Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best idler arm... Moog, TRW???

80convertible

Corvette
1973 converted to 1980 custom convertible
Thinking of upgrading my idler arm. I know the needle bearing idler arms are better than factory, but do I really need this heavy duty idler arm for cruising? I think either TRW or Moog makes a heavy duty idler arm. Is one better than the other? What about Mcquay Norris which is sold by Autozone and Advance Auto? Anyone know anything about its quality, as it comes with a lifetime warranty?

Regards,

Jim

Jim,

Beleive it or not, when Vette Brakes sent me the complete Performance Plus package, the idler arm was a basic normal TRW type replacement. No roller bearing. I called them and discussed it. They said that it was not as important as people make it out to be, and the needle bearing is easily contaminated and can fail from street use (rain, salted roads, engine washing, etc).

So, if they don't insist on it, I don't think you need to worry about it. A good quality factory replacement should be just fine.

Thanks for the response. Everything I read says to upgrade to the needle bearing idler arm. To boot, I found an online parts store that sell the moog cheaper than the big local discount store sells the trw.

Regards,

Jim

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom