Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

BF GOODRICH TYRES

MADLT1

Corvette
lt1 71 brans hatch green convertible
i heard a rumour!is it true bf goodrich tyres are no longer made in the usa,or did they give permission to china to replicate there brand?if so how can i tell which one is which?

i heard a rumour!is it true bf goodrich tyres are no longer made in the usa,or did they give permission to china to replicate there brand?if so how can i tell which one is which?
Well, BFG hasn't actually made tires in a long time. Years ago the tire/rubber portion of the company was sold to Michelin. Michelin kept the name for brand awareness purposes.

I work for a company that supplies a lot of the raw materials to tire companies. Let me see if I can dig up anything.

Well, I didn't get too far as the portion of the business that dealt with the manufacturing of the tires themselves was sold. This was all I got for a response:

Michelin purchased both BF Goodrich and Uniroyal Tire many years ago. Michelin still runs some of those US plants and still markets under those brands. I do not know if some of those brands are made in China but it is quite likely.

Basically, what our company does, well a part of our company that was also sold off but we still support, is takes the raw materials, pelletizes them, and then sends the material back to the vendor where they then ship it off to their mfg facilities.

I've said this in other threads in the past. As far as tires and a lot of other products, while they may be "Made in China" or stamped with some other place of origin, there's a lot of US$ and manpower that goes into them.
We have worked exclusively with companies such as Michelin, Perelli, and others creating custom (re: secretive/trademarked/patented) rubber/synthetic compounding formulas. While the tires may actually be spun overseas, much of the legwork is done by US people or other non-asian countries. The chinese involvement is the last, easiest, and cheapest step in the process.

thanks for the the reply,very inforive,and glad that america is still involved in a great tyre of the past.:upthumbs

The above is a lot of PR spin and BS.

The fact is that there are no tires made anywhere in the world for road-going Corvettes older than 1984 which are true performance tires safe for use on a road car. Virtually all of them are broad-market-replacemet tires "masqureading" as high-performance tires. Some of them might be "all-season" rated but none will be speed-rated high enough for use in true performance applications. Most broad market tires are not made in USA nor do they use materials made in the USA.

The only way to get good, made-in USA ultra-performance street radials on a car that old is to upgrade to at least 17-inch wheels.

fiar enough if you want to go off road raceing,but i prefer the classic look of the 70s.

The above is a lot of PR spin and BS.
That's directed at my statement? If so, wold you explain your comment?

The fact is that there are no tires made anywhere in the world for road-going Corvettes older than 1984 which are true performance tires safe for use on a road car. Virtually all of them are broad-market-replacemet tires "masqureading" as high-performance tires. Some of them might be "all-season" rated but none will be speed-rated high enough for use in true performance applications. Most broad market tires are not made in USA nor do they use materials made in the USA.
Did I miss something where he or someone else was asking about "true performance" tires? All he did was ask about the BFG brand and not any specific tire.
And if he or anyone else was inferring that the BFG WLR T/A were performance tires...I don't think anyone is under the impression they are performance tires. They are for "show", not "go".

The only way to get good, made-in USA ultra-performance street radials on a car that old is to upgrade to at least 17-inch wheels.
Yep, and that's the only reason I'm ordering 17" rims in the next month or two. I've finally conceded to the fact that no one is going to release any 17" street performance tires with white letters so there's no reason for me to wait anymore. (I had a glimmer of hope years ago when the new mustang was being shown around with a pair of 17" BFG Comp TA's with white letters, but they never brought 'em to market. :()

I have an 84 Corvette and last Fall i bought a set of Sumitomo HTR-Z tires for it from Tire Rack, there are damn slim pickins for tires for a 84 Vette and even slimmer chances of finding aftermarket wheels. But the tires are rated high Permormance and feature jointless nylon ribs and steel belts and steel sidewalls for better handling. Not a bad tire, not much to look at but a real decent road tire.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom