyway so if I hear the noise it must be real loud and that's why the wife won't ride with me readily.

Beam some of your collective wisdom down on me here gang! Help me spend my money wisely!;help

The following thread has excellent pictures and loads of information.

Interior Make Over (Light Oak to Pewter) dial up beware - Corvette Forum

I have not done this yet, but I do have all the materials. This will be a good winter project for me.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SOUND DEADENING PROJECT! THE :w IS TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED. LOOK FOR HOW MY VETTE WAS USED TO STOP AN SUV!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom