Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

best & worst vet 84-96

onejivej

i want a vette! ever since i saw that tv show route 66 i have wanted a vette. today i look at a 06. it had 45000 mil on it. it also had a soft top blk on blk in blk. beautiful. they wanted 26989 for it is that a good deal. need all the help i can get thank all of u

father & son

Sounds good,check Ebay

i want a vette! ever since i saw that tv show route 66 i have wanted a vette. today i look at a 06. it had 45000 mil on it. it also had a soft top blk on blk in blk. beautiful. they wanted 26989 for it is that a good deal. need all the help i can get thank all of u

There may be problems with certain year C4's, but there is no bad year C4....If we didn't have problems in cars, we couldn't advance the technology or the styling....that's how we learn; from our mistakes....
:beer

there is no bad year C4.
This is an old thread and a revisit of a topic that can touch some nerves.

I have had my '84 since '85; #5 Vette, for me. #6, an '05 came and went quickly. The '85 had a one-year-only ECM, BTW.

The '84 was recognized as a huge step onto the world stage with a car that could, off the showroom floor, humble some exotics at a fraction of the cost. Sure, the beancounters forced it to be made it cheaper and the cars were and still are snootily berated, but the car kicks many butts! Imagine what a $150k Corvette could do!

The Crossfire and Doug Nash were misunderstood; a topic thrashed to death. Actually, the O/D was NOT the problem, but control issues and the T-10's minimal strength (and limited upgrade options) grew out of proportion to reality. Today, I put over 500 ft.lbs. thru the 4+3, albeit rather as gently as possible.

With the TPI modified 409 engine, I quickly realized the superb AMERICAN engineering that is in the car, delivering world class handling if limited raw grunt, while reliable enough for milk runs. It was the only production car capable of 1G lateral. Stock, my Z-51 '84 could make by eyeballs bounce from lateral G loading and also reach 150mph; or deliver 23-24 mpg on the highway!

Sure, the TBI had little pull above about 4200 rpm because it was the first engine that delivered big torque numbers down low, while eschewing the hyped peak HP numbers that many drivers lusted after. The smallish intake ports below the glorified-carburetor, solenoid-squirting TB gave a high velocity intake charge at low RPM and great torque due to those small ports, but also restricted airflow at high RPM. ECM computing capability was limited and quite new, so latter model years 'improved' some aspects, as tech allowed. Chevy responded to the rattle and squeak complaints with a big push to reduce them in the '87s onward, just as they responded to dealers' lack of knowledge on the advanced car by sending factory trainers to train 'the field'.
Most of the Corvette community is welcoming and supportive of all Corvettes. :w I embrace the 'there is NO bad Corvette' philosophy, but caution against trying to 'best' one '84 that can, and has embarrassed some Jap sport bikes!

I would not trade my 1984....

I had a 1960 Corvette for many years, but if I had a choice I would not trade my '84 for my '60. The '84 with Z51 handles great and is a heck of a lot of fun to drive. My pickup truck corners better than my 1960 did. I also like the lines of the early C4's. The 1984 Z51 lets you feel the road and handles corners with ease. Compared to the newer Corvettes it's not over the top with power, but it has the ability to get you a speeding ticket if not carefull.:)

I'm a fan of the 95's. More refined and without the aggravating OBD2 junk on board. Crank position sensor? We don't need no stinking sensor!!

think about all of the 1984 cars...any stand out in your mind...something had to win and it was corvette by default... you should drive a 1984..harsh ride, lacks power
the cross fire injection is a nightmare

[Edited by brooks on 03-08-2001 at 11:22 AM]

Harsh ride? Drive on smooth roads, the firm suspension is for cornering. I still retain the crossfire and run in the 13's. Not super fast but respectable for an 80's vette. The crossfire hasn't failed me and the injection is how old?

father & son

Ditto!!

Harsh ride? Drive on smooth roads, the firm suspension is for cornering. I still retain the crossfire and run in the 13's. Not super fast but respectable for an 80's vette. The crossfire hasn't failed me and the injection is how old?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom