Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Best year for a C5!!!!!!!!!!

Best year with the least problems!!!

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 2 13.3%

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 7 46.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you're looking to replace your C4 with a C5 (other than new), then the best C5 is the newest one you can afford. Period.

A general rule of thumb is that the longer a model has been in production the better it gets. They get all the assembly problems worked out, all the tweeks in, and produce an overall better product. So go with as late of a model and best condition C5 as you can afford.

tom...

Hi

With todays declining prices, a C5 can be picked up for $25-30,000 in excellent condition with low miles.

As far as the year, it really doesn't seem to matter. The 97 thru 01 are about 2-3 thou apart.

Now if you go thru a dealer, it's a different ball game. They are in the business to make money and have to give a guarantee and pay a salesman's commission.

The only troubling thing is that on a previous thread regarding odometer tampering gets me sick.

In New Jersey it's a $50,000 fine, but thats if they get caught

I think the later the model in the C5 cars, the better you probably would be as far as general overall problems occuring. I ordered and purchased a '02 new. Have been very happy with it. I also ordered and purchased a '02 Firebird Trans Am Collector Edition new, it has the same drivetrain as the 'vette, not near as happy with it. Warren

Gorgon said:
The HUD wasn't available in the FRC in 99 but was available in the coupe and vert. I believe the HUD was available for the 00 FRC though.

Leon

The HUD was not available on the 01 Z06, but was standard starting in 02 on the Z06.

Best year Vette

OH MY, they are all great, as you know each year there are advancements in Vette industry, for I have enjoyed the 76, the 81, the 95 and now the 99. I see a great improvement in body styles, engine preformance, gadets and whistle. I was highly impressed with the 95, but when I stepped into the 99 without the high threshole I was amazed, I vote for my 99. Doc

Everyone keeps saying that 99frc didn't come with HUD. It wasn't a standard option but you could order it. Mine has it and i have seen several more. When i was looking to buy my car i found three within a 100 mile radius with HUD. There must be quite a few out there.

I guess the very best year would be the 2001 Coupe. (sylver of course)

rplaster said:
Everyone keeps saying that 99frc didn't come with HUD. It wasn't a standard option but you could order it. Mine has it and i have seen several more. When i was looking to buy my car i found three within a 100 mile radius with HUD. There must be quite a few out there.

You are correct rplaster. My '98 had the knock-outs for HUDs but the option was not available until the '99 model.

I have HUD on my '03, now I can't drive without it!

BTW: Welcome to CAC rplaster!

:CAC

Prices Dropping!!!!!!!

Hi

It seems that the bulk of Vettes for sale are the 98-02. The 97 for some reason besides producing a nominal amount are sparse in the resale market. But the main reason could be that they had the most problems being that it was the first of the C5s.

If you check Cars.com three quarters of the vettes for sale are the C5s, it tells you something.

The prices are mainly based on condition, mileage and then year. Most of the vette owners selling their C5s have no idea what to ask for and follow the dealerships lead, minus a few thousand dollars.

But what they forget is that the dealer took the vette in on a trade and played with the numbers ($$$) so that they can resell it and make a profit. Keep in mind that the dealership has the right to make a profit because they have to check out the vette and fix any glaring problem and change the tires and give a warranty, plus pay a commission to sell and then make a profit.

As an example if a dealership pays $20,000 for a C5 he will probably list it at $33,000 and then sell it for $31,000 after the smoke clears. The dealership will let the person trading in the C5 think he is really getting more because he will make up the diff on the new C5.

If he isn't trading it in, in a Chevy dealership he will be offerred less.

The prices are different all across the States depending where you live and the color of the vette.

Alan

p.s. The diff in prices between low mileage and minto late C4s and early C5s with med-high mileage is closing.

Re: 2003 C5

kingman said:

The 2003 is too expensive compared with earliar years, and if l was going to step out for a 2003, l might as well wait for the C6.

;stupid

Like the Stock market!!!!!!!!!

Hi

Being that my 96LT1 is trouble free and is holding its price, l might as well wait until Feb before l really start to look for a used C5. The reason is, that the prices are still falling due to the lack of demand and that there are so many C5's for sale. It's a buyers market right now but will change after the C6 comes out.

In my opinion 85% of the new C6 buyers will be first time buyers, who will step out for it because it's new and they want to be the first on the block to own one.

The baby boomers will be the main buyers.

Alan

rplaster said:

Sorry rplaster, I mistakenly thought my Corvette Blackbook stated that the HUD was available for coupe and convertible only for 1999. I plan on looking at it again this evening when I get home from work and verifying it. The model center here does not state the option was not available on the FRC. I sure wish mine had the HUD. :(

BTW, welcome to the CAC. :w

Leon

17k miles and it drives smoooooth.......
until I press further down on that thing in lower right hand corner............
I think it is connected to my face, cuz it always makes me smile....feels solid, like it will stay this way for a dozen years.
No problems worth going back to the dealer for yet.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom