Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Best Motor Oil for High Compreesion Engines

• Thread starter Thread starter Kicnrocks
  • Start date Start date
K

Kicnrocks

I have a newly rebuilt 68 427/435, What is the best motor oil to use with this type of high compression engine? I plan on using the ZDDPLUS oil additive to protect the cam and lifter foot,(non-roller cam) have newer style valve guides installed, but am wondering if anyone can offer advice on which oil provided the best protection for this type of motor?

oil is like underwear, everyone has their favorite and will hold on to them forever.

amsoil, valvoline vr1, anything with zddp in it, brad penn, joe gibbs

Here's a good article that might shed some light on your decision making.

Corvette Action Center | Tech | Engine Oil Deep Dive - CAC's Comprehensive Look at Engine Oil and Flat-Tappet Camshaft Durability

I use Mobil-1 10w30 full synth. There's typically various flavors of this oil. I think the content is actually distinguished by the cap color and not what they are labeled as (Truck/RV, High Mileage, etc). In short, I pick the one with the least amount of API and ILSAC certifications. If I have a correct comprehension of the above article, the more current certs means less phosphorus, which is the opposite of what we want.

And I use Mobil-1 oil filters.

Oh, and I have yet to find a better price than WalMart on the 5-qt jugs of Mobil-1. Usually around $23, which is way cheaper than individual quarts. Also, if you are just breaking in the engine, there may be other considerations to account for.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom