Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Big Block C1's

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
I remember reading here last year some time about a fellow or fellows who had a C1 with a big block in it .Are you still around?

I think there are more than one here but 60w427 has been around the longest. He lives in Michigan up by Flint. Here is his most recent post.

Tom

I'm still around. I had ISP problems (aol). Finally found another service that might work out. When spring rolls around and the vette comes back out, I should start getting "We missed you" cards from the gas companies. ;)

60w427

Hi my name is larry I am trying to aquire a C1 for a tupe frame convertion and I plan on using a bib block chevy in it. Do You have any picture of the engine bay you could share.

What type of a radiator are you using.

THANKS ALOT

Tanks for the link tom

Larry - I'm using a Be Cool radiator with a Spal fan. I'm running right around 195* to 205*. I'll try and figure out how to post some pictures this weekend. I'm computer illiterate.:D

60w427 if there digital email them to me and I will host them on my web site and then post them here.

I am computer iliterate and if I can post pictures on the internet everybody can.

If you want drop me an email and I will exspain how to do it.IT IS SIMPLE the most important part is getting them hosted some place.

Also if you have a picture of your car I can also help you set it up as an avatar (the symbol under your name on a post ) Or as your sig picture.Ask and you shall recive.

As I said if I can do it then everybody can

There are a few of us...

My radiator is a griffin with two large tubes that make up the core. I think they are 1.5 in. and I also use a spal fan like 60w427. The engine runs about 180-200 degrees.

There are some pictures in the gallery of my car... I'll see if I can post some the engine compartment for you.

If you have any more questions I'll be happy to reply.

Chris

C1 with L88 and used for drags

This C1 had a L88. The frame X section was removed and a new crossmember installed for the tranny. The engine mounts are welded in place from the frame instead of the usual front water pump mounting. The frame is very rigid and removing the X did not affect anything and makes for installing exhaust, mufflers, and just about anything else very nice. And the original rear end was replaced with a dodge 8 3/4 with one side narrowed two inches. Everything lines up just perfect. One extra leaf spring and a pinion snubber and that is it.

Re: C1 with L88 and used for drags

slarsen47 said:
This C1 had a L88. The frame X section was removed and a new crossmember installed for the tranny. The engine mounts are welded in place from the frame instead of the usual front water pump mounting. The frame is very rigid and removing the X did not affect anything and makes for installing exhaust, mufflers, and just about anything else very nice. And the original rear end was replaced with a dodge 8 3/4 with one side narrowed two inches. Everything lines up just perfect. One extra leaf spring and a pinion snubber and that is it.

Slarsen is there supposed to be a photo attached ?

No picture, the car has since been converted back to a small block.

I am a new member of this board, so please excuse me if I make any errors in posting.

IH2LOSE said:
60w427 if there digital email them to me and I will host them on my web site and then post them here.

I am computer iliterate and if I can post pictures on the internet everybody can.

If you want drop me an email and I will exspain how to do it.IT IS SIMPLE the most important part is getting them hosted some place.

Also if you have a picture of your car I can also help you set it up as an avatar (the symbol under your name on a post ) Or as your sig picture.Ask and you shall recive.

As I said if I can do it then everybody can
how can do it?it keeps saying the picis to big

offshore just resize them in a photo editor program .If you dont have a program email them to me and I will resize them quick for you to up load them.Do you want to use one as a avitor or for a linked picture in a post? I am here to help any way I can

IH2LOSE said:
offshore just resize them in a photo editor program .If you dont have a program email them to me and I will resize them quick for you to up load them.Do you want to use one as a avitor or for a linked picture in a post? I am here to help any way I can
Avitor. and I need your e-mail add. i just sent you mine:cool

slarsen47 said:
No picture, the car has since been converted back to a small block.

I am a new member of this board, so please excuse me if I make any errors in posting.
Hey slarsen...
I have often thought about such a change for my project '61..especially since I already have a high dollar big block I built for a boat that I no longer own..
Could you tell me about any drawbacks you encountered with your big block C1 and why you went back to the small block. I am very interested in any information you have about this application.

Thanks ...S. M.

Big Block C1

Sorry for lack of responses, have been busy, retiring soon, will have time.....

I did not own this car up until recently, although I know the previous owner and can discuss and get some details.

The X frame was removed and standard chevy engine mounts welded to the frame. This way there is lots of room. The Corvette frame is probably overly designed back in those days. The previous owner advises that the car ran 11 flat with a four speed at 126 mph back many years ago, when this was relatively fast. Would carry the front wheels. Was fairly simple arrangement with a twelve bolt and pinion snubber. No roll bar, no electronics or transmission brakes, just a helmet and go.

For drag racing a big block with cubic inches is great. For street, just a headache.

This car is now on the street with a small block and is not street raced. For street don't need more than a small block. Plenty of power, less weight on the front, less of a cooling problem, less heat.

Attached is a picture of the car as it sits today.

Thanks for the post slarsen...

Yep, I understand for just crusing and no racing, street or otherwise, a smallblock would be preferable.
I was just curious about how the car handled with a big block and other specifics....its such easy muscle and cheaper to build for me. In fact horsepower is cheaper for me with a big block regardless...a good set of heads for a small block cost $1200 these days...where a little porting on big block heads will make them flow decently and so on.....
My problem is that the winged out, souped up riceburners , the mustangs on the bottle and what ever else you can imagine roam the streets around here. I'm not exactly a street racer at 55 like I was at 25 (yea, right...), but I still don't want one of these terds to embarass my Corvette...and it's hard for me to ignore a challenge. I'm a semi-retired mechanic, not a white collar man with deep pockets. I can make a big block breath heavy for much less money (that's the key) and still be much more streetable than a hard running small block.
My cars always have been sleepers...this one will probably "be" the exeption... people expect "any" Corvette to be fast. I'd hate to let them down.

I will probably build a $4500 383 stroker or something....I mean that's what every body else does right ??...Maybe that's the real problem...I want something different...if it can be done practically.

Any other big block C1 guys got a word or two on the subject...I'd like to hear any first hand information on your experiences, and what you would do differently if you did it again...or if you would do it again at all.

I suspect that slarsen is right....a big block is too much headache...

Best regards....Stan

How about a small block 400. No substitute for cubic inches on the street. It would be a real sleeper as it could almost be made to look like a 283. I bought one and was just about ready to put it in my 61 when I found a correct dated 283 and decided to put that in instead. My next one will definitely have a 400 SB! Just have to be sure to not forget about external crank balancing and drilling the heads etc.

The heft of an iron BB in a C1 will undoubtably make ride & handling a chore. A BB C1 rates high on the "wow" meter, but you don't need a BB to make a C1 walk away from the Honda's and 4.6's. SB stroker kits have been around long enough now that the prices have come down. If you have a 350 or 400 block, and you're adept at rebuilding your own engine, either one of these stroker kits will fit the bill;
www.speedomotive.com/Stroker Kits.htm
Pick yer weapon...a 383 to scream or a 406 to snort. The $4000-$5000 price tags you see are most often racers dumping an extra $1800 into port work etc. trying to extract that last 5%, or folks busting the bank on turnkey crate motors. Applying the cost/return equation here means building a no-frills, plain-jane, iron head, carb'd 406 yourself that will be an absolute pleasure to drive every week, consistantly provide 425-450 ft.lbs of RW torque for 100,000 miles, and cost less than $3000. If you actually drive the C1 often enough you may cross paths with the occasional full-turbo'd Civic or blown 4.6, but most of them are wheels, wings and fart cans.
If your bent on max power, even the score with a paxton style under-hood blower.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom